HalloweenCostumes.com “Back to the Future Hoverboard”

The main problem I found with the HC boards are, it's so dang heavy, you can't really do something like this with it:View attachment 671494
Not only would you have to use heavier gauge (and thus more visible) line or risk snapping them, you risk hurting peoples ankles or shins when it bumps into them. (I've accidentally done that plenty of times over the cons I've had this at, but luckily, mine's mostly foamboard and doesn't hurt anybody.)

Your Friend in Time,
Marty McFly Dallas Cosplay

Yeah, they are pretty hefty. I don't really do any tricks with mine though. I just carry it and pose for pictures.

However, this year I do need a new trick. Maybe I can make a super-light board that still looks pretty accurate. Use something like expanded PVC for the body.

I saw a post here somewhere with using fishing wire to make the board appear floating, looked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a post here somewhere with using fishing wire to make the board appear floating, looked great

I don't know if I want to fiddle with string in the middle of a convention. Would probably make it light enough to put my foot in the strap and act like it's floating by lifting my foot off the floor.

Thank you! It turns so many heads, it's the best thing I've done for my costume since making it in the first place. :D
I attach it via some jewelry clasps attached to the line and sewn into the arm of the jacket.

20151017_162342.jpgad_03.jpgMcFly_Akon_01.jpg
Marty1.jpg20160507_161452-1.jpg20151017_154918.jpg
20150502_134248(0)-1-2.jpg20150328_155036(0)-1.jpg20141114_125527-1.jpg

Your Friend in Time,
Home of the #KiaTimeMachine

Thank you! It turns so many heads, it's the best thing I've done for my costume since making it in the first place. :D
I attach it via some jewelry clasps attached to the line and sewn into the arm of the jacket.

View attachment 672317View attachment 672318View attachment 672319
View attachment 672320View attachment 672321View attachment 672322
View attachment 672323View attachment 672324View attachment 672325

Your Friend in Time,
Home of the #KiaTimeMachine

Yeah it's brilliant. Might do the same when I go to work for Halloween dressed as 2015 Marty and have it "Hovering" near my Desk.

What kinda wire you use?

Having a few problems with the Velcro coming off. Used doubles sided tape and then some pritt-stick glue but still coming off.

Should I just use super glue?

And also does anyone know the weight of the board? Need to get the right fishing wire to hold it.

Thanks guys

Does anybody have any lenticular material leftover, enough for one board?
I've found some suppliers in US, but I live in Japan and the shipping is way expensive.
I'd really appreciate it.

So I used superglue and the Velcro is staying solidly attached.

Ordered some fishing wire but it never arrived [emoji26]

I assume it just loops around the board near the magnets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk</QUOTE>

Assuming you don't want to put eyehooks into the edge of the board, If you are willing to take the board apart once more, you can do this:
Make two lengths of line, about 2.5 to 3 times the length of the board;
Knot them together a couple of times in the center, then separate the ends, making basically a big X in front of you.
Tie a 1/2" loop at the end of each leg of the X - make sure it stays a loop and doesn't slide undone when you pull on it.
Position the board top side down (so you're looking at the underside of the top half)
Take the four loops and position the two front-most left-and-right and two rear-most left-and-right screwposts within the loops. Tape them down if you have to.
Make sure your green footplate is in place, and fit the bottom half onto the top.
Once all the screws are in, turn the board over and lift by the knot in the center of the lines. It should now form two inverted V's.
You can use it like that, but it will twist on you. You can also re-knot it shorter if you want, or cut just below the knot, and retie them separately to hang from multiple hooks.

Hope this Helps!
Your Friend In Time,

Assuming you don't want to put eyehooks into the edge of the board, If you are willing to take the board apart once more, you can do this:
Make two lengths of line, about 2.5 to 3 times the length of the board;
Knot them together a couple of times in the center, then separate the ends, making basically a big X in front of you.
Tie a 1/2" loop at the end of each leg of the X - make sure it stays a loop and doesn't slide undone when you pull on it.
Position the board top side down (so you're looking at the underside of the top half)
Take the four loops and position the two front-most left-and-right and two rear-most left-and-right screwposts within the loops. Tape them down if you have to.
Make sure your green footplate is in place, and fit the bottom half onto the top.
Once all the screws are in, turn the board over and lift by the knot in the center of the lines. It should now form two inverted V's.
You can use it like that, but it will twist on you. You can also re-knot it shorter if you want, or cut just below the knot, and retie them separately to hang from multiple hooks.

Hope this Helps!
Your Friend In Time,

Thanks! Seems complicated but I may give it a go (if this wire ever turns up!)

Thanks! Ironically, I found some at a craft store yesterday afternoon. BUT....

For those of you who have attached green velcro, what did you use to attach it? Every glue I have tried so far either wouldn't stick to the velcro, or wouldn't stick to the glossy sticker. I don't want to use anything thick - I want the strip to lay as flat as possible to the board. You guys think spray adhesive would work?

Thanks! Ironically, I found some at a craft store yesterday afternoon. BUT....

For those of you who have attached green velcro, what did you use to attach it? Every glue I have tried so far either wouldn't stick to the velcro, or wouldn't stick to the glossy sticker. I don't want to use anything thick - I want the strip to lay as flat as possible to the board. You guys think spray adhesive would work?

25mm 3M double side tape is what you need for a clean result

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back