The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Re: The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Hecubus–I believe the price you saw was for Inconel, which was most people’s first choice but has proved (as feared) to be too expensive.

A lot of people would like steel ones at this point, and there is certainly room for a run of aluminum ones, but approximated parts are so common that people are leery of unknown people coming in from left field and offering a design created from secondary sources, sidestepping the attempt to work together and produce a definitive replica based on study of multiple originals.

I certainly don’t want to prevent people from getting good product at a decent price, so let’s say this issue is not dead at this point. :)

thats fine and I understand all of that, but I'm getting this feeling that people think I was somehow trying to rip off or decieve them in some way... mine was what it was... no hidden agenda.

I would be more than happy to do what I can to make these a reality :)

I couldn't agree more with Andres' Long Version.'
IMHO, If anyone wants to produce a run in whatever material, please consider contacting him concerning the finer details of this piece as there's nothing he does not know having studied the few and far between pictures of the original prop, and the actual Derwent part.
If any replica gets the okay from him then that's the final word.

Oh - and I'd be interested in an Aluminum replica for a cut-away, I've had it cutting through steel. :wacko

Howard.

So the overall concensus is that we dont want any special features for attaching it? Every detail the same as the original, correct? And people will choose however they want to attach it?

To be honest I thought your cone idea was a good one.
If you do produce an aluminum run I'd certainly vote yes for a cone.

To be honest I thought your cone idea was a good one.
If you do produce an aluminum run I'd certainly vote yes for a cone.

What type of threading would be used if any? The threading used on a romans saber doesn't fit inside a real booster.

FB

I think those interested in a steel balance pipe replica would want it to be fully accurate but with some attachment/reflector piece added. If the price for that proved too much I expect they’d compromise and accept an integral attachment piece.

The only problem with any attachment piece is that not all sabers go together the same way.

The problem with setting the emitter up for a threaded rod is that the interior will not be capable of being accurate to what appears in the film. The only way to get accuracy to what appears to be going on in the movie is to attach the emitter to the outside of the grenade stem, and there you have the problem that stems come in many different diameters.

The cone design Hecubus has seems to be derived from what Roman came up with, which seems to be a compromised ‘revision’ of the work done on the ‘reflector cone’ idea in a past thread.

I’m looking at several options at this point. A long-time RPFer who owns his own equipment may be able to help us out with this project, or I may get the steel ones done through the booster machinist and help someone else do the best possible aluminum ones.

Last edited:

I agree that if your gonna go with steel, then you might as well go all out and make it %100 accurate to the original. Then people can attach it whichever way they choose. Make a separate piece with a threaded hole should be easy enough.

I say any aluminum ones should be "unidealized idealized" versions in the sense that everything you see when attached to the saber is true to the original, but the inside is made to be easily used for the OWK saber.

I agree that if your gonna go with steel, then you might as well go all out and make it %100 accurate to the original. Then people can attach it whichever way they choose. Make a separate piece with a threaded hole should be easy enough.

I say any aluminum ones should be "unidealized idealized" versions in the sense that everything you see when attached to the saber is true to the original, but the inside is made to be easily used for the OWK saber.

I disagree. We have had many runs of inaccurate emitter in the past (and, I mean no disrespect to those who came before) but given the chance for a near perfect emitter, we should take it. I will personally wait for a steel version that is correct in virtually every detail.

Hecubus, I don't mean to discourage your possible run, and if you do proceed with it, I wish you luck. But why should someone who wants an accurate emitter in aluminum have to settle for an 'unidealzed idealized' version? If you are talking of making a seperate piece to attach the steel emitter, why not do the same thing for aluminum? I have read enough threads about the emitter to see that there are die hards like myself who want a steel/inconel, near perfect emitter. I also see many who want a near perfect version in aluminum to save on cost, weight or whatever. Just a few things to keep in mind when you start your run.

I disagree. We have had many runs of inaccurate emitter in the past (and, I mean no disrespect to those who came before) but given the chance for a near perfect emitter, we should take it. I will personally wait for a steel version that is correct in virtually every detail.

Hecubus, I don't mean to discourage your possible run, and if you do proceed with it, I wish you luck. But why should someone who wants an accurate emitter in aluminum have to settle for an 'unidealzed idealized' version? If you are talking of making a seperate piece to attach the steel emitter, why not do the same thing for aluminum? I have read enough threads about the emitter to see that there are die hards like myself who want a steel/inconel, near perfect emitter. I also see many who want a near perfect version in aluminum to save on cost, weight or whatever. Just a few things to keep in mind when you start your run.

Well, first of all, after speaking with Serafino in private, my run is pretty much dead in the water. I was mistaken about the cost/time of this run, and was going to make a "good enough" in the meantime. I suppose making an aluminum version with all the accurate features as a steel would have makes sense - I just figured all of the die hards such as yourself would pass on aluminum if steel was available. However, this is going to start with ONE version, whether it be steel or aluminum, whether it has a connector or not, and so on. A final agreement on what is most wanted still needs to be made...

This is very much in play. I'm looking at a cheap source for the simpler part as a way of keeping the price manageable, have to work out the details of assembly and so on (why oh why can't everyone be comfortable working with solder or epoxy!!?? ;) ) Will run some ideas past you all later this week.

Alright!!!!

Here we go again!!!

Put me on the list please, Serafino!!!!

-r!

Shh, it's not a list yet, this is just a working-out of the best approach, which is why it can be in the main forum, right? :)

oops... crap... never mind!!!

uh...

GREAT!!!!

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

oy...
-r!

Okay everybody time to wake up a bit. :)

It is looking like it MAY be possible to do a budget version which would also be in steel and be priced at less than the typical aluminum version. The outer piece might be the same as on the more expensive one, and the inside piece with the ring of holes, etc would have compromises in terms of precision--there would be a risk of the ring of holes being off by a few .01", and the seam between the two pieces might be more visible than on the better version.

The better version would cost 1.5 to 2 times the typical aluminum version, but would be very precisely correct in all details, and the seam would be visible about as on originals.

Watch for a survey regarding grenade stems which I will post soon so I can figure out the best way to handle the attachment issue.

MATERIALS: If the price ends up low enough for steel I imagine no one will care about aluminum, right?

FINISH: I would expect to see these have a matte blasted surface on the face of the flange and in the ring of holes, and a clean machined finish on the rest. I am keeping Darth Lars' plating idea on the table, but I am also thinking I'd want to see some unplated and black-oxide treated like the boosters were, with the idea of carefully removing the black from the flange face to get that wonderful matte grey look seen in the movie, then weather as you see fit.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back