Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I decided to get a little crazy and do some additional pre-shading with Neutral grey.

I was surprised at how much paint Volume of the Tamiya jar paint I had been going through on this project and decided to try Tamiya AS-20 spray bomb to get some more coverage and see how it compares to my jar mixture thst I had airbrushed on the rear deck. Here they are for contrast.

The AS-20 (over the neutral grey pre-shade) is definitely greyed and more tan by comparison. It almost makes my airbrushed rear deck look strait white (it is not). After some thought, the right shade for my tastes might be half-way between the two. With weathering and additional airbrushed topcoat, I will get them more blended together.
dc6eda3d444502e852dff7fd4185b97c.jpg
3eaf31ceba64988394536f2ce0b9386e.jpg
ae918e63854d9f9b76c9cfb201dd3bef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry - which area got which paint treatment?

- - - Updated - - -

If someone can manage to modify the pg falcon to accurately represent the five footer when it was used for filming ESB, I will be thoroughly impressed

Most of that is pretty easy work. Or, in the case of the new maintenance pits, just fiddly. It's making matching panel lines that don't look out of place next to the moulded Bandai panel lines that would be the real trick!

Sorry - which area got which paint treatment?

Rear deck: Tamiya jar mix of about 4 parts White to 1 part deck tan airbrushed.

Rest of topside: Tamiya AS-20 spray can.

Note both had some application of Neutral grey base coat prior to the white.

35b649d47bc30b0b74af935144cbdc13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks! That's very interesting.

Personally I definitely prefer the lighter tone of the engine deck area. It's much closer to how the ship looked in that first movie and promo shots...

What method do you guys use for misting?

Ive tried 20% base color and clear coat mixed.

Thinned down base color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes please... and a little misting advice too please!! when to do it... what's the GOAL of it.... and do you use the base colour to do it?!?!

What method do you guys use for misting?

Ive tried 20% base color and clear coat mixed.

Thinned down base color

yes please... and a little misting advice too please!! when to do it... what's the GOAL of it.... and do you use the base colour to do it?!?!

Yes I mist mine with the base colour......holding the airbrush at a distance....just dusting the model lightly

This will bend the colours & back them down,...this is exactly what ILM did

My mate John Simmons over on FB is making the Steve Neison Slave 1 Studio Scale model,.....he is using Archive X paint (matched to the Floquil paint used by ILM in the day)....to get the shades right,....the green only becomes the Slave 1 green when misted by grime

J

Misting helps makes the paint look aged and faded. Especially on decals or areas painted a different color than the main color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks so much guys... i figured it was that... but knowing is the best! thanks for sharing ideas!!

Interesting paint technique, with great results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey all. Have just received my kit. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and excited to get started. Two questions:

Does anyone have the .STL that Lab uploaded a month ago to make the internal bracket? I love to build a bracket like his.

Lastly, what's the consensus on the techniques used in the Dengeki Hobby Web (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtMkM9fFLZY&t=3s) weathering videos from October?

Thanks all. I've gotten so many great ideas from reading this entire thread over two days! Great stuff.

Lastly, what's the consensus on the techniques used in the Dengeki Hobby Web (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtMkM9fFLZY&t=3s) weathering videos from October?

Personally, I think those videos show the minimum amount of effort you can put into weathering this model, next to doing nothing and leaving it with the bare plastic. Of course, the more effort you put into the paint job, the better it'll look.

Honestly, watching videos on youtube of people weathering model tanks and planes can help. Plus, the techniques in those kinds of videos (of people who make videos of model making because they love model making) are just as simple and certainly better than slopping a giant wash onto the bare plastic.

Hey Joe, thanks for the quick response. Definitely intend to paint base coat. Sorry I didn't mention that part. I will definitely weather over painted plastic. I was thinking I'd go with the Tamiya Insignia White.

Incidentally, on the videos he posted about weathering the DeAgostini model, Steve Dymszo recommends the Tamiya. He mentions that the AS-20 is pretty tough and therefore easy to fix any big weathering mistakes. I defer to the experts on that one. What do you think?

Made some progress on the upper hull. Still needs tweaking, but overall happy. It's important to stop periodically to look at the model under a variety of lighting. More than once I finished a section only to look at the model under normal room lighting to find certain streaks or shading were way too dark and had to be misted back.
IMG_9061.jpgIMG_9056.jpgIMG_9070.jpgIMG_9074.jpgIMG_9080 (1).jpgIMG_9086.jpgIMG_9088.jpgIMG_9089.jpg
Moving on to the front starboard quadrant and cockpit tube...

Made some progress on the upper hull. Still needs tweaking, but overall happy. It's important to stop periodically to look at the model under a variety of lighting. More than once I finished a section only to look at the model under normal room lighting to find certain streaks or shading were way too dark and had to be misted back.
View attachment 790718View attachment 790717View attachment 790719View attachment 790720View attachment 790721View attachment 790722View attachment 790723View attachment 790724
Moving on to the front starboard quadrant and cockpit tube...

Awesome work!!
How are you doing the streaking?

Awesome work!!
How are you doing the streaking?

Thanks man! I'm using a couple masks made from clear plastic scavenged from some packaging. One is a straight narrow slot to give straight streaks and the other is tapered to make the tapered streaks. I've been holding them various distances from the surface to soften or sharpen them. It isn't 100% precise. On some I've scraped the streaks down using a blade or lightly sanded them to soften them. I think the key is to have a variety of sizes and softness in layers. On some panels, the streaks are wide and very soft and on others they are narrow, sharp and darker. I gotta say, the grime mist on top really pulls things together.

Thanks man! I'm using a couple masks made from clear plastic scavenged from some packaging. One is a straight narrow slot to give straight streaks and the other is tapered to make the tapered streaks. I've been holding them various distances from the surface to soften or sharpen them. It isn't 100% precise. On some I've scraped the streaks down using a blade or lightly sanded them to soften them. I think the key is to have a variety of sizes and softness in layers. On some panels, the streaks are wide and very soft and on others they are narrow, sharp and darker. I gotta say, the grime mist on top really pulls things together.

Yeah, i misted the outer areas and crevices with grime as well.
Does indeed pull everything together.

Also been experimenting with different streaking techniques.

The rolled tape method also rolled tape to keep cardboard floating over the area, etc,

Still experimenting.

9c8e717c8530500c3308bcd4eb0ae7d7.jpg
e37d1ea1c514611dccfc4bd544c98554.jpg
e856b80c9d78c28fa35c134da79e0075.jpg

Those streaks look perfect. In my case, I'm constantly fighting myself not to do too much. I keep imagining myself as my teenage daughter putting on makeup for the first time. Less is more, honey! :lol

Those streaks look perfect. In my case, I'm constantly fighting myself not to do too much. I keep imagining myself as my teenage daughter putting on makeup for the first time. Less is more, honey! :lol

Same here.

My problem is that ill do an airbrush pass and think it isnt dark enough so then I hit it a few more times...and then when I remove the mask its too dark. Lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back