Screen Accuracy and Star Wars

Part of it is the collectors mentality. The thrill of the hunt. Finding just the right fabric, or just the right screw with the correct knurling. Part of it is a personal challenge to refine my building skills. And part of it is bring able to own a piece from one my favorite movies.

There's also different types of collectors. For every person that wants screen accuracy and for their props to be made from the same source material as the originals, there's another person who wants that Lucasfilm stamp on the bottom and cares less about accuracy as they do having an "official" prop replica.

There's actually a third because some people want a replica of the actual in universe item. A lot of the stuff, SW helmets in particular, were (I assume) hurriedly put together because they have gaps and things not lined up correctly. I want, for example, a Stormtrooper helmet that looks like it came off a real world Stormtrooper. Another example is some prop replica collectors who will replicate everything in a reference picture even though you don't know if it's intended wear, or shelf wear from being 39 years old.
I want accuracy, but I'm not going to replica the builder's (or time's) messed up details.

A short bit on how I got sucked into this. I started researching Falcon kits because I knew there were several and I wanted the best one. That led me to find out that the x-wing model kit that MPC/Ertl put out was used as a real prop which I built one as my first project. So every google search I did to find reference images and info theRPF kept coming up as a top result. So I signed up and spent quite a while just on the general modeling boards. I never thought I'd get into other props like lightsabers or blasters, but I came across an auction on ebay that was selling a real graflex done up for Luke ANH. I bought it and when it arrived I could not take my eyes off it. I still pick it up and play with it almost daily. After digging around for a while I found out that some of the parts that were used on my lightsaber were not accurate (T-track and bubble strip), so I tracked down better parts and upgraded it. I've been hooked ever since, I've got several sabers complete and several in the works, I've got several blasters in the works, I've got a stack of model kits with after market upgrade kits to make them more accurate.

I guess I think of it like we are tinkers like in many hobbies. Car guys are going for speed and handling, we are going for accuracy and presence.

I still haven't built that Falcon.

There's also different types of collectors. For every person that wants screen accuracy and for their props to be made from the same source material as the originals, there's another person who wants that Lucasfilm stamp on the bottom and cares less about accuracy as they do having an "official" prop replica.

Agree. But I would split the first into two different camps. Idealized weapons that are what the prop is supposed to represent, but still pretty accurate. And prop replicas that are made from as many of the original source materials as possible.

For me it's about... being able to get the parts to actually build a real prop.
I started with an FX kit and a hasbro blaster.
But soon find my way to upgrading every single part. From the armor kit to the paint to the screws to found parts and even to 20+ years old foam for the inside of my helmet.
It's all about replicating using the same found parts.
I'm in my 4th kit now. And building a replica Sandtrooper pack. The only goal is to find every single original vintage found part. It will take me years. But I am willing to do it!
That would be the real thing. Including the sonix radio

Saludos.

There's actually a third because some people want a replica of the actual in universe item. A lot of the stuff, SW helmets in particular, were (I assume) hurriedly put together because they have gaps and things not lined up correctly. I want, for example, a Stormtrooper helmet that looks like it came off a real world Stormtrooper. Another example is some prop replica collectors who will replicate everything in a reference picture even though you don't know if it's intended wear, or shelf wear from being 39 years old.
I want accuracy, but I'm not going to replica the builder's (or time's) messed up details.

oh I know from "idealize" what with my TFA/V2/Battlefront Luke saber...

Agree. But I would split the first into two different camps. Idealized weapons that are what the prop is supposed to represent, but still pretty accurate. And prop replicas that are made from as many of the original source materials as possible.

For years people have worn helmets that are white and dark vests that had the same pockets on left and right sides. Then info had surfaced that the helmets were actually light grey and ten years later that the vests had different pockets on the left and right.

And just last month pictures of an actual screen used vest surfaced, indicating all those going for the "easy" trooper should make new hugely complicated vests:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=58833&p=4155801&viewfull=1#post4155801

I strive for my props and costumes to be as screen accurate as possible. The only major exception to that rule is where durability is concerned. I will sacrifice some accuracy if the structural integrity or usability of an item will be enhanced by foregoing 100% authenticity. I spend a lot of time and money on my things so that they can be worn/ used and I make them to last.

I believe that as amazing as these look on display, costumes and props are made to be worn/ handled.

I strive for my props and costumes to be as screen accurate as possible. The only major exception to that rule is where durability is concerned. I will sacrifice some accuracy if the structural integrity or usability of an item will be enhanced by foregoing 100% authenticity. I spend a lot of time and money on my things so that they can be worn/ used and I make them to last.

I believe that as amazing as these look on display, costumes and props are made to be worn/ handled.

Agreed. That is the only compromise I do too. An example I give to some of my friends, is about how the Hengstler counters were originally attached to the Stormtrooper blasters: by simply gluing them to the body of the blaster and to the scope. And thus many fell off, you can even see the remaining residue:

Hengstler fell off Luke.jpg

Precisely. The screen used pieces only needed to last during filming and they had multiples, whereas collectors/ makers like all of us can only afford to own one, or a small amount of props/ costumes by comparison. Not to mention the fact that we may spend months or years building and sourcing materials and parts to replicate said props down to the most finicky detail. Let's be honest here, we are all in some capacity extremely high functioning hoarders with obsessive compulsive tendencies. Our resources aren't always as good as those of a production company who can either afford to buy components en masse, or even source more than a handful of rare parts / materials, many of which are no longer made.

I really like the inputs I'm seeing from people. What "screen accuracy" means to them.
For me, I'm not too crazy over screen accuracy. I am, but for example, I won't tear a prop apart to change one small detail that no one else will notice. I don't mean that to sound condescending or demeaning to those who do that. I actually admire those who do that a lot, I consider their skill set far greater than mine.
Stuff like stormtrooper armor to me has to be screen accurate, but not in the sense of a snap on piece under the armor that no one will even know is there.
Other things for me, like the R1 rebel soldier costume I'm building is not screen accurate by any means, because I'm making an original costume. I enjoy making up my own characters, with my own made up props and pieces.
Those who do recreate everything down to the microscopic details amaze me and I love their work.
This is such an amazing community to me because very talented people can recreate every detail of one object that was probably originally made using whatever was available at the time and somehow there are people who know or can figure out what those parts were.
I'm on and off with my dedication on this forum, but every time I come back I'm never displeased with what I see. The people here are great.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's a whole spectrum of "idealized" as well. I tend to lean towards LOOKING accurate, but I prefer idealized materials: if they used plastic but it was meant to look like metal, I prefer metal.

The question of "To weather or not to weather" is one I go back and forth on. I weathered my DL-44, but not my Obi-wan ANH saber hilt. Sometimes I just want idealized materials, sometimes I want idealized materials AND idealized look. To each his own.

(as to the original question, I think was answered in the first post: Star Wars is one of the best example of props cobbled together from real world parts. There's fun in the hunt to find those parts that doesn't exist when simply copying a sculpture).

Regarding weathering on Stormie helmets for example I was never a fan of the chipped buckets. I appreciate the hard work in making them look like that, but I'd never want one in my collection.

the point of idealized props or production replicas is a nice thing. I am clearly a member of the idealized group because already as a child I was absolutely fascinated of the stormtrooper armor and there was a certain image of a stormtooper helmet and what it would look like, also from the inside, in my head. I have to say, I never saw me as an hardcore star wars fan. I love science fiction movies and my favorite is 2001, because it is so scientific. but star wars can take you really some kind of out of reality and thats nice from time to time. and the design of the armor and the spaceships are really beautiful. so when I was getting access to a foundry one day, I had the chance to realize an idea. when I saw episode 3 I really liked the design of the clone trooper and had to realize all were cgi, but I wanted to have a "real" one at home. a piece of hardware and when I saw the gree helmet I thought: I could cast one in aluminum. just out of the universe and it should look funktional also in the inside, but not the disappointing way the interior looked in the compendium. so uncomfortable! I always thought of a motorcycle helmet like interior with some screens and stuff inside. for me it is great to have something out of the movie, connected to a certain scene. and such a collectible is always a catalyst for conversation.

IMG_0456%20Kopie_zps8bdcal8f.jpg

IMG_0422%20Kopie_zpsaxmyn7yi.jpg

Regarding weathering on Stormie helmets for example I was never a fan of the chipped buckets. I appreciate the hard work in making them look like that, but I'd never want one in my collection.

I'd agree with this. There's currently a ESB helmet that's available and the work that's gone it to it is amazing. But it looks like a prop that's been kicked around on-set and sat on a shelf after production as opposed to something that was used *during* production.

I love the work and appreciate the talent that's gone into painting it and am sorely tempted, but it's just not the look I'm going for...

I'm not so much into exactly replicating a prop or costume, but rather in representing how it looks on-screen. Details and materials can really matter, but for example, I could not care less if a Graflex saber replica has the correct stamping on the base, or whatever. A real lightsaber wouldn't not have "Graflex" stamped on it, if you know what I mean. But I get the folks that are into that. And I HAVE bought some found items just becuase...

I am very manic about details and variations, it's not a star wars or something else, I also do bonsai art and mineral collection and the detail is also important.
I also like idealized prop, and how to explain how it could work or be if it exists in real, i don't see a prop, but a real thing,and screen used props are often disapointing on this point, I refer to imagine how they are in a fictive universe, and then, find a compromise so they could get close to real in our world, but when the props are using real stuff, especially in star wars movies, of course all the details have to be accurate.
I already made searches about the 3 main lightsabers and the droid caller, collectin g all informatiosn about variations on the stuff they used.
For example, each variation on a part of a mpp based lightsaber makes more complicated to get the right version to make the saber, and there are 10 different parts subject to variations on it...

I think the most screen accurate prop I own is my sandtrooper helmet. And by that I just mean the basic details, like the traps and tears not having the black strips on them, and the correct mic tips. But I'm not so concerned as in I must acquire the actual mic tips, an accurate reproduction of them will work for me.
Or the latex/rubber hand guards, to me, the rubber guards are accurate enough for ANH, but I get white latex ones, where some people want non white ones so they can paint them white and achieve the chipped and cracking paint like the actual costume, but to me, preferring the already white latex, in universe, they wouldn't be painted white.
Stuff like that. I appreciate people who do go all out though, because that's where I learn a whole lot about the objects on screen that I love so much.

I'd agree with this. There's currently a ESB helmet that's available and the work that's gone it to it is amazing. But it looks like a prop that's been kicked around on-set and sat on a shelf after production as opposed to something that was used *during* production.

I love the work and appreciate the talent that's gone into painting it and am sorely tempted, but it's just not the look I'm going for...

I kinda like the beat up look, as long as it isn't too excessive. I had RS build me a replica of the ESB "patch" helmet a few years ago, minus the patch of course. I already had a pristine ANH stunt helmet from them and the ESB wasn't different enough. I wanted something more than the same helmet with a different colored frown and some decals. I really loved how it turned out and its one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

What gets me is the films themselves are not even 100% consistent from scene to scene and shot the shot if you really look that close. Even in the context of one film there are things that are different. If you get it to the point where it ruins the movie for you, I'm sorry but it's just gotten too OCD and went too far. The filmmakers don't don't obsess over every minute micro little detail like many people here do, they have other projects to work on, as Star Wars is not their whole life, even though they may be fans.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back