My first WIP z Star Destroyer

E3kehoe

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've never done a work in progress thread before so bare with me lol. I received my zvezda star destroyer yesterday and have been researching photos and what not. I've decided that I'm not going to do any lighting due to where and how I'm going to display it when I'm done. Also I am not going for screen accurate because of the size. I am going to go for a more studio style mount and shelf. I intend to give the trenches any super structure a little more depth and detail .Im kind of one of those guys that makes do with what I have. I intend to give it the look and feel of the rogue one star destroyer . I don't see it being a Long build and will work on it between work, family and my DeAg millennium falcon. Wish me luck. And thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5593.JPG
    IMG_5593.JPG
    1,017 KB · Views: 168
Lol yeah I've been meaning to fix that but also kinda like it being annoying ;P I think uploading the photos from my phone does some weird stuff. I try and figure it out.... sometime

Started notching out some of the trinch and upper wall to create more depth with notches in some of the back walls so that some areas are deep. Also did the hole and nut for mounting it laterIMG_5597.JPGIMG_5598.JPGIMG_5599.JPG

So here is a dry run with and without the notching. Still have some clean up but it's good to see the effect going the way I want. At some point down the road I will add tiny lil bits and pieces to busy it up a lil. Also test run with the adjustable mount.
IMG_5606.JPGIMG_5607.JPGIMG_5608.JPG

So after spending some time working on assembling the super structure I'm not finding a lot to do as far as modifying it it is a clean mold for sure and assembling hides most seams really well. Definitely not a hard build. I will be adding the garbage shoot and a couple of lil details. But I will say if bandi ever releases there large star destroyer I will probably get that one as my major project. But this kit is really cool and the best production kit on the market so far.

Welcome to the Big Z Builders Club!! Lol

Interesting approach to the trench treatment. I may have to take a look at that technique. It is a beautiful kit and superbly engineered.

I think I know what the problem is with this kit, Its too neat and clean. It does not have the "handbuilt" look of the filming miniatures with all of their subtle wonkiness.

Following your build closely......

I think the one thing I'm really battling with this kit is how narrow the trinch is. And how different each star destroyer is in each film. So I've been just doing my own thing and hope that I can give the illusion of it looking proper. If I had my way I would like one on the scale of the randy copper one. I don't have the skill set to scratch build one nor the time.

IMG_5614.JPGStarted adding some lil pieces to the super structure. Snowed in this weekend so can't go to hobby shop to get Sentra so what do I use... a choped up credit card. Like I said I use what I got lol

So I've got most of the assembly done and more bits and pieces added. Got the garbage bay sculpted and inserted. And raised the antenna array. Like I said not film accurate but I'm happy with how it's turning out.
IMG_5653.JPGIMG_5655.JPG

And well I'll as this it a cool kit it just isn't quite as epic as I want so I've made the dive and ordered the randy Cooper ISD.. that one will keep me busy and really test my skills.

I like the raised antenna array (mostly because I prefer the ANH 3-footer). I suspect ILM decided to leave it "down" on the 8-footer is because of the scene in TESB where the Falcon zooms over and just misses the bridge before parking on the conning tower. I may leave it down on mine -- assuming someone at Shapeways produces a crisply detailed mini-Falcon Falcon to stick on the side.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back