Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I am one of the 37%. I am excited too se what happens next.:D

Anyone else excited?

I'm very excited! I think there are a ton of cool things they could do moving forward, and I'm really curious to see where it goes.

My hope is that they don't try to wrap up the story and completely defeat the First Order (or even imply as much) in this next film. There's so much potential for this story to continue through at least another three films. Rey's barely a Jedi (if you can even call her that) at this point, the Resistance is a shadow of itself, and we still haven't really had a film that truly moves the heroes of the new movie into leadership positions (although TLJ set some of that up). It would be weird if they were all just in charge all of a sudden or if the FO was completely defeated and the Republic restored. It just wouldn't feel right to me in terms of pacing.

So, my hope is the following.

The next film starts with a time jump. It's 1-3 years after the events of TLJ. The New Rebellion has been slowly building back up, gathering strength in secret, only engaging in occasional hit-and-fade missions and otherwise trying to gather more support in the form of personnel and materiel. It's been a slow process, but the think they're ready for a major assault.

NOT ON A SUPERWEAPON.

Maybe on something like a big political rally that the FO will hold, or a base of theirs or their capital-ship-manufacturing center or something.

In the meantime, the FO has basically set itself up as the New Empire, and has been subjugating more and more planetary systems, although it hasn't been able to fully consolidate power. The problem is that the remaining opposition is scattered, isolated, and leaderless. That's where the New Rebellion comes in. Their big attack is meant to be both a military victory and a symbolic show of force to galvanize opposition and convince people to unite under a single banner to oppose the First Order. The final victory would be more of a first step towards ultimately defeating the First Order, which would spool out over the next three films or so.

Within the FO, I can see a power struggle happening between Kylo Ren (humiliated at the Battle of Crait) and either Admiral Hux or other Knights of Ren who believe they should rule in his place. This might also open up an opportunity for him to be cast out of the First Order, and possibly to begin a redemption arc that would play out over the next three films, but would be set in motion by this one.

Basically, I don't think this needs to be treated like ROTJ or ROTS for that matter, both of which felt like they tried to wrap up way too much stuff in way too little a timeframe.

I am as excited as a man who is about to sit down and eat a plain mayonnaise sandwich that has been sitting on the plate for 3 hours. It will be stale. It will be “missing something”. Almost immediately, I’ll detect that something is “not quite right” and wonder why I can’t be given something more palatable. It’s most likely not going to taste very good and it might make me sick, but I’ll just munch away with determination. In the end, I’ll just want to get it over with. “It’s better than nothing,” I’ll say.

However—as long as they serve up a Kylo wearing a helmet upon his patricidal head...well, now that, ladies and gentlemen, is what they call a “game changer” and “expectation subverter” that will make that plain ol’ mayonnaise sandwhich taste sooooooo good.

Right?

:)

B3B7084F-4554-4383-919C-4C1F66279947.jpeg

Last edited:
Aside from casting, I basically impose a media blackout upon myself once shooting starts. So, other than new casting information, I'll probably start spending a lot less time here soon. I've been doing this since after TPM, and I've found that I end up enjoying movies overall a lot more if I don't go in with any idea about what's gonna happen, or with only the vaguest notion. This lets me judge the film on its face, rather than in comparison to my expectations based on snippets of info. (Speculation is something else -- I've learned not to put a lot of weight on my own speculations or hopes for a film.)

I'm very excited! I think there are a ton of cool things they could do moving forward, and I'm really curious to see where it goes.

My hope is that they don't try to wrap up the story and completely defeat the First Order (or even imply as much) in this next film. There's so much potential for this story to continue through at least another three films. Rey's barely a Jedi (if you can even call her that) at this point, the Resistance is a shadow of itself, and we still haven't really had a film that truly moves the heroes of the new movie into leadership positions (although TLJ set some of that up). It would be weird if they were all just in charge all of a sudden or if the FO was completely defeated and the Republic restored. It just wouldn't feel right to me in terms of pacing.

So, my hope is the following.

The next film starts with a time jump. It's 1-3 years after the events of TLJ. The New Rebellion has been slowly building back up, gathering strength in secret, only engaging in occasional hit-and-fade missions and otherwise trying to gather more support in the form of personnel and materiel. It's been a slow process, but the think they're ready for a major assault.

NOT ON A SUPERWEAPON.

Maybe on something like a big political rally that the FO will hold, or a base of theirs or their capital-ship-manufacturing center or something.

In the meantime, the FO has basically set itself up as the New Empire, and has been subjugating more and more planetary systems, although it hasn't been able to fully consolidate power. The problem is that the remaining opposition is scattered, isolated, and leaderless. That's where the New Rebellion comes in. Their big attack is meant to be both a military victory and a symbolic show of force to galvanize opposition and convince people to unite under a single banner to oppose the First Order. The final victory would be more of a first step towards ultimately defeating the First Order, which would spool out over the next three films or so.

Within the FO, I can see a power struggle happening between Kylo Ren (humiliated at the Battle of Crait) and either Admiral Hux or other Knights of Ren who believe they should rule in his place. This might also open up an opportunity for him to be cast out of the First Order, and possibly to begin a redemption arc that would play out over the next three films, but would be set in motion by this one.

Basically, I don't think this needs to be treated like ROTJ or ROTS for that matter, both of which felt like they tried to wrap up way too much stuff in way too little a timeframe.
I don't mind if Kylo goes lightside or darkside, just please don't make him die trying to help the resistance (like Vader in ROTJ). And instead of building another death star why not just, use all the thousands of stormtroopers they have and make a gigantic assault?

Just that. I would love to see more of the knights of Ren, they can't just disappear.

Why not? They barely appeared in the first place.

and, Solo while what you say sounds good, it's largely what they've told us was the premise of Rebels and Rogue 1, which ultimately culminates in E4. The difference being a power struggle on the FO side. Now, if that was a trilogy unto itself - ok.

However, it's not. It's the finale of an existing trilogy, and while it sound good, it doesn't seem to have a connection to either 7 or 8. It's just going to be tacked on and labeled IX.

They flat out said, and have yet to retract, that this is the end of the Skywalker story. As far as i'm concerned at this moment, it ended prior to E7, but that's another story. For it to be the end Kylo has to be dead, or at least defeated. Otherwise, the story is still alive.

One of the things that they also said prior to 7 was that we'd see the building of a villain. I haven't seen any progression in Kylo at all. He's the same spoiled, whiny brat we saw in 7. Hell, he was better in the first 5 minutes of 7 than the subsequent 4 hours 20 minutes or so. The only reason anyone in the FO would follow Kylo would be if the alternative was death. He's not been remotely established as a leader, just a whiny brat with powers that scares his own side as shown in both flicks so far.

Again, what's missing for me is the 'must see this' bit for IX. There isn't anything. There's not really anything to resolve in IX that anyone just needs to see. The best we have if there was no more saga is 'what happened to the knights of ren?' or how'd maz get the saber. That's largely it. And frankly, neither are must answers. Both could be cool answers, but they have little to nothing to do with what's been onscreen. The answers for both weren't known prior to the writing of IX either, meaning that they'd just be something to do, not anything that really needs addressed.

I"m completely open to the fact they could knock IX out of the park. My money says no, but it's not impossible. I think threepio would probably have a good line on the odds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? They barely appeared in the first place.

and, @Solo while what you say sounds good, it's largely what they've told us was the premise of Rebels and Rogue 1, which ultimately culminates in E4. The difference being a power struggle on the FO side. Now, if that was a trilogy unto itself - ok.

However, it's not. It's the finale of an existing trilogy, and while it sound good, it doesn't seem to have a connection to either 7 or 8. It's just going to be tacked on and labeled IX.

They flat out said, and have yet to retract, that this is the end of the Skywalker story. As far as i'm concerned at this moment, it ended prior to E7, but that's another story. For it to be the end Kylo has to be dead, or at least defeated. Otherwise, the story is still alive.

One of the things that they also said prior to 7 was that we'd see the building of a villain. I haven't seen any progression in Kylo at all. He's the same spoiled, whiny brat we saw in 7. Hell, he was better in the first 5 minutes of 7 than the subsequent 4 hours 20 minutes or so. The only reason anyone in the FO would follow Kylo would be if the alternative was death. He's not been remotely established as a leader, just a whiny brat with powers that scares his own side as shown in both flicks so far.

Again, what's missing for me is the 'must see this' bit for IX. There isn't anything. There's not really anything to resolve in IX that anyone just needs to see. The best we have if there was no more saga is 'what happened to the knights of ren?' or how'd maz get the saber. That's largely it. And frankly, neither are must answers. Both could be cool answers, but they have little to nothing to do with what's been onscreen. The answers for both weren't known prior to the writing of IX either, meaning that they'd just be something to do, not anything that really needs addressed.

I"m completely open to the fact they could knock IX out of the park. My money says no, but it's not impossible. I think threepio would probably have a good line on the odds.
The reason I am still holding on to the idea that they will appear in episodeIX is because JJ will be directing it. If he would have directed the entire sequel trilogy (don't get me wrong, I like TLJ a lot) I am sure there would have been a lot more knights of Ren. Knights of Ren were his creation so I am still confident they will be there in episode 9.

I have a feeling IX will wrap with lots of open questions left on the table, probably to be ignored indefinitely until a book or comic takes them on.
Chief among these are the Knights of Ren and Snoke's origin. I'm positive we'll get nothing about where Snoke came from, and sitting at about 70/30 that we don't get anything at all on the Knights.
I don't dislike The Last Jedi but it sure does feel like Johnson didn't want to pick up any of the pieces and run with them that were set up from 7 so it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the next movie will fall in line to wrap up any loose ends beyond the main thrust of the plot.

Edit: Let me be clear about one thing though. The OT left us wondering about a TON of things that it never touched on within its own purview and I don't think any less of it for that. Perhaps it was more artful about how details on the greater galaxy were salted into the storytelling, but also perhaps we live in a different time now in which we often expect all of the details we can consume to be readily available for that purpose and it just isn't always the case

Last edited:
I am one of the 37%. I am excited too se what happens next.:D

Anyone else excited?

If we pretend (I know that's hard, but let's do it for a second! I promise nobody will have a brain hemorrhage) those percentages are reminiscent of how the majority of people feel, I don't think 37% will be able to push the capital needed to get a return on investment. Given all the issues that happened with Solo and how they lost at least $80 million on that movie that doesn't bode well. Say what you will about why it failed, but I think the main reason was because people were upset by TLJ for one reason or another. I'm not going to blame it on "Star Wars fatigue" or "Holiday Weekends" (as those generally make more money? Wtf?) These lamestream media excuses are grasping at straws.

I have a feeling IX will wrap with lots of open questions left on the table, probably to be ignored indefinitely until a book or comic takes them on.
Chief among these are the Knights of Ren and Snoke's origin. I'm positive we'll get nothing about where Snoke came from, and sitting at about 70/30 that we don't get anything at all on the Knights.
I don't dislike The Last Jedi but it sure does feel like Johnson didn't want to pick up any of the pieces and run with them that were set up from 7 so it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the next movie will fall in line to wrap up any loose ends beyond the main thrust of the plot.

I think your prediction is exactly on point. And it's Disney - they will try to milk every movie, spin off, tv series, book, comic, etc. for what it's worth. I don't think we'll ever see answers to any of those things. So my business sense tells me if we do see any of those things, if it's not in the next movie it will end up in some other media they can make even more money on. I would be shocked and happy if we did, but I just have a gut feeling those elements are going to the way side. We'll each have to rely on head canon or fan fictions to fill the gaps I guess. Considering this is all speculative, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Twenty bucks it ends with every Force Ghost ever including the newly redeemed Kyle Wren, yes Kyle, in a Jedi Rockettes dance spectacular.

Force Ghost Rockettes.jpg

Shh...that's the top secret plot for IX!

Ben and Han were in on a trick. Fake hans death so he could turn super spy. The saber to gut was staged and he was swooped up once out of site in that pit. All to go under cover at FO HQ to find out what was going on and work from the inside!

Yeah..that's it!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back