Fallout 76

I just watched it. It really was a well made documentary. It's nice to see a game studio with so many "old timers". Too many around this part of town drop all their employees on a per-project basis. Or in the case of EA: just drain them of all humanity then kill off the whole company after the game releases.

I am mostly disappointed. It looks like other than the vault, and perhaps some holotapes, the game will have very little story behind it.

The territories, nukes, and mobile bases make me think this game is based around fighting over territory. I assume you are clearing out the existing locals, securing some facility with some resource, and then setting up base to defend against other players or NPC wave attacks. Neither sounds like the open world exploration that I want.

Other than the major scenery, it looks like there is little in the way of new props in the game compared to Fallout 4. So if your as sick of settlement building as I am, then that whole portion won't be fun.

The emoticons look like perhaps are trying to make online games more friendly, by not allowing voice communication? Perhaps voice is there but only opt-in? Time will tell on that one.

The collectors edition has already shown the game will probably have microtransactions. It includes "Tricentennial edition bonus in-game items"
Can we look forward to lots of low quality community made props for your settlement, perhaps over a thousand cool hats! Perhaps Halo themed power armor! It makes me sick is that is the case.

The game is server based. I don't care how many fully dedicated servers they throw at it. Eventually servers die, and online players move on to other games. You don't be able to play this game 20 years later like Fallout 1.

I used to play Multiplayer games constantly. However each and every one of them became less about the fun, and more about grinding away for some mediocre prize. I don't have that sort of time anymore. I need to be able to drop in, play for however long I got, and get back out. Baby sitting some base/settlement probably won't allow for that.

In the end I really didn't even expect a new Fallout game so soon. I can wait longer. I just hope they don't lose their way in the meantime. Fallout 5 or bust!

From what Todd said, there is a story and quests, NPCs are unconfirmed but not looking good though. I preordered to get into the beta, I'll try it and stick to the woods, see how players behave. If it's a mess of cursing a**holes 12 years old degenerates dancing and shooting everyone, I'm out. But maybe, just maybe if it's like early days GTA online, it could be enjoyable, just to wait until the next proper BGS, Starfield.
Todd said also that you'll never see server stuff, meaning I guess you don't get to chose a server, but if any of you guys do end up playing, it might be worth a try to form a clan, or an alliance, or whatever. I don't have friends interested in playing online much, much less fallout fans, so the only "strangers" I would trust is you guys.
So an alliance where we watch each others back, while we can all play as we like, but unite if needed. If other players start to learn not to mess with a RPF guy doing his thing for fear of having the full clan ramming a nuke up his behind, we may just be able to game solo most of the time in peace...

Alson for the collectors we are, that looks pretty good. Although no electronics, that's weird and a bit disappointing from the Wand Company
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ksig/#tabs

Last edited:
I used to like MMOs back in the day, and by that I mean back in the Meridian 59, UO, original Anarchy Online days. Then everyone started playing and the whole thing went to hell. So no, I don't want to play online anything these days. I don't want to play multiplayer anything. I want a solo adventure and screw other people. Now if it is possible to play through 100% of the content with nobody else, fine. I'll play it. If it's a super-short solo story and 99% of the game is multiplayer, screw it. That's what went wrong with Halo 4. It's why lots of people hate it.

Well, I too can say I'm a bit disappointed. Disappointed, but not surprised.

To be fair, it does not look like some massive multi player. I swear it looks like you do co-op. Notice how you never saw more than four or five players. I've heard that this was likely the case prior to last night, because many in the modding community insist this game engine can't handle massive multi player. Now, take into account that the map is "four times bigger that Fallout 4", as Todd Howard said. So, there is a slight chance that it's not as 'multiplayer' as some people are thinking, but rather group co-op.

If that's the case, we could have a little fun playing together. Hell, even if it is mass multi I do like the idea of us RPFer's making our own clan or something.

But yeah, not terribly surprised. Not exactly thrilled, either.

Soooo... Am I the only one that sees fallout 76 as a Minecraft reskin?...

Well I can't say anything about Minecraft as I have never played it, but as I am (was) totally in Medieval Engineers mode since a few months and I was actually hoping for more of those sandbox elements, like F76 being some sort of "Postapocalyptical Engineers". Would have loved to rebuild a whole world with other players, maybe even with digging and mining an stuff.

I love that you can build everywhere now even in vanilla mode (modded this in my F4 and it got so much more immersive, finding some cool wrecked place and putting up some boards and walls and turrets and really making it your "naturally chosen" base camp), but I really dislike two things about the building in F76:
First, it seems everything you made appears and disappears depending on your online status if I understood this correctly. So if you go offline, will the other palyers see whole settlements go? Or does it maybe mean you tie yourself (or at least your character) to a particular server/world and only if you choose to leave the server this will heappen? Either way, will totally kill immersion if stuff in the size of whole settlements suddenyl disappear every now and then .
Second, this silly settlement computer thing. Nice and comforting to know you can pack everything you build and put it up anywhere else. But what the heck, this is Fallout, this shouldn't be possible! Everything you build should be there forever or at least as long as you decide to remove every single thing you placed, one piece after the other...

Well then I thought about the "no human NPC" thing. Maybe they tricked us and there WILL be lots of NPC, but all of them not human but ghouls? Would fit storywise (you are either a surviver from a Vault (human controlled) or lived through 25 years of nuclear hell and became a ghoul. This way they could surprise us with cities inhabited only by ghouls like Underworld in F3, complete with all the merchants and useful NPCs we know from earlier games... I certainly hope this will be in the game...

So, it appears I was incorrect. This is a bit more than co-op. Todd Howard said dozens can be on a single map. I see this going as many say they see it going as well, with people at the mercy of trolls and a-holes who have no real interest other than wrecking your stuff.

I think overall, it was pretty stupid for Bethesda to name this game Fallout 76. They should have named it Fallout Online, like they did with the Elder Scrolls series. Had they done that, right out of the gate people would have known what to expect. Hope would not have been raised, and expectations would be more realistic. I think largely that most would've just moved along, and those that are into the idea could have embraced it as much as they like. Pretty sad that one of their most infamous leakers had to clarify this for folks, and then they didn't even offer more clarification until E3.

I think the way they presented this, almost like it was presenting another actual Fallout game worth mass celebration and congratulations, is a clear sign that they just don't get it anymore. I think that we really are seeing the end of the series as we know it. The direction they seem to be determined to take this series in is one that will eventually kill it. It's very likely, in my opinion, that we'll never see another worthy Fallout game with this game studio. I'd wager at this point that if we ever get another good Fallout game, it'll be with another studio.

I told my wife I'm betting their coming Starfield game will be amazing. She said "Why would you think that???". I answered, "Because then they can completely ruin the sequel."

I mean no NPC's makes sense since your one of the first out, So I kinda dig the idea that your one of the first to start building these shanty towns, ect. I'm giving it a chance to actually provide a deep plot and quests, and if anything I generally love just wandering around Bethesda's worlds with good tunes.

That being said I bought it on amazon for $46 so if it sucks I can sell it for 35-40 and not take a huge hit.

I also SMASHED the pre-order button on that pip-boy! My son is stoked to put it together with me, and really $150 for a static piece of that level of detail, officially licenced isnt bad at all!

I preordered the Power Armor edition as well on top of the pip-boy, can't pass on that sweet helmet ! Might need to 3D print the rest of the armor now... Plus Todd Howard sold me on the map that "glows in the ******** dark" as he delicately put it himself !

I mean no NPC's makes sense since your one of the first out, So I kinda dig the idea that your one of the first to start building these shanty towns, ect. I'm giving it a chance to actually provide a deep plot and quests, and if anything I generally love just wandering around Bethesda's worlds with good tunes.

That being said I bought it on amazon for $46 so if it sucks I can sell it for 35-40 and not take a huge hit.

I also SMASHED the pre-order button on that pip-boy! My son is stoked to put it together with me, and really $150 for a static piece of that level of detail, officially licenced isnt bad at all!
It's made by The Wand Company and their phaser and communicator are outstanding, so this should be too.

I'm torn on this game. Part of me wants to pre-order so I can get in on the beta and part of me wants to wait until some reviews start coming in. My main concern is that some group is going to build a wall around some goal in the game and they will either kill you when you run that mission or they are going to take everything but your underwear and the basics you need to finish the mission. And then kill you on the way out. And I'm also concerned in 5-10 years they might say "OK, we don't feel like maintaining the servers anymore. Hope you had fun, but GTFO."

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back