Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

BB8 - could mean 'basket ball', with the 8 as the look of the robot. As for the numbers on the cards - perhaps that relates to how many minutes into the film you see them? That would make sense in Rey going to check out the disturbance and 2 minutes later meeting Finn?

BB8 - could mean 'basket ball', with the 8 as the look of the robot. As for the numbers on the cards - perhaps that relates to how many minutes into the film you see them? That would make sense in Rey going to check out the disturbance and 2 minutes later meeting Finn?

Pretty sure the numbers are a JJ shout out to Lost fan or Chewie's lottery picks.

j/k. I wish

Last edited:
The trading cards like that that I had as a kid were numbered because when you put them in sequence, they sort of followed with the story of the film. I suppose thats what he meant.

Somethings fishy, The shots used on the cards are all taken from the trailer. Anyone could have made them.

what's fishy about it? At the start of the Entertainment Weekly article it specifically says: J.J. Abrams, the film's co-writer and director, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy have revealed the identities of some of the key players exclusively to EW, including the characters played by John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Oscar Isaac—as well as that shadowy figure in the snow with the crossguard lightsaber.

it also says in the article: (hint: the trading card numbers are significant)!

J.J. Abrams, the film’s co-writer and director, and Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, have decided to reveal the identities of some of their new characters exclusively to EW—and they’ve done it in a retro fashion that should bring a smile to anyone familiar with the phrase “Collect ‘Em, Trade ‘Em.” “I’m only sorry we couldn’t give everyone a stick of gum,” Abrams says.
(Asked if there was significance to the numbering, Abrams replied: “YES.”) Time to get on that, Bothan spies.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/

I say the numbers are a 1-100 scale to show how strong in the force the people are... just a guess though.

So BB-8 is slightly force sensitive?

Someone with too much time on their hands should try matching them up with the original cards of the same number.

So Blue series is 2 for 2. Anyone have the red series?

My brother had some of these but they are at my parents house in a beat up Star Wars lunch box last I saw them(in the 90's).

When we talk about BB-8 should we pretend we are in a chatroom and just pronounce it "Baby-eight"?

I would have just assumed they're numbered in order of appearance in the movie... didn't old cards get numbered so if you put them in order could make out the story. I think that's how I knew what "Temple of Doom" was about as a kid when I wasn't allowed to see it in the theater...

Akira-inspired art print by Laurie Greasley.

http://society6.com/lauriegreasley/vii-taz_print#1=45

16020644_2828194_lz.jpg

Those aren't story spoilers, just character names. I think the stuff that comes out of Lucasfilm pre-release has to be okay for this thread. They're not going to give away the story, and anyone who doesn't want even LFL's materials before they see the film won't be coming to this thread to begin with. I think we're good!

We were told of a Darth Tyrannus before E2 as well. I think Lord Tyrannus was used once in 2-3 combined....just saying, they may not carry the weight some think they will/do

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back