Solo: A Star Wars Story

Yeah, I get he looks and sounds like Ford... but can he really act and carry a movie? I just don't get the hate without having the data or formed opinion. We all love our Star Wars and we all want the best performance... but hating Solo or Episode IX before you've seen it is silly.

Please take into consideration that this movie is coming straight off the back of a Star Wars movie that the vast majority of people here consider to be an absolute mess. (I was recently accused of derailing TLJ thread by posting a humourous trailer parody, after not posting in it months btw when at least 50 plus pages that came before it absolutely smashed it).

That movie absolutely tore apart a most cherished character for no other reason than to promote much,to say the least, weaker ones. We are now faced with a new movie revolving around another equally cherished character so you can expect a certain amount of trepidation from those same people about how that will play out. Also, given the amount of major issues that occurred during the production and the leaking from an insider no less that the lead actor couldnt act and was having trouble with getting a grip on the character to expect anything but hesitation from some is how you say, silly.

Its great for those who have watched some trailers to be keen and get excited by advance ticket sales but dont expect that from all. We have been burnt by that before by Disney. I am more than willing to be pleasently surprised but not expecting to be.

Oh for God's sake, this is a silly parody, in which he's doing a caricature of the voice.

No... they hired him cuz of his Harrison impresson... so he's definitely doing his best Han Solo possible.

Your ParodyIQ is very, very low.

But your excusingbadactingIQ is THROUGH THE ROOF!!! (y)cheers

Last edited:
Heres a very brief clip, I think there are a few here that would obey Woody's command in a a parsec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoDyPd-KHs

]

That footage is DARK.

I noticed this on the trailer before Infinity War... it's like Rogue One dark again. Add 3d glasses in the mix and jeeez.

I actually walked out of Star Trek Beyond because every scene cut I had to search through the darkness to find the darkly dressed characters. Too much.

Come on! let's brighten this stuff up!

Yeah ,I mentioned the extreme darkness many posts back. In the cinema the aliens at the edges of some of the trailer scenes simply disappeared, its one of the worst cases I have ever seen. In 3D I would have said it was nudging unwatchable.

Premiere is tomorrow, 10th May, in Los Angeles so I wonder if we will get the kind of spoilers we got for TLJ. They will certainly get feedback if its too dark then!!!!!!

Last edited:
No... they hired him cuz of his Harrison impresson... so he's definitely doing his best Han Solo possible.

Your ParodyIQ is very, very low.

But your excusingbadactingIQ is THROUGH THE ROOF!!! (y)cheers

Of course they hired him for his Harrison impression. But it's obvious he's doing a caricature of the voice, just like all the other over-the-top voice impressions in the parody.

I'm surprised it's not obvious to you, quite frankly. You say you're an acclaimed filmmaker.

The Wook

Please take into consideration that this movie is coming straight off the back of a Star Wars movie that the vast majority of people here consider to be an absolute mess. (I was recently accused of derailing TLJ thread by posting a humourous trailer parody, after not posting in it months btw when at least 50 plus pages that came before it absolutely smashed it).

That movie absolutely tore apart a most cherished character for no other reason than to promote much,to say the least, weaker ones. We are now faced with a new movie revolving around another equally cherished character so you can expect a certain amount of trepidation from those same people about how that will play out. Also, given the amount of major issues that occurred during the production and the leaking from an insider no less that the lead actor couldnt act and was having trouble with getting a grip on the character to expect anything but hesitation from some is how you say, silly.

Its great for those who have watched some trailers to be keen and get excited by advance ticket sales but dont expect that from all. We have been burnt by that before by Disney. I am more than willing to be pleasently surprised but not expecting to be.

I hated TLJ but loved R1... I feel the one-off movies have a better shot at capturing SW glory. I could be wrong...

Of course they hired him for his Harrison impression. But it's obvious he's doing a caricature of the voice, just like all the other over-the-top voice impressions in the parody.

I'm surprised it's not obvious to you, quite frankly. You say you're an acclaimed filmmaker.

The Wook

If by "acclaimed" you mean by myself, then yes. Yes I am.

And that, sir, is what a guy who doesn't have reference for EXACTLY how Harrison Ford would read a Han Solo line, would think he should sound like.

I agree with Lord and Miller... it would be an SNL sketch with Anthony in the role. Impersonations are not acting and that's why you see that guy in Auralnauts videos and not real roles.

Impersonations are not acting and that's why you see that guy in Auralnauts videos and not real roles.

I've three words for you, followed by a clever gif:

Age of Adeline.

giphy.gif

The Wook

I've three words for you, followed by a clever gif:

Age of Adeline.

View attachment 815993

The Wook

I didn't think I had to mention that ONE theatrical role where the actor he's impersonating is also in (and would be there for reference) - You know, that one role where he has less screen time than any of the internet shorts he was in.

Did he even get enough minutes in that to get his SAG card? :D

He was hired cuz he could do an impersonation in a couple of small scenes. And he did them well. That does not make for a solid actor.

Alden is NO SOLID ACTOR...

Anthony Ingruber has a Harrison face, (square jaw, high cheek bones, same nose, hairline, voice, height, that would have totally SOLD this film.

Alden has a short stature, ,and worse of all NONE of the characteristics of Ford, a high pitched voice,round,looking head/face.

That being said I'm sold on Donald Glover as Lando...He seems awesome.

Woody Harrilson... GREAT!

Chewie is steeling the show! Loving his involvement!

The Falcon.... IS STAR WARS!!!!!!! Looks superb in the clips!

Emilia Clarke........ :love I would crab-walk over 30 miles of desert filled with glass shards, with 20 pounds of weights attached to my junk, just to be able to drink her bath water.... What a doll!!!

And Alden Ehrenreich was cast as a young Han Solo because Steven Spielberg took care of one of his own.

The Wook

I'm not sticking up for Alden (though he's proven himself a supporting actor *cough* Anthony hasn't *cough*) because I haven't seen the movie yet. I think he was miscast, but I never WANT movies to fail (they pay the rent) so I'm hoping for a River Phoenix like surprise out of him.

I really think the whole thing should just be LANDO with no SOLO at all. A Lando movie with Donald Glover could have been great!!! And with "Get Out" and "Black Panther" I bet Disney is kicking themselves... I mean it will make money anyway, but money and rave reviews is better.

Glover will be the only one anyone talks about after release.

Any, all that said, Anthony Ingruber would not have saved the potential Solo character disaster.

The movie is likely going to be bland no matter who they cast.

It doesn't look horrible but it certainly looks far from good.

Ingruber may look like Ford, but that's about all. His vocal impression of him was decent but nothing to write home about. He sounded dubbed in his 2 seconds on screen in Age of Adeline. Eirenriech does not look like Ford either and doesn't seem to have the charisma to carry the lead in a film. Apparently you don't need any acting skills to get hired in Hollywood, you just have to look a certain way or know someone at the top, or both.

No matter who you cast the movie was doomed from the start. It's the Star Wars movie no one asked for. Lucasfilm just banked on the fact that Han is such a loved character that they assumed the fans would just gobble it up without question because Han Solo sells tickets.

I hate feeding the troll, but I'll say it again: ALL Star Wars movies are extremely successful. Even when they're duds on the SWIQ-O-Meter.

Disney's banking on there being a lot of low-SWIQ millennials (and low-SWIQ old dudes like you) filling up the seats, to make up for the loss of high-SWIQ OT fans.

Financially, at least for now, it's a sound bet. Artistically, it's criminal.

The Wook

Where can this SWIQ-O-Meter be found?

I would love to know where I fall.

Guessing that I will be an old dude on the low end, since I am unwilling to crap on a movie that I have yet to see (without giving it a chance).

Sure, when I watched Age of Adeline, I thought he might make a passable Han Solo; but I am not totally going to bail on the franchise due to a casting decision.

BTW - I did not care for TLJ. (Not sure if that impacts my SWIQ score).

Where can this SWIQ-O-Meter be found?

I would love to know where I fall.

Guessing that I will be an old dude on the low end, since I am unwilling to crap on a movie that I have yet to see (without giving it a chance).

Sure, when I watched Age of Adeline, I thought he might make a passable Han Solo; but I am not totally going to bail on the franchise due to a casting decision.

BTW - I did not care for TLJ. (Not sure if that impacts my SWIQ score).
It's an arbitrary made up scale of how 1 guy judges your opinion of a movie based on his opinion of a movie and how closely they resemble each other.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back