Things that movies make seem common that really aren't

I stand by my earlier statement... I definitely got THE girl, not A girl. ;)
I won't argue because your avatar intimidates me and you wield the power of ban.

But most here know there's that ONE - even when you read that you thought of her... or him. That one that your mind wonders to when you least expect it, or when you hear a song -- that one who will be the first one you call if things don't work out with your wife or current girlfriend. :love

But most here know there's that ONE - even when you read that you thought of her... or him. That one that your mind wonders to when you least expect it, or when you hear a song -- that one who will be the first one you call if things don't work out with your wife or current girlfriend. :love

Matt Munson?

Matt Munson?

If that's as a high as your limbo stick goes then more power to ya.

Sorry i derailed this thread - I'm officially putting it back on track right.......................................................................................................NOW!

People fight the main character one by one, instead of al of them fighting him/her at once.

This has actually happened to me. I'm not sure if the others were afraid of hitting their friends, or if they were really just hoping that the other guy would take care of it. Either way in retrospect, I found it amusing.

Generic computer GUIs. No Windows 7, no iOS, no Linux. And everything on screen has an accompanying sound effect. Oh, and all GUIs are dark blue or black with blue grid-like interfaces and windows that spin open containing detailed, encyclopedic data cross-referenced with world wide databases. "Need something pulled up? Oh, my computer constantly has everything you need always open."

No server issues, no internet connectivity problems, and no annoying forms to fill in. No forgotten passwords or secret questions or capcha to fill in.

And someone mentioned this earlier, but no mice! "Need something that would take an hour to do in photoshop? Sure, I can do it in 6 key strokes."

Oh, and internet cafes are still a huge part of every city. Internet. Cafes.

Generic computer GUIs. No Windows 7, no iOS, no Linux. And everything on screen has an accompanying sound effect. Oh, and all GUIs are dark blue or black with blue grid-like interfaces and windows that spin open containing detailed, encyclopedic data cross-referenced with world wide databases. "Need something pulled up? Oh, my computer constantly has everything you need always open."

No server issues, no internet connectivity problems, and no annoying forms to fill in. No forgotten passwords or secret questions or capcha to fill in.

And someone mentioned this earlier, but no mice! "Need something that would take an hour to do in photoshop? Sure, I can do it in 6 key strokes."

Oh, and internet cafes are still a huge part of every city. Internet. Cafes.

Quoted for truth...and building on a theme...

Everyone has wi-fi and phone access everywhere. 30 feet underground. 30,000 feet above ground.

And don't get me started on the 'Silk Stockings' style CSI-neon-dance-club-lighting-tech-rave sets they use for forensic labs nowadays.

Everyone has wi-fi and phone access everywhere. 30 feet underground. 30,000 feet above ground.

Not always. For Inside, the social film, the character Christina used a wireless Internet router that was purposefully installed by her kidnapper for her to use, so to get her Facebook and Twitter friends to help her. At times, the kidnapper would purposefully turn off the router for hours before switching it back on again. The first time she connects, there are no other noticeable routers in the area of her laptop except for the one that he set up (even naming it "Christina", after her).

Another example is a recent example of an episode from Eureka. Fargo and Shane accidentally end up in space in an out of date space module. All communications in Eureka are knocked out (typical), so in order for Carter and Co. to speak with them, they use an old-school telephone and landline to contact NASA to speak with them with NASA redirecting the call via satellite to Fargo's phone. Unfortunately, they ended up only having a few seconds of talk time.

So, the only way cell phone wifi access thing works is if its purposefully designed. Basically, it really depends on who's writing the story. And there's a lot more examples of the opposite than there is of your pointing out that people apparently have gripes about.

People never sit in a restaurant and just eat a meal...they either never get to it and leave without paying the check, or they eat one bite and and throw some random amount on the table without seeing a server or waiter of any kind. (No wonder they never have to visit the bathroom!)

College is one giant party orgy. In hollywood colleges, whenever you are not attending amazingly wild parties held in beautiful mansions or pulling the ultimate prank with your bros, you are always having sex. Hell, its pretty much impossible to go a single night without finding some amazingly attractive girl who wants to jump your bones. And when you are sick of it, the hottest one will suddenly fall into your lap for you to date and most likely marry.

Loser in high school? Doesn't matter. Karma is paying you back by instantly transforming you into the coolest and most popular person ever and putting you waist deep in more supermodels then you know what to do with.

Last edited:
Any vehicle that has never been seen refueling. Every car or SUV that seem to be topped off with fuel or awesome mileage for those awesome chase scenes... they're never close to empty.
Movie: We're on the run! Let's steal a getaway car! Good thing this random car had a full tank of gas to get us hours and hours away to our country hideaway!

Reality: You break into the one car whose owner was putting off gassing up for one more day, and run out of gas before you leave the city.

Which reminds me - every time someone finds a vehicle and flips the sun visor down to find the keys. I have NEVER seen anyone put their keys in the sun visor. What a stupid place to put them.

28.8 Kay Bee Pee Ess modem - you're in the butter zone now, baby.

Any vehicle that has never been seen refueling. Every car or SUV that seem to be topped off with fuel or awesome mileage for those awesome chase scenes... they're never close to empty.

I guess you've never seen Vanishing Point (1971). In the film, Kowalski's Challenger had to be fueled up twice in his trip.

citys full of women with perfect bodies and perfect make up.

hate when i see for excample times square in NY and all you see are supermodel women walking around

1. Is it common for all cars or vehicles to be the same speed in a car chase?

2. Action movies where the hero jumps on dirtbike (Skyfall, the Bourne movies) and can ride in such a technical manner. It takes years of constant practice to ride like that.

OK my big one - Taking a Life/Losing someone. Most characters are freaking sociopaths with no conscience. Also in real life when a cop just discharges his weapon much less shoots someone, they are on immediate desk duty, TV they get a coffee at a dive bar or greasy hot dog stand and back to work.

After a MAJOR shoot out in the streets or a car chase weaving in and out of traffic causing accident after accident the bad guys / heroes always seem to conveniently slip away... I can't run a red light without a police car pulling up behind me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back