Thor: The Dark World (Post-release)

However...I don't get the concern over the Guardians credit scene...I thought it was awesome. I honestly think that people are going to have their minds blown by that film. It could easily be the most original thing scene on screen in some time. It was weird, the sounds were odd, and the character designs were completely foreign...LOVE that!

I can't speak for others, but my concerns were not with what was going on in that scene. But with how amateurish and low budget it looked. It's possible that it was filmed in a rush, or that the effects design for Guardians is unfinished, which is totally understandable. It just looked like they shot it on the sets of the 1st season Farscape in terms of production value, and it was a very sharp contrast to how well put together, visually, the actual movie looked.

But as far as the content of that scene, then I absolutely agree that I am getting more interested and excited for Guardians than I was expecting to be.

it was set in the Valueheim, the low budget realm.

TaTdV.gif

Like with many of the recent Marvel films, the Thor franchise was never my strong point of interest from the Marvel universe, being a simple afterthought of curiosity from cartoon and comic book images. But, having instantly warmed up to the first film, I was equipped with some basic expectations from this sequel which follows the events of The Avengers. Having seen it, I state with utter confidence that, because this film maintains the delicate balance between humor, action, suspense, and drama by masterfully meshing each of these elements in a fashion that compliments the quality of the story progression rather than detract from it, this sequel sets a new benchmark for all upcoming Marvel films as well as all comic adaptations in general while giving an unprecedented justification to experience any movie in Imax 3D.

My leg was helplessly yanked when Thor and Loki made their assault. I was convinced Loki really betrayed Thor before being convinced otherwise again. Afterward, it was great seeing them genuinely work together for the first time since the first film. I didn't find any action sequence to be over the top, but instead just blunt enough to be benign against my remembrance of the significance behind each of them and intense enough to keep my remembrance not to go too hard on my drink so I wouldn't have to get up for the bathroom. Even with the spice mixed in, I found the ending to be fully satisfying, leaving me with the curiosity of what happened to Odin and it's all heading. The only—and I mean only—thing that I found to be subpar was the in-credit scene of the two Asgardians handing over the second Infiniti gem, where it seemed like something from Lexx—low budgeted setting with a distinctly parodying atmosphere. But given that this scene merely means to identify the significance behind these items, it's totally negligible. Speaking of which, I was somewhat surprised that the Tesseract is an Infiniti gem. I had suspected this from the first moment I seen the after-credit scene of Fury explaining that it's a source of unlimited power (as if it weren't self-explanatory enough), but keeping the foreknowledge of the comic depiction of each of them being oval, I immediately dismissed this possibility. However, it all makes sense now. When I had also dismissed the blue glowing piece on Loki's scepter being the mind gem, it was only because it was explained to be powered by the Tesseract, which, if not an Infiniti gem, excludes that as being the mind gem since the Infiniti gems are self-sustaining, or if anything powered only by the power gem. Considering the central concept of merging realms in this film, I feel this new gem must be the reality gem. Needless to say, the Imax 3D experience was totally worth it despite the frequent moments where I had slight double-vision glares, but that's due to my 3D clip-on not being polarized strongly enough. I also had the standard Imax 3D pair with me and even with that there were occasional glares, albeit more faint and in some areas nonexistent. I believe this is ultimately due to the linear polarization design being harder to synchronize than the RealD circular polarization counterpart.

Anyhow, bottom line: this movie is worth it to say the very least! The resounding sentiment of this entire discussion is one of positive feedback, and I posit my honest reinforcement of it. And, for an icing on a cake that doesn't need it, this movie also has the best collection of previews that I have ever encountered throughout the entire movie-going experience of my life!

Saw it yesterday, thought it was pretty good. I'm done with Loki, though, three films of this guy is quite enough.
Much better than the first movie, but to me that is a low bar to raise. I'm quite surprised by the favorable views of the first one in this thread.

I can't speak for others, but my concerns were not with what was going on in that scene. But with how amateurish and low budget it looked. It's possible that it was filmed in a rush, or that the effects design for Guardians is unfinished, which is totally understandable. It just looked like they shot it on the sets of the 1st season Farscape in terms of production value, and it was a very sharp contrast to how well put together, visually, the actual movie looked.

But as far as the content of that scene, then I absolutely agree that I am getting more interested and excited for Guardians than I was expecting to be.

See, what made the Collector scene wierd for me wasn't the set design or anything like that. It was the utterly alien way that Benecio del Toro and Ophelia Lovibond (Collector and the assistant) moved.

Then I realized that doing so made it absolutely brilliant.

A wizard did it/it was set in the Valueheim, the low budget realm.

-Nick

Rofl_6738d5_1861765.jpg

conan-rofl.gif

Stephen-Colbert-High-Five-Gif-On-The-Colbert-Report.gif

Just got back from seeing it on IMAX 3D. Loved it! Had the cameos I was expecting (Stan Lee!) and not expecting (Chris Evans - ok post Avengers you can expect anything now, even on the TV show.). The credit scenes were great. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Saw it on Friday. Solid film. I am consistently impressed that Marvel Studios can bring Jack Kirby's (and Walt Simonson's, et al.) vision to the big screen while having it seem perfectly reasonable and making it highly entertaining. Had some good humor in it, too.

Still not a fan of the Earth ladies in this series, though. Natalie Portman is a talented actress, but her role is SUPER BORING in these movies, and Kat Dennings seems to be a one trick pony. ("I'm the sassy friend! Watch me say something funny to defuse the tension in this scene!")

That said, Rene Russo? AWESOME. Jaimie Alexander? UNDERUSED, BUT POSSIBLY ALSO AWESOME.

I know Thor's outfit changes, I haven't really paid 100% attention to Loki's... is he wearing the same stuff in all three movies? Lol I've paid attention to most of the characters in the MCU but have lacked the Loki costume interest

My husband and I went to see it today and we both enjoyed it, but I absolutely LOVED IT! I would never have considered myself a superhero fan, but the way these are written is so beyond my expectations for movies now-a-days - funny, action, caring about the characters, cool costumes, unexpected twists... I can excuse the ridiculously overpowered people and weapons because I love everything else so much. :D I might even want to buy this one... and I rarely buy movies.

And reading through this thread, I had to tack on a few things...

I have a few questions and am hoping that someone could enlighten me.

Thank you!! You had the same exact questions that I did - I was pretty confused.

I believe Odin mentioned in the movie that Loki inherited or (Frigga) taught Loki her powers. So, yes Loki and Frigga have similar illusion producing powers

And Thanks, JD, for answering. I think you left out the (Frigga) that I put in?

My leg was helplessly yanked when Thor and Loki made their assault. I was convinced Loki really betrayed Thor before being convinced otherwise again.

Me too! I love that they make Loki so unpredictable, but then predictable. I guess I was holding out hope for him too... and stupidly, I might still be based on the ending - that maybe he'll do a good job and surprise everyone? haha! Fat chance... I love Freeda, I could so relate to her.

Just got back from seeing it on IMAX 3D. Loved it! Had the cameos I was expecting (Stan Lee!) and not expecting (Chris Evans - ok post Avengers you can expect anything now, even on the TV show.). The credit scenes were great. Looking forward to seeing it again.

The cameos were excellent... my husband had to point out Stan to me. LOVED IT!

Still not a fan of the Earth ladies in this series, though. Natalie Portman is a talented actress, but her role is SUPER BORING in these movies, and Kat Dennings seems to be a one trick pony. ("I'm the sassy friend! Watch me say something funny to defuse the tension in this scene!")
That said, Rene Russo? AWESOME. Jaimie Alexander? UNDERUSED, BUT POSSIBLY ALSO AWESOME.

Totally agree - the writer is excellent except for in how to write for women. Jane slapping gods in the face? Yeah, sounds like what a woman scientist would do. And she didn't react when Thor's mother or brother died... I mean - comfort him already woman!!

I did really love it when she was being examined and named what they were doing in scientific terms; more of that would have been excellent.

Freeda was better, and I loved her scenes with Loki and when she was fighting.

I noticed that amazon.com doesn’t have a three disk set Blu-ray 3d, Blu-ray, DVD digital download up… rather disappointing that amazon.ca does…. but it’s bilingual.
Since the Marvel press release doesn’t show a 3 disk set for release, should we expect to see the .ca version to disappear or is it only the US getting the short end of the stick and not getting a complete set?

I bought the VUDU online +extras. I was VERY surprised how wonderful this HDX streaming looked and might look to buying my movies like this in the future. I sure liked that when I pressed PLAY it went right to the movie without all the ads and warning screens and menus. Very impressed by the quality on our 58" plasma TV. I wouldn't have known it was a streaming film.

I bought the VUDU online +extras. I was VERY surprised how wonderful this HDX streaming looked and might look to buying my movies like this in the future. I sure liked that when I pressed PLAY it went right to the movie without all the ads and warning screens and menus. Very impressed by the quality on our 58" plasma TV. I wouldn't have known it was a streaming film.

Did it come with the "All Hail The King" short? I really want to see that.

Finally got around to seeing All Hail the King, by far the best One Shot to date. Trev was just hilarious with some great lines, Justin Hammer was a nice little bonus at the end, and the Mandarin twist redemption adds some real meat to this piece. Overall just a fantastic balance of fluff and substance.

The Winter Soldier featurette was a little disappointing, most of the footage was already shown in their trailers and there wasn't very much BTS footage. Also considering Alan Taylor's original cut of the movie was supposedly pretty long, I'm surprised there wasn't more deleted scenes.

Just watched it on Blu-Ray and loved it. I'm so fearful of Marvel dropping the ball (Iron Man 2) at some point when being so prolific, but I was completely satisfied that the film actually added to character development and seeded the bigger story arc that's currently on a slow simmer.

I didn't appreciate the collector scene very much. (Is he a real character? I stopped reading the comics somewhere during the mid 80's when Guardians of the Galaxy was completely different).

Benicio del Toro's superfluous gesticulations were miscalculated as far as artistic interpretations go. That as well as his entire Jim Jarmusch getup was more Burtonesque than Marvel ... and not in a good way. This has me a little worried if it portends the flavor of the GotG film.

I love Benny but I really hopes he tries to understand the spirit of the source material and resists the temptation to treat it as his "acting choice" playground.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back