Reveal "The Force Awakens" models already in stores!

Ok, so he reiterates that they had the CAD drawings from ILM

I can see how all the kits came from the CAD models,....they are, although simplified, quite accurate,....apart from the Level 2 Falcon,.....the most expensive kit

It looks as was pointed out earlier that the sidewalls have different details,.....but they are still waaaaay to tall.....theyve added the extra two landing gear bays (ESB) & the new dish,.....still has the smooth curved engine pice painted blue

....but overall its still the Code 3 model from 2003,....based on the MPC

They seem to make a big thing about rotating the quad turret on the wee Falcon,.....I hope this isn't a feature in the Film,....cause it will mess up the logic of the entrance to the gun turrets by the central ladder......

The wee Falcon has a nice clear engine grill,....details not on the Level 2 model

If Revell had made a large Falcon using the information they had for the Level 1 kit, I think they would have been on to a winner

It could have still had a simple snap assembly but at least its shape & dimensions would be correct

....& if you are waiting for the repackaged FineMolds kit,.....it has its own problems

J

Last edited:
Ok, so he reiterates that they had the CAD drawings from ILM

They seem to make a big thing about rotating the quad turret on the wee Falcon,.....I hope this isn't a feature in the Film,....cause it will mess up the logic of the entrance to the gun turrets by the central ladder.....

J
Yeah , this was the original design for the falcon turrets to swivel but it was never shown in the final film, shouldn't make a difference to its operation you can step off the ladder and the whole turret room swivels, the minor change in gun movement is covered by the chair movement, when it reaches it's stops on each side the idea is that the turret would then rotate to give a greater arc of fire .....I hope this is a spoiler :) , anyway the falcon is the ultimate hot rod, she's going to have some upgrades in 30 years

oh and what price did he mention $299.......were in reach of some serious studio scale garage kits at this price bracket

Aye, the Hasbro toy plus resin & 3D printed upgrades will still come in less than that... & it is a third larger (but of course also a lot more effort - but it is fun modeling effort!)
Anyway, back on topic... wait, what was the OT?
;^P
Regards, Robert

And another link from a "newsletter" today:
http://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/starwars-bap.html

As a counter-point, to simply disregard the Revell issues as 'crap' is to denigrate the company's reputation & understate current reality. Looking at these kits from a "fact-based" perspective, it is obvious that these kits are targeted to an audience other than "serious modelers". Consider this: Fine Molds is a niche, 'enthusiast' company started from within the Hasegawa organization that is aiming at a generally more discerning Japanese modeling market. In fact, the Japanese seem to still generally value modeling as a serious hobby activity. Revell, on the other hand, is part of a large corporate organization that pursues profit via production & distribution opportunities. In short, it is run by 'bean-counters' (accountants) or a least is highly influenced by accounting concerns. So, one seems to be driven by a 'modelers mindset' first & the other is driven primarily by profit. Hence, Revell can not really be compared to companies like Bandai or Fine Molds where 'modelers' hold the 'wheel' - on top of them being Japanese. Would we compare Ferrari to Ford?

So, yes, Revell is emphasizing different aspects of their product development that result in simpler, cheaper (in quality though not necessarily in price!) toy-like products which will obviously disappoint a more demanding 'modeler'. Does this mean they are 'bad'? Perhaps just less suitable for our purposes. So be it. The Revell organization still, when they decide to do so, can produce absolutely fantastic scale model kits (examples being their new-tool 1/48 scale, Stearman, Mosquito & IDS Tornado kits, which I have direct experience with... and they are beautifully molded, well researched, affordable & accurate.) Would "we" have made some of the decisions they have made? No, we are 'modelers'. Does Revell make more money using the strategies they follow currently? Apparently yes, as they continue the same path. It is disappointing that such a long-running (and generally respected) company fails to live up to our expectations (or even maintain consistent standards...), but their goal is to stay in business, not make every niche of their customer base happy (with every kit.) Perhaps, if they sell enough "toys" (IMO, not likely given the price point...) they can put out a couple of excellent kits. Or perhaps there is ONE guy in product development that doesn't take models of movie props seriously like he does 'real' things like aircraft, cars, ships & tanks... aka 'standard modeling fare'.

That is the reality of the situation. It will be lucky if even *one* of Revell's SW kits meets "our" expectations, but at least we have alternatives out of Japan to feed our addiction for detail & accuracy!

As always,
Regards, Rober

apparently not any more. So they market to kids and won't allow us to buy products that suit our needs. What a great company.:facepalm

I did some maths on the new X-Wing. According to the length of the Bandai version which comes in 1:72 the Revell Level 2 version is about 1:49 scale... Very close to 1:48..! ;)

Hey guys!
I know that no one's thrilled with the new Revell kits, but the other day, I picked up the new Resistance x-wing kit. I was surprised to find that it really is a very nice kit! Beautiful panel lines, the 'droid plate is nicely detailed, as well ass the back plate, the cockpit, although molded as part of the electronics package, has some nice details, and can be cur apart, combined with a rudementary tub, or a Monogram F-86 cockpit tub like I used, and a crystal clear canopy with perfect frame painting, at least in my copy. The droid that's included can be lowered in it's socket to creat BB-8's body, just needs a mushroom cap - shaped head, and it's good to go. The cannons can be cut and rotated so the c- shaped things are vertical, and the holes in the bottom of the fuselage can be filled in. From pics I've seen on line, I think it's pretty damn close to the way it should look, albeit simplified for kids, which might get the little buggers interested in this great hobby. For $20 bucks, it's a nice size kit that can be turned into something special - I know it's not Bandai quaility, but it sure isn't a pig, like some might think it is. Would it be nice if it was a full on detailed serious kit? Absolutely, but it's almost 1/48 scale and an opportunity to use all those modeling skills we've learned over the years. I'll be posting my progress pics soon, hope you'll all take a look!

The level 1 kit is no where near 1/48 scale. The level 2 kit is closer to 1/48 and won't be out until the end October. Have fun building it.

I've got the same one (as shown in the pictures) and like mcusanelli I think this one, with some love can be a nice model. Compared to the first Revell Star Wars kits, the quality of the kits definitely has improved. The fit is good, theres no flash on the parts to speak of, and although the details may not be totally correct, what is there has been made well. So I'm going to have fun with this one too!

Last edited by a moderator:
@mcusanelli : Hello there! (I'm "Revell-Fan" ;) ). :)

Robiwon is correct, the Level 2 kit is about 1:49 and comes with better proportions, so that one's on my list, too. I love Poe's paint scheme A LOT; it is so much different from anything we have seen of Star Wars models.

What surprises me most is that the new kits don't have that ugly "weathering". Definitely an improvement.

Hi Galactican! Didn't know that you were here also! Yeah, i thought this one was close to 1/48, guess I was wrong. Oh well, the pilot i'm using is from Airfix, but he's way too small to be 1/48, so I'm hoping that he's close, but once he's painted, I think he'll look good in the cockpit. And it's nice to have a kit from Revell without their terrible weathering.
For some reason, this model really grabbed me, and I'm having fun fixing it up - I love nothing more than taking a basic kit and giving it the tlc treatment!
Furagu - Looking forward to seeing your build!
Has anyone seen a pic of the levell 2 kit - I can't find any.

These kits are really nice! The TIE even has a light effect in the cockpit!

Attachments

• 12002851_10204970217317531_7438682185230520575_n.jpg
    12002851_10204970217317531_7438682185230520575_n.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 241
Hey guys!
I know that no one's thrilled with the new Revell kits, but the other day, I picked up the new Resistance x-wing kit. I was surprised to find that it really is a very nice kit! Beautiful panel lines, the 'droid plate is nicely detailed, as well ass the back plate, the cockpit, although molded as part of the electronics package, has some nice details, and can be cur apart, combined with a rudementary tub, or a Monogram F-86 cockpit tub like I used, and a crystal clear canopy with perfect frame painting, at least in my copy. The droid that's included can be lowered in it's socket to creat BB-8's body, just needs a mushroom cap - shaped head, and it's good to go. The cannons can be cut and rotated so the c- shaped things are vertical, and the holes in the bottom of the fuselage can be filled in. From pics I've seen on line, I think it's pretty damn close to the way it should look, albeit simplified for kids, which might get the little buggers interested in this great hobby. For $20 bucks, it's a nice size kit that can be turned into something special - I know it's not Bandai quaility, but it sure isn't a pig, like some might think it is. Would it be nice if it was a full on detailed serious kit? Absolutely, but it's almost 1/48 scale and an opportunity to use all those modeling skills we've learned over the years. I'll be posting my progress pics soon, hope you'll all take a look!
I had a look at the elite tie fighter and falcon, the tie fighter mouldings are very nice, nice enough to buy and convert the paint scheme to original films, detail on the sails is excellent , I might buy to cast koolshade pattern for 1/48 hasbro falcon , then build :)

Well well well, that's positive news for Revell. It turns out quite good after all. Needs to check these out as soon as they are in store here in Holland.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back