How to create uniform radii for ANH lightsaber grips?

cayman shen

Master Member
I know a lot of people go straight angled, but I want curved angles on my ANH grips. Obviously I can radius each corner with a dremel or file, but repeated 14 times...I can't imagine them ending up uniform. Anyone got brilliant thoughts for a process, jig, something? Or a technique to ensure uniformity when radiusing by hand?

It depends on what tool you're using, but with abbelt grinder it's as easy as can be, you could clamp them all together and do it that way. Otherwise you can clamp them and file them all together. There's not really any great way to do it 100% the same. When I did mine I did them on a belt grinder in like a minute and they all came out great, plus part of the aesthetic I love is the roughness of the original props.

So if you're not going for a kind of rough but well done look the only real option is being meticulous

What about using a router bit in the shape you want.

The bearing would roll against the base and round over the fin.
IIRC they sell them for dremels.

I used a miter box. Roy has his specs at 30 degrees for lukes ANH. Luckily my miter box had a 30 degree cut.

attachment-30.jpg

Last edited:
I'd cut a little piece of card stock or plastic or something to use as a stencil to mark the radius on both sides of the grip. Use an exacto knife to score it, then a dremel to cut the material away down to the scoring. Doing it by hand, that's likely to be your best bet.

The angle may be 30º in Roy's blueprint yet it depends from where your baseline starts : Roy uses the clamp as his baseline not the T-track base ... so your picture is showing the wrong angle ... in your set up it should be 60º not 30º :wacko

http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/blueprint-Luke-ANH-2.jpg

Chaïm

Yes, mine is set back at the clamp. It's hard to see here because of the dark picture and the miter box wall covers the rest. Once my mark was there, I used the 30 degree lines.

Here's a better shot of the cut. The photos aren't the best quality but you can see the cut sits off the back of the track and not through it. The track is still flat
IMG_2923.jpgIMG_2922.jpg

Needless ranting by me, removed.

Problem solved, live and learn. Water under the bridge. Just glad Chaïm caught it before I glued them on.

Thanks Chaïm, you saved my butt, (again):thumbsup

Last edited:
A 90° angle can be divided into 30° and 60° - from the vertical OR from the horizontal. ;)

In this case it´s 30° from the vertical, that is 60° from the horizontal.

anh-luke003.png

A 90° angle can be divided into 30° and 60° - from the vertical OR from the horizontal. ;)

In this case it´s 30° from the vertical, that is 60° from the horizontal.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Lichtbote/Props/Lightsaber/ANH - Luke/anh-luke003.jpg

I get that, however the specs posted above show the 30 degree angle from the same spot I started from. It's certainly inaccurate as far as my cut goes. Perhaps the print should have shown 60 degrees instead.

Please don't take me the wrong way, I am great full for it being pointed out. I'm just aggravated that it's wrong and I have to spend 50 dollars again

- - - Updated - - -

I keep looking at this to see if I missed something. It's very clear in my opinion and my starting point is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice grips by the way. Are those Gino's or roys?

Not want to sound like a teacher, but it´s always good to countercheck with pics from the real stuff, it often helps to see things that might be not completely recognizeable in descriptions and drawings.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice grips by the way. Are those Gino's or roys?

Off course not Ginos.

Not want to sound like a teacher, but it´s always good to countercheck with pics from the real stuff, it often helps to see things that might be not completely recognizeable in descriptions and drawings.

- - - Updated - - -

Off course not Ginos.

you are correct, I did cross check and second guess it, however, I felt I needed to trust the dimensions.

There are so many sabers on the searches, I can't tell what is real or fan made. That is the obvious fan made ones being set a side

So as much as it sucks, I need to do round 2 on these. Is your grips cut to 60 degrees from the same starting point as the print?

Thanks for saving my butt before I installed them. It is what it is, time to move on. Luckily I was wrong on my price. I bought a few different parts at the same time. This was only a 25 dollar boo boo. Better than 50.

Just ordered another set from roy. If this is the worst thing I do this year, then I will be off to a good start. Lol :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back