Question about this ANH Vader lightsaber

gullwing

Hi,

I have some questions about this ANH Vader lightsaber in this very famous picture.

201611映画秘宝01.jpg201611映画秘宝01saberup.jpg

This is from japanese magazine released on oct 2016.
I didn't know this vader hold a different saber from on film.

1. What is this saber called in this forum?
2. Can this saber be seen on other pics or films?

Would you tell me what is the progress of research of this saber?

Hi,

I have some questions about this ANH Vader lightsaber in this very famous picture.

View attachment 679114View attachment 679115

This is from japanese magazine released on oct 2016.
I didn't know this vader hold a different saber from on film.

1. What is this saber called in this forum?
2. Can this saber be seen on other pics or films?

Would you tell me what is the progress of research of this saber?
Hmm never noticed this before... nice catch!

Alex

I've seen this photo before, in the real picture, I believe he's holding a version with a kobold flash at the bottom.

I think the artist drew over it with the hilt you see in this photo.

Interesting... Isn't that the shot used on the back of the Star Wars Storybook? I loved that when I was a kid, even though I was confused as to why some of the scenes didn't exist in the movie, or were backwards or changed slightly... My brother had a shirt with that picture on it as well. I always wondered why Vader's neck looked so whacked.

The saber reminds me of the concept Vader, though obviously without the dished emitter end. I confess I never noticed that it was different. It's been forever since I've seen that shot though. Looks a bit like like one of those vintage chrome flashlights as well (had one, totally pretended it was a lightsaber...)

790f4d27b44a205b74e83166ad3a81fb.jpg

Quite a nostalgic trip back you've created.

-Rog

Dann is correct. The original photo is from the publicity shoot that was done post-production usually referred to as the "Chronicles" session since those photos were featured very heavily in the Star Wars Chronicles book. The entire saber is airbrushed into the photo over the Kobold flash he's holding in the "raw" picture.

I don't know if anyone's ever built a replica of it but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's been done. It's odd that it doesn't attract more attention considering how famous that photo is. I think it hasn't attracted as much attention because it's more a piece of conceptual art and not a physical object. Plus, you can only see the ends so there isn't much detail to work with.

If anyone has done a replica I'd love to see it!

Cheers,

Dave

anyone have a picture of him unedited with the kobold flash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing!
That makes total sense.

Thanks Dann,
I checked my SW books and tried an image search in various ways after reading your post, but an objective photograph was not found.

and Thanks dcarty,
You taught me precious information again.
I searched images again with your attached images, I found a little-more high resolution photo from 501st forum.
2_bg (3).jpg

comparison with my kobold(remove top parts)
comparison.jpg
They are very very similar.
(It may seem with the condition of the source of light and noise, but I see little differences with thickness of edges etc.
cannot throw away the possibility that it is anything similar other.)

Thanks for all.

P_20161102_103614_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Last edited:
very cool!! thanks for sharing i was wondering if they did some kind of botch job attaching the kobold to a graflex or something. but it looks like its just a kobold. thank you
Yeah, looks like I remembered it wrong. I thought it was that weird Kobold/Graflex mashup saber, but it was just a Kobold.

Apologies. At least I was sorta right!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back