Millennium Falcon Bunk Bed Build - TFA Details 5/8 Scale

The interior looks so cool all lit up, my kids would always be telling me to get out so they could play, ha ha!
as far as the smoothness, that's the best part of building Star Wars stuff especially if you aren't trying to be super accurate, everything is damaged, weathered and cobbled together!

The interior looks so cool all lit up, my kids would always be telling me to get out so they could play, ha ha!
as far as the smoothness, that's the best part of building Star Wars stuff especially if you aren't trying to be super accurate, everything is damaged, weathered and cobbled together!

Thanks for the encouraging words! If anybody asks... I'll tell them that the kids flew scraped the surface of Jakku. :lol I am stoked to get the weathering done but we're just not quite there yet!

I feel your pain! :)

The build looks awesome! Keep going! Looking forward to seeing more!

PM sent

Thanks SK! For those wondering, I'm not going to install interior volvo panels, just use the outer skin (and repaint it black!). It's getting a bit cramped!

I have not accomplished much in the past week. I painted (some of) the top and installed the ring panel using screws. At first, I was afraid that they would pull through the 1/8” board but it held up OK. I also cut out and filled in the missing pieces in the Volvo panels. I foresee more filler and sanding in the near future.

20170121_170121_zpsbfrzsekl.jpg

20170121_170141_zps6jp1wcfy.jpg

I need access to the inside to finish installing the last 40 or so toggle switches. They are installed from the font, then glued from behind.

20170121_170201_zpsz8whhgwg.jpg

One of the things that sticks out to me is the “back” of the control panel. I’ll make sure to paint that black when I finish up the interior.

20170121_170243_zpsc1eawask.jpg

Hold me to the fire, RPFers! It’s been almost a year but I’ll keep building!

This build is so amazing! The best thing is your kids are bound to pick up some valuable life skills at the same time.

Thanks FF! They have picked up a few building tips but more importantly... patience!

Hot digity! That is looks amazing! I am looking forward to seeing paint details and weathering! :)

Thank you, SK! But now I'm nervous... what happens when I'm done??? Who am I kidding? My daughters' room is next :p

Snow speeder would be awsome!! The cockpit could be the bed. I've been thinking about this idea specifically for years so I'm ****** and ready[emoji38].

X-Wing? Y-Wing? Land Speeder? B-Wing? A-Wing? All of the Above? ;)

I wish! They want more of a tree house theme. Maybe I'll make it look like an Ewok village, ha!

Snow speeder would be awsome!! The cockpit could be the bed. I've been thinking about this idea specifically for years so I'm ****** and ready[emoji38].

Thanks, Alex! Go for it and consider me subscribed!!!

Awesome build... Very cool dad!

And a snowspeeder bed would be awesome - like this, but accurate:

Thank you for your kind words! That picture is throwing me for a loop though.... is there a bed under the speeder, too?

Thank you for your kind words! That picture is throwing me for a loop though.... is there a bed under the speeder, too?[/QUOTE]

Looks kind of like a suspension mat. Like so the bed stays above the ground. Or maybe there is an industrial spring under it so the bed rocks. That would be cool too.

Looks kind of like a suspension mat. Like so the bed stays above the ground. Or maybe there is an industrial spring under it so the bed rocks. That would be cool too.

Or maybe the kid that you don't like has to sleep on the bottom :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here was my idea for Snow Speeder bed years ago! :)

Any more beds like this and my house will OFFICIALLY become a spaceport :D

I’ve come to understand that a project like this doesn’t happen by dedicating days and days of work… it happens slowly over time. Sneak in 10 minutes here… 10 there… maybe an hour on a weekend and before you know it, you’re on the home stretch! I’ve become less frustrated at what I perceived as a lack of progress and more forgiving of myself.
Anyhooo… to the bed! I finished installing 45 “toggle switches” on the lower pilot panel and closed up the exterior. Afterward, I turned my attention to the canopy. It started with another template and some estimation as to how far out it extends. I decided on 8 inches for no particular reason.

20170128_152915_zpshnieb1zh.jpg

After cutting it out, I installed it with 1/2” screws and the help of my eldest son. As you can see, there is very little clearance between the canopy and the ceiling. I thought I would have to tip the bed in order to get it screwed in securely but we managed.

20170128_152416_zpspdghtgup.jpg

Looks pretty good from above. No one will see those gaps, right?

20170128_152524_zpsxyrlt1dc.jpg

My youngest daughter encouraged me to endure another round of filler so there you have it!

20170129_160857_zpsf4p7ohyo.jpg

I’ve got some ideas for the exterior to finish it up and enhance the weathering effect. Then, it’ll be a matter of finishing touches on the inside. I was hoping to find a local source of 3mm foam rolls. I want a smooth texture so no yoga mat stuff. Any ideas where I can find that? Thanks in advance and I’ll keep building!

Fantastic! Loving the canopy so far! Looks like more greeblies are needed to finish off that cockpit!

Are you investing in wood filler yet? ;)

OH WOW... I just noticed the little one sitting under the nose! Very cute!

Have you considered foam core for the armor plating?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back