Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

... floor grating - Does anyone know what the material used might have been, or what the dimensions of the the
grating plates were?

Hi Steve,

Those are simple plastic euro-pallets, you can get those either at the Prop Store or a bit cheaper (not screen used though) from most European forwarding agencies. They are roughly 31 1/2 × 47 1/4" (80 x 120 cm) - I have several of them in my collection and can provide exact dimensions tomorrow (hopefully) if that would be of help.

Your Falcon is just great by the way... Kudos!

Cheers,
Falk

just did a google search for "plastic pallets", apparently they are designed exclusively with sci-fi flooring use in mind... Either that or they're just so commonly used for that purpose in movies that it's all we can see in them. Either way, thanks for the info Falk!

Also got a tip from another member with pictures of the pallets close up. Looks like they were used for pretty much every none solid surface, floors, walls, and ceilings included, in most of the OT, not to mention in Alien and Aliens.
In fact the back wall of the ANH falcon's main hold, which I originally took for some type of corrugated sheeting, seems to also be made of the same pallets. These things must have cost a dime a dozen during production.

I keep toying with the idea of modeling them and having a bunch of them printed in 3d miniature, as a base for a scale model of the main hold...

Chris, I got your email, and I'll reply when, as you suggest, things are less hectic. Thanks!

I keep toying with the idea of modeling them and having a bunch of them printed in 3d miniature, as a base for a scale model of the main hold...

YES PLEASE!!!! In 1/6 would be great! I have the Sideshow Holochess table and its lonely. ;)

41lDUG3BQOL.jpg

Hey folks,
here's the latest walkthrough video, which includes the much more accurate docking bay 94 that I built and posted renders of a while ago. The only real progress since that work is that I modeled and installed the pallets for the flooring, which you can see in the video.

More on those later.

here's the link:

YouTube - Millennium Falcon 3D Walthrough

enjoy!

special request time, folks!

early-millennium-falcon-pics-n671305666_1590385_9620.jpg-10514d1232485660

does anyone have any more pictures of this maquette? I know of at least one more that appears in "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" featuring a layout of the deathstar hanger, instead of docking bay 94 pictured here.

I would greatly appreciate it!

Anyone know where to get that flooring in the US!!

I need it.

I had no idea it was common in the UK. I looked here and couldn't find a match.

Steve - get back on this project!!! :)

Hi there Steve, fantastic work! :love

I've stumble on this tread looking for some references for my own Falcon project which is very similar to yours as it requires the re-creation of all the Falcon sets with movie accuracy.

So looking at this render of yours, I've noticed the presence of blueprints on the side and the floor. I wonder what are those and where do they come from?
here's some fun

5361076324_19c41640e0_b.jpg
About that:
special request time, folks!

early-millennium-falcon-pics-n671305666_1590385_9620.jpg-10514d1232485660

does anyone have any more pictures of this maquette? I know of at least one more that appears in "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" featuring a layout of the deathstar hanger, instead of docking bay 94 pictured here.

I would greatly appreciate it!
I happen to own this book and I can't seem to find what you're talking about :confused

Anyway, it's kind of funny as it seems you & I have been busy doing a very similar archeology work on Star Wars at the same time at two opposite sides of the world (I'm from Belgium :))
My own work is all about scales in Star Wars, unlike yours, I do only 2d blueprints re-creations, with the objective of creating some illustrations art. In my sig you will find a link to several scale analysis that I made on Original trilogy forums.
Falcon's not finished but here's some glimpse of it:
FalconsizeWIP1.jpg

FalconsizeWIP2.jpg

Discussing about scales in star wars (Page 4) - savmagoett - November 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM - originaltrilogy.com forum

Last edited:
savmagoett,
oh whoops, you're right. It's not in Star Wars to Indiana Jones, it's in Rinzler's Making of Star Wars (page 127, along with some great photos of a maquette of the Falcon's interior). Thanks for catching that.

Great work, by the way. The plans I have are from ANH production, but are not accurate to the completed set piece, I've noticed. still a fair guide. What you've got here looks almost better than it does.

Great work, by the way. The plans I have are from ANH production, but are not accurate to the completed set piece, I've noticed. still a fair guide. What you've got here looks almost better than it does.

wow I've been desperately looking for those, could you share them with me, I'm sure it would help me figure out some things, I would really appreciate, pleeeeeeeeease : )

You are doing an absolute awesome cool job!!!
I realy like it!!
If I ever build a new house, it will loke like the Falcon :D

Yes! It was the "Behind The Magic" CD ROM, and I just so happen to have it sitting here on my desk at work. This thread actually inspired me to dig it up a few weeks ago, but it is not compatible with my Windows7 PC at home. So I brought it to work and tried to install it on my XP computer here at work, but it wont launch correctly. I did a Google search to see if I could run it on Win7 but didn't find any help. Wish I could get this to run so I could go through the Falcon again!

man I gotta see this thing. I'm really surprised there isn't a video of it up on youtube... I doubt it's a copyright persuit issue, seeing as you can watch the entire trilogy in parts on youtube...
I can help with that. Last year I managed to install the "Behind The Magic" CD ROM via Virtual PC on my Mac, to make some captures.
The whole thing was a mix between ANH & ESB sets, with some liberty imagining the rest of the corridors, the hatch access and the bunk compartment. It was a walkthrough similar to the game Myst, where you got forward, backward, left and right buttons that would drive you throughout the ship in a series of pre-calculated camera moves.
I must say it was a real beautiful job they did back then, especially considering the date (1998).
Here are some:
ENJOY!
SWBMScreen014.jpg

SWBMScreen009.jpg

SWBMScreen006.jpg

SWBMScreen048.jpg

SWBMScreen056.jpg

SWBMScreen072.jpg

SWBMScreen115.jpg

SWBMScreen118.jpg

On this one I brought up the map, looking at the overall layout I don't think it's proportional though! (You are the red dot looking south-west)
SWBMScreen171.jpg

The following screen is the corridor showing the hatch access, it's just at the left hand of the screen above.
SWBMScreen131.jpg

The next one is the bunk compartment (supposedly where Luke was resting after being rescued), just past the corner on the right of the last screen.
SWBMScreen170.jpg

SWBMScreen139.jpg

SWBMScreen145.jpg

SWBMScreen148.jpg

SWBMScreen150.jpg

SWBMScreen158.jpg

SWBMScreen161.jpg

Here you got a little animation of the chess table hologram monsters
SWBMScreen166.jpg

I did 171 step by step screens, I can send them to you if you're interested…

Last edited:
I ripped the videos from this cd and can play each one back, but have not been able to put it in a form to post. The files are tooo big. I was always impressed with the walkthrough.

Ozzy

5880287189_9086773925_o.jpg
5880850004_18327b3396_o.jpg
5880850038_3902d740ca_o.jpg

hey folks.

sorry for the long long delay

I've been working on a new exterior model for while. The model was built from a fairly low-res copy of ESB plans for the greebles of the full scale falcon (underside), which are presented in JW Rinzler's new book of blueprints. matching the plans for the full scale landing gear I have, I was able to determine that the full scale falcon had an overall length of 85'6". The rest was modeled from an elevation view of the ramp, with partial cross section, presented in the same book. This is the closest I've ever got to an accurate FS falcon, and I'm pretty excited about it. That said, I made this model from a pretty low-res preview scan from the book, because I don't have the 500 they're asking just laying around, so it still has a lot of room for improvement.

as for the Lucas Arts walkthrough, man that thing is not half bad.

the dashboard in the cockpit is pretty atrociously innacurrate, but I have to say the rest of the ship looks pretty damn good to me. To those of you who said mine was looking better, I'm flattered, but there's a lot of parts of this that have got me outclassed and outgunned. These guys really did their homework.

There are some things I'd like to round this thread out with in future, and I'd like to try to gauge folks interest in:

ANH Cockpit decals from all my panel work (which I had promised on like page 2...), possibly as a printed or printable set that could be ordered for various scaled projects.

3d printable models of the pilot/copilot chairs, and or scale replicas of the pallets used in the main hold (of which I have now made a nice model). I also could potentially convert my couch and holo-chess to a printable model, but that might be some serious work (the coushins are full of weird geometry and holes).

plans, cross-sections and details for replicating the full-scale falcon as a 32", 5' (or anything between or beyond) scale model.

what do you think guys?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back