The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Can you guys help me out?

I bought a Star Lord belt buckle and D-rings ages ago. Anyway I've finally got some time on my hands and I want to start making a belt.

I remember seeing that someone had posted a pattern of the belt for all to use but I've been searching for ages now and can't find it.

Can anyone help?

Can you guys help me out?

I bought a Star Lord belt buckle and D-rings ages ago. Anyway I've finally got some time on my hands and I want to start making a belt.

I remember seeing that someone had posted a pattern of the belt for all to use but I've been searching for ages now and can't find it.

Can anyone help?

I don't think anyone has posted a belt pattern. If they did, not this topic.

If you do end up finding a free-to-use pattern would appreciate a link.

I don't think anyone has posted a belt pattern. If they did, not this topic.

If you do end up finding a free-to-use pattern would appreciate a link.

I'll definitely post it here if I find it. I know I've seen one somewhere on the forum.

What we need is a single definitive reference thread or database for each character. A single post moderated by someone which lists all the parts for a specific build and all the reference material and relevant links directly beneath it that users can submit to.

For example:

Peter Quill / Star Lord Costume & Props Database:

Mask

All reference photos
Links to peoples mask builds
Links to members research
X-ref links to sections of the definitive Star Lord thread that discuss the mask specifically
Star Lord Mask project run links
etc
etc

Short Jacket

All reference photos and links to peoples Short Jacket builds and research here.
As above

Trench-coat

All reference photos and links to peoples trench coat builds and research here.

As above

Belt

All reference photos and links to peoples belt builds and research here.
As above

etc

Everyone here at the RPF does such amazing jobs with their research and their own builds and problem solving.

Sometimes all that hard work is lost in a 73+ page thread and it can become a nightmare to search through.

Hey, just my 2 cents worth, don't shoot me down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star-Lord's Pants, part 1

At the time when the new Guardians movie is in production and all the costumes are going to be new, I am finally finishing up my own Star-Lord build and thought I’d kick in my Space Pants (™) which are soon to be obsolesced.

Four days of drafting, fitting and tearing apart repeatedly makes feel less bad about how I spent filthy lucre for many parts of this costume (though as a maker I am vagualy ashamed). Save yourselves the sanity and get the biker pants, really.

25681956384_eb88d3bb0c.jpg
26194367682_f1848d0e23.jpg

Okay, so though the exhibition pants are apparently faded black, most pics read them as almost brown, with that purple look black sometimes fade to. Visually, I felt it’d be more interesting than straight up black and decided to go non-accurate for colours.

I started with a heavy black fabric from the Edwin Jeans outlet, fine wale corduroy, a rough linen/cotton canvas and a twill that was used smooth side out. The black was bleached slightly to brown and over dyed with a trace of purple, the salmon pink canvas dyed with brown, black and a touch of red, and the purple corduroy and twill with browns.

iphone 4396.JPG

Patterning - didn't really take loads of pics, since towards the end I got tunnel vision and really, the pattern was tweaked so many times I would never be able to replicate it exactly. It's the sort of pattern where you really need to keep testing over and over, and you absolutely must have a live body to test it on. I'm not a pro, I'm bloody-minded amateur with sewing skills. I'd never be able to do this again with someone's measurements.

If anyone at all good at sewing can use what few and poor process pics I have, then the blood and frustration won't have been wasted, I suppose. GOOD LUCK.

But if you do, start with a basic pants block and sketch on the lines of seams and pockets. Keep in mind later additions, like the blaster pads. I didn't and the zipper on the back thigh could be in a better position as a result.

Right. Speculative parts - waistband. Didn't do one, just went with a high waist in the back (bit like actual moto pants) since I despise pants riding low when I crouch. One bellows pleat on the knee directly, one knife pleat just below. (Some pics make it look like three, others don't. Three seemed a lot of fabric on the knee, all things considered.) I also guessed at the entire calf section that we never see below the boots.

I'm not going to add in all the ref pics, since there are tons out there already that have been minutely scrutinized.

25681774754_0fe67bbca0_n.jpg
26013741840_7af4cc9d7e_n.jpg
26194173512_be51dd339f_n.jpg

The inner thigh piece is slightly curved, since that how it looked in ref pics and I figured it would facilitate bendy knee things. Rather like moto pants.
26286593455_a71a5a149e_n.jpg
26194154372_1875431a71_n.jpg
26220332521_4599bf09d7_n.jpg

Spot the mistake - I forgot to add that odd little flap with the snap on the inner thigh and had to rip up a section. Yippee ki yay.

iphone 4396.JPG

Star-Lord's pants, part 2

Snap flap added in, speculative pocket and the rough linen for the crotch section tested for colour and vague position. I eye-balled most it this, trying for proportions that would approximate the thing on my non-Pratt size person.

My pockets are functional, with a piece at the bottom for bellows. Disregard the two piece you see in the second pic, I realized one was good enough and kept it from being too bulky. The welt section opening the pocket had to be done first before attached the pocket bottom to the leg. The side of the pockets are both covered by other seams done later.
]

Eye-balling the correct seam placement for the crotch section again, and then on to the back. The mysterious butt seam. Aaaaand at this point, the madness descended and I stopped taking so many progress pics, sorry. The back of the leg, with the knee back, grey elastic and speculative lower calf section.

]]

My slightly botched zipper placement on the back corduroy pieces. The holster pads had totally slipped my mind. Why? They were in every krutacking ref pic. The zips should have been more towards the curved section.

BTW, if anyone can tell what these zips are for, I'd appreciate it. I did see a guy on a crotch rocket with biker pants and he had the same style zips. Are they for getting at... pockets? What?

The upper waistband is pretty much speculative as well. I had no ref pics that showed the area much above where you have that little tab with snaps. The lower crotch linen in the back can be seen here as well - the existence of this was suggested from a few ref pics, one a rear view and the other a front showing that there was a piece that matched the front crotch piece seam-wise. This piece is another thing in addition to the mysterious butt seam.

]
That's the end of making-of pics, but it was pretty much done. Front leg pieces add to back, legs trimmed to length and ankle zips installed. Not shown is the addition of the front zip flap with snaps, and the tedious finishing of the inner waistband with a piece of grosgrain ribbon covering rough edges turned inside. Oh, and the blaster pads, of course.

Star-Lord pants, part 3

So, these are the pants, in natural light and florescent. Quite a difference. Note the functional pockets and weep. You can never have too many pockets, and I sort of wish these pants had rear pockets as well, except I suppose that's not stylish enough for Marvel.

The blaster pads are leather, thick leather and super thin and stretchy lamb skin contact cemented over all.

Rocket controls and blaster holsters by Nova Props, thanks guys!

Excuse the lint, when you come off a huge project, there's stuff everywhere.

And the lighting does make a big difference. So, I'm happy with the colour choices I made, and the pants are comfortable as all get out, since the cotton breathes and stretches enough. With proper spats and belt, they look perfect. (Spats are getting a reworking, since the fastening studs are driving me mad.)

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/G3SJWp"]
[/URL]
That's all. Thanks, RPF, your various threads have been incredibly useful for getting the project going.

Star-Lord pants, part 3

So, these are the pants, in natural light and florescent. Quite a difference. Note the functional pockets and weep. You can never have too many pockets, and I sort of wish these pants had rear pockets as well, except I suppose that's not stylish enough for Marvel.

The blaster pads are leather, thick leather and super thin and stretchy lamb skin contact cemented over all.

Rocket controls and blaster holsters by Nova Props, thanks guys!

[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1473/26013932830_582605a228.jpg[/URL][url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1461/25681956914_004718492e.jpg[/URL]
[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1567/26220545211_8064fbb468.jpg[/URL][url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1442/26286801715_fef7fb89e6.jpg[/URL]

Excuse the lint, when you come off a huge project, there's stuff everywhere.
[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1618/26194367682_f1848d0e23.jpg[/URL][url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1627/26013936170_4ed7aabae3.jpg[/URL][url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1554/26013936070_a036aa2a8b_n.jpg[/URL]

And the lighting does make a big difference. So, I'm happy with the colour choices I made, and the pants are comfortable as all get out, since the cotton breathes and stretches enough. With proper spats and belt, they look perfect. (Spats are getting a reworking, since the fastening studs are driving me mad.)

[url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1568/25681956384_eb88d3bb0c_z.jpg[/URL][URL="https://flic.kr/p/G3SJWp"][url]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1651/26286803755_08f4b69c0d_z.jpg[/URL]
[/URL]
That's all. Thanks, RPF, your various threads have been incredibly useful for getting the project going.
You sir are crazy this is amazing!!!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Fantastic job on the pants! Fwiw, everything 2" below the top of the boots on the real pants is just a big old tube of elastic.

so after consulting here and then learning that the prize of the nerf starlord blasters will only go up.
I went on a hunt at FACTS ( belgian version of comic con) and i didn't find any starlord guns there, I even asked some of the shop owners.
so i orderd myself a couple of blasters from ebay on was 12$ and the other one was 22$ all without shipping. total was something around 50$ for the 2 with shipping.

so next piece i am hunting for would be a pair of pants, on one side ,inspired by jessamygriffin, I would love to get an accurate pants but i don't want to go crazy!!!
what pants would you guys suggest?

Fantastic job on the pants! Fwiw, everything 2" below the top of the boots on the real pants is just a big old tube of elastic.

I seem to recall reading that about the elastic legs way back when I was first tossing about the idea of drafting my own, and I thought, 'Not for me, no.' Elastic calves would be easy enough and of course the purpose I assume was to keep things slim under the boot-spats, you'd hate a wodge of fabric there... but then, if you just make slim-leg pants and ensure easy fit by installing a zip, it'd look better. Less costume-y and more like some fashion pants thing. Before I installed the holster pads, I did wear them around for a day, stretching and setting the fit and they looked d-d cool. Amazing with a pair of doc Martens or ankle boots, a+, will wear again when I'm out doing something.

Anyway, glad you like the pants! They were a pain to build. And like the things that annoy and frustrate me the most, I love them best after...

so next piece i am hunting for would be a pair of pants, on one side ,inspired by @jessamygriffin, I would love to get an accurate pants but i don't want to go crazy!!!
what pants would you guys suggest?

There were a few suggestions up-thread for particular brands, though none spring to mind atm. Search the thread for Star-lord pants to get a few hits back to start you off?

One thing I recall people did warn about was to be careful about whether the pants were sized for Asians or just small in general - I had a message throw-down with one eBay seller about their ridiculous sizing claims and how they were not representing their garments well. In essence told them no sane North American would buy their stuff unless they fixed it and if someone did buy their stuff, it would be sure to get negative reviews for misrepresentation.

(You want the story? Well too bad, here it is: It was something like, they said the waistband was such and such, like 33-35 cm, and I was like, what? That wouldn't fit my thigh, do you perchance mean a side to side measurement, what is the actual waist circumference? [Not that you would do that, only extreme haute high end jeans makers might do that and you are an Ebay seller]. They replied, saying, But look at our sizing chart! And I was like, I DID and it doesn't make sense, and they said, But the sizing chart says the pants are such and such size and I was like, You are not answering the question, which is what is the actual size of the waistband, you know the waist CIRCUMFERENCE like NORMAL WORLDWIDE CLOTHIERS USE AS A STANDARD cuz no one has a waist size of 35 cm, DO YOU MEAN SIDE TO SIDE. [centimetres! kid you not.] and they were all, but teh size chart... At which point in a blaze of fury I screen capped their chart, threw it in Photoshop, added pics of how normal pants are measured and what a real clothing chart looked like in several countries around the world, corrected their steaming pile of jobbies chart with what it ought to say and where they were failing, decorated it with exclamation points and question marks in red... and sent it back. Then I blocked them, life is too short for that level of stupid. Oh, and I also used Comic Sans font.)

Anyway. Be careful on Ebay biker pants in general, check reviews of nicer brands of moto pants for comments on sizing, and so on.

I think my experience on Ebay with that seller is what prompted me to make my own pants, and I feel that I benefitted from the experience thereby. I'd rather go mad from aspiration, rather than go mad from a Lost in Translation issue.

I seem to recall reading that about the elastic legs way back when I was first tossing about the idea of drafting my own, and I thought, 'Not for me, no.' Elastic calves would be easy enough and of course the purpose I assume was to keep things slim under the boot-spats,

That and to stirrup them under the foot to keep them from riding up.

Great job on the biggest pain in the ass to make pants of all time!

Hey guys I need some help with my orb

I got 3 magnets in each half to keep it closed only problem is it doesn't stay closed I want to be able to pick it up without worrying that it wil open but the magnets are not strong enough. I can add more bit then I would need to add allot more any other ideas?

This is the position of the magnets
9d7e18625d3aa8c0b803c63eee01850a.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back