Ralph McQuarrie Millennium Falcon

I like this version of the Falcon and i agree this might be what it looked like coming out of the factory. I don't remember seeing any pics of this style of freighter other than the Falcon.

Your build gets better and better. We all make mistakes, I've been told, it is what we do afterwards that makes the craftsman. That being said, I should be one heck of a craftsman, but I am not. It looks like you recovered well!

That is just pure freaky...fantastic job, that was a great idea to make that.....executed beautifully so far....I love it...very unique....cant say enough good things about this project....will be watching this to get finished...

no words....
(outstanding work!)
Simply stunning.
this is just Brilliant!
Thanks Snow Builder, leatherman & BrundleFly

Wow, good catch! There are so many excellent little details to look at on this build that I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Now that I know it's there, I agree completely--it's a subtle thing that gives the ship that much more character.
Thanks Zombie, I suppose with a ship like this thats a good way of covering up my mistakes:)

Fantastic work. I wish this were offered as a kit.
Indeed, in the light of the new TV-series and looking at this wonderful build take shape, the Ralph McQuarrie Falcon should be offered as a kit someday. Great job all around!
Thanks cirecskul & Avanaut, the new TV series sounds great, I hope Ralph's Falcon makes an appearance, and if it does it'll probably show up all my mistakes!

I like this version of the Falcon and i agree this might be what it looked like coming out of the factory. I don't remember seeing any pics of this style of freighter other than the Falcon.
It's unique enough that it deserves it's own numerical designation, as if some earlier permutation of the YT-1300.
Thanks Wes & Yellowjacket, theres not a lot of reference pics of Ralph's design, Joe Johnston did a lot of drawings to flesh it out which eventually evolved into the film version, its a pity Ralph's concepts didn't make it into the Haynes Falcon manual (which shows drawings of all the YT variants).....YT-950 perhaps?

That is just pure freaky...fantastic job, that was a great idea to make that.....executed beautifully so far....I love it...very unique....cant say enough good things about this project....will be watching this to get finished...
Wow, what a compliment, hopefully I'll get it finished before the deadline (4 days left)

Your build gets better and better. We all make mistakes, I've been told, it is what we do afterwards that makes the craftsman. That being said, I should be one heck of a craftsman, but I am not. It looks like you recovered well!
Thanks salmon, I did make a mess of the ship the other day, I hope I've got myself out of that hole

I got advice from the Scale model addict site about the chipped paint effects so I toned it down a bit:

morepaint3.jpg

morepaint6.jpg

morepaint5.jpg

morepaint4.jpg

morepaint2.jpg

morepaint.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Last edited:
Damn thats good!
Even with the red-yellow pattern (for my tastes i prefer the silver/white version like the paintings) it looks amazigly real. Are you gonna light it?

-Angel

Yeah, I would have thought (hoped?) that you would've gone with a monochromatic paint scheme like the McQuarrie paintings. However, that being said, this is looking spectacular. Very nice!

Damn thats good!
Even with the red-yellow pattern (for my tastes i prefer the silver/white version like the paintings) it looks amazigly real. Are you gonna light it?

-Angel
Yeah, I would have thought (hoped?) that you would've gone with a monochromatic paint scheme like the McQuarrie paintings. However, that being said, this is looking spectacular. Very nice!

Ohh, my slip-up there, I guess I wasn't referring back too much once I had most of it built.......looking at it now I think I can make a compromise.....from this painting:
476855_385954341434267_789058981_o.jpg

I can tone down and remove the visible red areas from this angle......I might however have the darker shaded panels in shadow below as red....anyway thanks for the advice Angel (as always.....keep me on the right track) & D48thRonin

More updates later.....gotta get this done....doublequick

John

OI, thanks for the birthday message Angel

I love the leaking metal. sure the leflection from the ground suggest a slight more reflective material than matte finish (or different materials to the panels from matte to more glossy). generaly is a very slick ship. More compact and tight that the movie version. the flat panels can have battle damage and leaks from the oils so it get that "used universe" look.

-Angel

This is such a beautiful build - I almost prefer it to the real Falcon. - It would be great for us all to flesh out McQuarrie's concepts on this forum

Thanks guys for the comments,

christrom, I have another project in my head, I'd like to make a model of Ralph's design for R2:
R2D2.jpg

I bought this little kit for its guns:
110067-11611.jpg

& made up a new turret (dish is done also)
turretampdish.jpg

I changed the panel to grey as advised by my good friend Angel:
colourchangenoarrow.jpg

Thanks fer looking
John

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back