Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by SteveStarkiller, Dec 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

Hi folks,
    I'm a pretty new user, and I wanted to post the project I'm currently working on. I realize the forum is dedicated to real models, and believe me I wish I were making a real model of this, but I feel like you guys will appreciate this model. I also sort of hope to use this model as a basis for a real version, either scaled down or, the real dream, a full scale version.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm attempting to make the cockpit as screen accurate as possible to the ANH version, which has many differences from the rest of the trilogy--working from production blueprints, many screen grabs and behind the scenes stills.

My biggest roadblocks at the moment are the two largest side panels on the Han side of the cockpit, which are temporarily symetrical with Chewie's side. very few images exist of that side without Han's grinning face blocking all the juicy details. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone had some images.

The model is also available on sketchup for anyone who wants to take a look: Cockpit of the Millennium Falcon by stince - Google 3D Warehouse

any feedback or critiques is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it! Look forward to seeing it develop.

Is there room for the second row of chairs?

3. SteveStarkiller

Thanks Treadwell!

Absolutely, although I agree that it looks like it's going to be cramped. The basic construction of the cockpit for Empire was almost identical in design to this one, except that there's about a foot or more extra room added to the back half, no doubt to address this very problem.

4. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's pretty cool ! I like it :thumbsup

5. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

You should try to sell it to Playstation. They have the cantina as a location you can interact with other PS3 people so if they could extend it to the hanger bay and have the falcon..that would be fun!

6. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

This is really awesome. I'm looking forward to watching this thread develop. I'd love to see you or somebody take these plans and build a 'real-world' mock-up of the Falcon's cockpit. Who know's, once you finish I might even try to build a full-scale mock-up one of these years! Although I think I'd rather have the extra room of the ESB or ROTJ cockpit. Good luck!

7. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did we ever see a good shot of the pilot's side instrument panel and actual hand controls?

I think Leia was "steering" something in Empire if memory serves.

8. SteveStarkiller

Just so long as you build it in the US and I can come visit the thing.

I agree that the ESB dimensions would be preferable for a real build, especially since I see hanging out inside with friends

9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Great work.
    I like it.

Al

10. SteveStarkiller

there are few good shots of the steering columns, but they only feature in the ESB and ROTJ cockpits

[​IMG]

there's a better one in black and white the shows the whole panel and those controls very clearly but I'll have to dig it up again

11. SteveStarkiller

Thanks for all the comments guys, I look forward to posting more progress

12. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Doesn't the cockpit have four chairs instead of just two?

13. SteveStarkiller

Found it.

[​IMG]

@ Laspector
    You're right there are four chairs. The rear seats are pretty complex and I haven't got to them yet. They're similar to the Nav Chair in the main room of the falcon, with a few differences, but still a little tricky to reference. There's a lot of little stuff going on that's obscured by cast members or other objects/angles. rest assured that they'll be there in when I done though.

14. Xenomorph666

Xenomorph666 New Member

Looks amazing

15. CessnaDriver

What the heck did they make those control yokes out of!?

16. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

Awesome Work Sir!!

I look forward to more of your work, being ANH Falcon fan myself!
    Kershner made those changes to the cockpit in Empire because of how cramped it was, Much to Lucas's dissastifaction! He wanted it cramped like a real Cockpit!

Again, Nice Work!

17. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Hi SteveStarkiller, I was wondering if you've ever seen Ozzyguanche's work? The control panels have fantastic detail and it includes the front control panel, the side panels, the backpanel and the gun turrets. It's a flat view though - Unlike the perspective drawings you are coming up with It's really meant for super-detailing the scale model cockpit. They're the drawings you'll find in this link.

1/6th Millennium Falcon Cockpit - Page 5 - Sideshow Freaks

And Dorgmal Snow at Sideshow Freaks used the same drawings to detail the panels for his sick 1/6th cockpit, aside from his own greeblies - with fantastic results: 1/6th Millennium Falcon Cockpit - Page 41 - Sideshow Freaks

18. SteveStarkiller

@crackerjazz

Yes, I've seen their work. Dorgmal's model is what actually inspired this project. I started out copying his in sketchup and using Ozzyguanche's textures, but started all over from scratch when I saw a few things I would change or tweak--plus I wanted to go for the obsessive photo matching.

19. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Hey, look at those volvo dash panels LOL

20. Rats

Rats Sr Member

21. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rats -

Cool links. I hadn't seen those.

I'm currently building the NAV chair and have a MK4 seat as the base. One thing surprised me and has me frustrated. The defining feature of the seat in Star Wars is the upper headrest. My MK4 headrest is slightly different. I didn't notice it until I really got into building the chair. The Star Wars head rest has a wider angle to it and points to the sky at about 20 to 30 degree angle. My headrest points forward at about 0 degrees. All the MK4s that I have seen look like mine.

You can actually see this in this picture Rats posted...

http://www.martin-baker.com/getdoc/2...ESCAPE_03.aspx

Another Star Wars mystery perhaps.

I would love to find out why this is.

Also, Stevestarkiller - what are the differences between the Nav chair and the 2 cockpit chairs? I cant say I really noticed any other than the tupperware lid/circle seems to be recessed more on some of the seats.

22. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Great build and cool photos! I was happy to see control yokes in ESB; I've always hated those "flying complex maneuvers with random unmarked switches" scenes ("Forbidden World" is a particularly stellar example). During the ANH Death Star escape/TIE battle, Chewy looks like he's rocking out on an electric piano.

23. Rats

Rats Sr Member

I agree, I thought that the Mk4 upper headrest was slightly different too and initialy thought the seat looked more like a Mk 5 (?GU5A), but Martin Baker's own newsletter should get it right (you would think?).
    The hole in the side of the headrest (where the parachute straps go) looks like it's in a different position in the Falcon to all of the Mk 4 pictures I've seen online. There are a multitude of variants of all the MB seats though...

Maybe we should email MB and ask which variant they think it is??

24. SteveStarkiller

the clearest difference is the absence of the 'second' head rest. A sort of skullcap shaped deal above the ejector seat part (see attached)

the cockpit chairs also (I suspect) have no arm rests. It's difficult to say, but I can't imagine they would with the limited space, especially in the cramped ANH cockpit.

I just went over the movie with a fine toothed comb looking for screen grabs I could use for referencing, and the cockpit chairs are never seen fully or clearly below the headrest. There's a possibility that their dimensions, aside from the ejector seat head, are smaller, but I won't know until I try to fit them in. They'll probably be the last part I build.

25. SteveStarkiller

got some panel work done last night, but all my renders turned out for crap. I'm still trying to figure out the render software I'm using (indigo) and it's making me pull my hair out. I left my machine rendering while I'm at work today, so hopefully I'll have something good when I get home and I'll post them.

Stay tuned, same falcon time, same falcon channel.

26. SteveStarkiller

in the meantime, how about we make this a ANH falcon reference thread?

Here's a couple of the best one's I've got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one above is actually either the ESB or ROTJ cockpit under construction. Note the extra depth of the rear section. The bare wood paneling there, as contrasted to the black, is the new section. Otherwise, comparing this to the model I constructed from the ANH blueprints, it's virtually identical.

A further note about the differences: the console of the ESB falcon is oriented low and tilted forward, as it appears in the blueprint. The ANH console is raised up about six inches and tilted back so that the top surface of the center column is horizontal (see the picture above with the guy standing in the cockpit). My best guess is that they made this modification after they found difficulty fitting Peter Mayhew in the original low/tilted plan...

27. Stormy320

I'm positive in ESB the cockpit chairs have the armrest. I can't tell in ANH. You can see this in the new book "Making of the Empire Strikes Back".

You're right. I forgot about the "skull" cap.

RATS - If someone can contact MB, that would be awesome. I'm not sure how to go about it. I did talk to an online owner of a ejection seat website who is somewhat an expert and he didn't offer an explanation.

As they say - ship of riddles.

28. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Here are a couple of ref shots. I realize one is from ESB but it may be useful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. SteveStarkiller

I gotta get that book.

I have Rinzler's Making of Star Wars, but surprisingly it has all of three stills from the cockpit. One of them is nice and big, but still, you'd think there would have been more.

I'm thinking there are no armrests on the ANH because of the way that Luke and Obi Wan get into them so easily, without having to swivel the whole chair over. Like I said there's not a lot of room in there. Still I could be wrong.

I wish I could see the rest of the firlm-roll on some of these behind the scenes photos. Maybe they're not great pictures, but I bet I could learn a lot from them. Does anyone know where these pictures originated from? Lucasfilm archives or something? I know some of them have been mentioned as appearing in Eurpean magazines, but where did they obtain them?

30. SteveStarkiller

@superjedi

Hey, actually that is super helpful. I just noticed that two of the panels on Han's side look like they could be identical to their ANH counterparts. I have to compare some notes, but that would be amazing, since those two panels are mostly obscured or out of focus throughout ANH.

31. SteveStarkiller

I just did some cross-checking, and it looks like, aside from a few extra blinky lights and square light/button color changes, the panels are the same.

any body got screen caps of this area?

[​IMG]

Can anyone make some!?

32. SteveStarkiller

More pictures as promised
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

Looking good Steve!! I think the hardest part will be the ceiling:confused

34. SteveStarkiller

Working on some of those asymmetrical panels behind han and chewie.

[​IMG]

about the ceiling: you're telling me, faustus. The ceiling panels themselves won't be impossible, there are some decent, if shadowy, views of them. The real trick will be the cluster of levers and I-don't-know-what-else that's nestled into the overhead of the canopy...

Maybe I'll give myself a break from all these lights and switches and work on the broad strokes of the corridor.

35. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

? The ANH set was not leftover for ESB. It was remade from scratch.

36. SteveStarkiller

oh, I just meant 'new' as in added to the design. I knew that they made an all new cockpit for ESB, but I think they used the exact same blueprints--with a few modifications like extra depth. All guessing of course.

I'm also starting to wonder if some of the panels for the ANH interior were saved and reused in the ESB cockpit. There are one or two that are very dead on, where everything else has changed. Maybe I'll put together a comparison to show what I mean.

37. Stormy320

I agree. I find it hard to believe they would have started from scratch and remade the seats as well?

38. TK-326

TK-326 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

http://fullscalefalcon.com/reference_images/dvd_caps_interior/cockpit_pilot_detail1.png

http://fullscalefalcon.com/reference_images/dvd_caps_interior/cockpit_pilot_detail2.png

http://fullscalefalcon.com/reference_images/dvd_caps_interior/cockpit_toggle_switches.png

39. CessnaDriver

Looks like some kind of power curve graph display inside that "scanner" box or whatever it is on the pilot's side.

40. SteveStarkiller

TK-326, thanks a ton for those, they will be very helpful. In the meantime here's some corridor work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a bonus cutaway view of how much corridor I've completed. Who knows how far this will go.

[​IMG]

None of these angles would actually fit in a ship; just to be clear I'm not trying to solve the ship of riddles (although I almost tried, and was just barely pulled back from the brink) These dimensions and angles are all screen-based, trying to figure out what the set might have looked like.

link below for extra large version.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5048/5252603691_839495c6b1_o.jpg

41. SteveStarkiller

42. SteveStarkiller

just a few more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Is that the dice hanging in that shot?

44. SteveStarkiller

I've been wondering that myself. It would put a hole in the idea that the dice only appeared once. If it isn't the dice though, it could be the grips of a couple of the levers that are just out of frame in that area

45. SteveStarkiller

[​IMG]

top row almost complete.

I can't tell if I should work on ceiling panels now, and get them out of the way, or finish up all the lower, more easily referenced panels first.

Do the hard stuff now, so the easy stuff seems easier vs. do the easy stuff and work my way up to the hard stuff so that it's easier?

hmm, also all my switches now look like buttons with soft shadows...gotta make the toggles darker I think.

46. SteveStarkiller

Main console nearing completion

[​IMG]

47. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

Really beautiful work!! And a lot of fun to watch it all coming together:thumbsup

48. SteveStarkiller

thanks faustus.

here's a rough mock up of the back chairs, just trying to see how they'll fit

[​IMG]

49. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I'm watching this thread as I LOVE this ship! (y)thumbsup

GOOD JOB MAN!

50. SteveStarkiller

One more that I left rendering when I went off to work.

[​IMG]