Reveal "The Force Awakens" models already in stores!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Furagu, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Furagu

Furagu New Member

Yesterday I picked up 2 of the 4 new light and sound kits from Revell from The Force Awakens! I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to sell them yet, I've looked everywhere on the web for a release data but none specify these September dates. The Revell website doesn't mention anything either.
    I bought them in a store somewhere in Germany. I won't say which one IMG_8127.jpg IMG_8126.jpg , I don't want get anybody in trouble.
    They offered All four new light and sound kits, I picked up the new Tie and the resistance X-wing. The other ones I'll buy next week.

The light and sound parts are nice, but gimmicky (of course)

The Falcon is quite crude in detail, I was not impressed.

Scales mentioned on the box are:
    Tie 1:51. The Tie is a bit bigger than my old AMT TIE's are.
    X-wing 1:78, which is totally off, I'd have to measure but the X-wing might be around 1:50. It's a good 2 inches longer than my Fine Molds 1:72 X-Wing.

The x-wing looks pretty good, except for the laser guns. The recoil plate is horizontal, and the tubes are too think.

I have to mention these are meant to play with, so the bigger scale models might be more accurate.

IMG_8126.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Randy13 likes this.
  2. Galactican

Galactican Well-Known Member

:cool

Thank you for the pics and the report! I'm looking forward to seeing the other kits.

3. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Reveal "The Force Awakens" models already in stores!

Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to see them finished!

You mentioned that there were 4 new models. What is the fourth?

- - - Updated - - -

That x-wing has a lot of potential

4. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

5. Furagu

Furagu New Member

I haven't seen an Interceptor. The fourth is a Poe Dameron version of the new X-Wing, different colors than the standard one.(yellow and red if I remember correctly, I couldn't take photographs). From the images I have seen so far of the x-wing, these colors were new to me. Then again, I tried to fight to watch too much information before I've actually seen the film and enjoy it then. I might be losing that battle...

These are not called easy kit, the box said Level 1 build and play model kit. The Easy kit models are a different line with a different price tag. I bought mine for €19,99.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  6. Furagu

Furagu New Member

A little bit more information: the Tie fighter is a 2 seater, pilot and gunner are back to back. The pilot's seat is pre-painted, the gunner's is not. Since this kit has no bottom, rear facing guns I assume Revell made it to look like a single seat. Perhaps the more elaborate model that is coming is basically the same, but made into the 2 seater with rear facing guns. The bottom of the cockpit has little holes in them for the speaker, maybe thats why Revell omitted the guns. The details are a quite flat, if I compare the solar panels with trailer stills, a lot of height is lacking. In all nice as a starter, but I hope there will be much more accurate versions coming (Bandai?).

7. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

....Yep....sorry you're right

Heres a link to the Wonderland site:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/plastic-models/revell/star-wars-kits/?page=2

revell-star-wars-episode-7-millenium-falcon-build-

revell-star-wars-episode-7-poes-x-wing-build-play

revell-star-wars-episode-7-resistance-x-wing-build

revell-star-wars-episode-7-first-order-tie-build-p

J

8. Galactican

There will be three different kind of models from Revell:

1. Easy-to-build ones with light and sound (as presented here, obviously aimed at children)
    2. Easy-kits (pre-painted snap together ones like the ones we already know from the Revell Clone Wars and the OTC kits)
    3. Models for the advanced modeler with a higher price tag (obviously traditional glue and paint kits in a larger scale)

How do the electronics look and sound? Is there a way to see a lil' YT video, please?

9. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Do you have any info on those? For Force Awakens, I've only seen the Build and Play kits, and the Easy kits. No mention of models for advanced modelers.

10. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

Thanks for the pictures! Could you provide some close up shots of the details?
    The kit does not look too shabby... Still I hope the other kit version will be bigger and have finer details. In the photos that showed up on facebook, the raised frames around the "integrated ladder" openings in the fuselage sides looked overpronounced, and the openings themselves seem to be almost flush with the fuselage, while in the screenshots of JJ standing next to the X-Wing the openings look quite deep. Should be an easy fix though. Unless the openings should close during flight.
    What I cannot tell from your photo or the facebook photos, does the kit have the details in the wing leading edge that the full size model has in the JJ screenshots mentioned above?
    The canopy looks a bit high in the fb photos, but I could be wrong.

A decent paint job should make this kit look quite good. :)

11. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Heres a link to the Revell Light & Sound thread started last week:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245511

...as far as the Falcon goes there'll be 4 Falcons released by Revell this year

1. OT Master Series (The re-issued FineMolds Kit),....no price yet,.....although rumours say £200.....around November

2. Ep 7 Easy Kit....(hopefully not a re-issueof the existing Easy Kit with a new rectangular dish) for £60

3. EP7 Build & Play with lights & sounds & a 32" with a flattened hull for £17

4. EP7 Pocket size kit @ £5.99

J

12. Furagu

Furagu New Member

Here are some photographs of the X-wing parts. At first glance they look okay, but compared to trailer stills and photographs they lack a lot of detail. Easy to build for kids. The overall shapes seem to be correct though, but don't expect anything close to the Fine Molds or Bandai kits.

IMG_8130.jpg IMG_8131.jpg IMG_8132.jpg

I'm not sure if I can post a video, I'll see what I can do. There are 3 sounds per kit, the Tie fighter sounds are the familiar ones. The X-wing sounds seem new to me. The X-wing has no light.

Haystack Hair likes this.
  13. darth_daniel

darth_daniel Sr Member

Thanks! :) Yes, definately needs quite some work to bring it to "model standards" but doable. The cockpit detail looks pretty good. The wing leading edges seem to be the weak point. I´ll keep my hopes up for the larger model to be better.

14. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures. How is the fit for the wings when they are closed?

Chris

15. Galactican

I only know that they are bigger and pricier and there is no mention of "Easy Kit" or "Build and Play". These are not the Master Series models Jaitea mentioned (these ones will be available only in the US). Here is a link with the different titles:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/plastic-models/revell/2015/space/?page=1

I guess we all will be smarter on Friday. ;)

16. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

So is the "Special forces" TIE with the gunner a larger TIE? I don't think the regular cockpit would fit two pilots. It doesn't make sense...

Officer: "Ok First Order planning meeting. First starfighters. How should we upgrade our TIE Fighters?"
    Engineer 1: "Well sir how about repainting the solar panels white?"
    Officer: "Yes, yes, I like it. Keep going."
    Engineer 2: "Well how about a version with shields? It works well for the Rebels."
    Officer: "That's a horrible suggestion Philips! You're fired."
    Engineer 3: "Sir, how about adding a gunner?"
    Officer: "Hmm, that might work... Of course we have no reason to do this, but I'll okay it."

17. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

The model seems to represent the TIE that two of the characters use in an escape attempt. I guess JJ thought it would be strange if one of them sat on the other's lap. I believe this TIE also has a larger rear window so the rear-facing gunner can see what they're shooting at.

18. Furagu

Furagu New Member

The backside of the cockpit of the kit sort of has a horizontal window, but nothing one can see through.
    I recon with the Tie it will not be really hard to get it to look much closer to the on-screen Tie, save for the detail on the spokes of the Tie fighters, those are quite rudimentary. I think these 2 seater Tie fighters are supposed to be bigger than the original ones, the cockpits are much roomier. So they are kinda in scale with the AMT Tie fighters, which I put in the first photograph for comparison.

The fit on the wings of the x-wing is very good, nice and flush with a bit of grip.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. Albertese

Albertese Well-Known Member

While there is only one seat in a regular TIE fighter, you can cram several people in there. The Rebels TV version of the TIE fighter is meant to be the classic fighter from the movies, There have been a few times where they had three other people squished in there. For one pilot it seems pretty roomy.

Now I know the cockpit set from the movies probably wouldn't fit more than one guy, but the Rebels show is considered official in every way by the current "powers that be" so it wouldn't surprise me for the new stuff to embrace the roomy TIE...

--Alex

20. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

The Cartoon TIE is official,....but is slightly different to the Movie TIE,......the ball is smaller compared to the wings

....so does that mean that the Cartoon wings are smaller,.....meaning the cockpit is the same as the movies

....or....the wings are the same ,...meaning the cockpit is more cramped in the movies

J

21. Albertese

Albertese Well-Known Member

No, no. It's the same TIE model as in the movie but in cartoon style. Note that Imperial Star Destroyers, Dart Vader, R2-D2, Grand Moff Tarkan and Lando Calrissian all appear differently in the cartoon than in the movie. I'm quite comfortable with the idea that they are all the same things as we saw in the movies but simply "cartoonified."

--Alex

22. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

If your comfortable with that idea, thats cool

....a lot of the designs in the cartoon hark back to Ralph McQuarrie concepts though

I would say that the TIE's in the cartoon are an earlier version than what are in the movies

J

23. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Yep. This.

24. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would disagree with this. The definitely picked a "style" for the show. Look at Vader. We saw at the end of ROTS that his suit looked (almost) identical to the one in ANH. I have a hard time believing that for a couple of years he had some weird pointy helmet.

Or threepio. We know what he looks like. But he was stylized for this show

Does that mean that during the clone wars humans had stylized heads?

25. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Character design is one thing,....the craft is another

The cartoon TIE's land on their wings,....whereas the movie TIE's wings are a lot thinner & finer

...I'm just suggesting that perhaps there are differences in the cockpit interior

I'm just throwing it out there:

http://starwarsrebels.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Fighter

Trivia

• The roaring engine sound for TIE Fighters was created by combining an elephant's scream, with the noise of a car driving on a wet road.
    • The word TIE stands for Twin Ion Engine.
      • LN stands for "Line".
    • According to Dave Filoni, the design of the TIE Fighter was influenced by the original concept art made by Ralph McQuarrie as well possibly based on the original Kenner Toys that were in stores during the early 1980s. For instance the wing proportion is shorter, enabling the wings to double as landing gear, and the command pod is larger in comparison to the TIEs seen in the Original Trilogy.
    J

26. Joosh

Joosh Active Member

If you add any of the EP.7 models to the basket on the Revell site it says available Sept 4th. I know according to "leaks" of catalogs that a number of the action figures and playsets are due to be released on Sept 7th.

I think there are also Lego sets releasing this week as well, but not 100% sure.

Why can they never get consistent scales on these things?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  27. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

28. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Yes looking at the Level 2 Ep 7 Falcon Easykit,....it is indeed the Re-issue of the existing Easykit with a new rectangular dish:

[​IMG]

Very disappointed in Revell's lack of effort

J

29. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

This is the Code 3 Falcon mould that Revell bought back in 2003:
    [​IMG]

This pretty much sums up the differences between Revell & Bandai:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...just to clarify,....Revell is the top pic

J

binkleywalker and Astro like this.
  30. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

Sidewalls are different. But still way too high. A Useless and Misplaced effort. They definitely didn't take the time for a completely new tool. What a waste.

I'm not disappointed. I never expected anything decent from Revell. They did exactly what I knew they would.

Two x-wings, same toy, different crap pre-paint.

And let's remember that the models that Revell are really playing up in the above photo are not their models. They are Fine Molds models - a superior product made by a superior company repackaged and resold by an inferior company with the implication that they have created something Masterful.

Please.

31. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

And another link from a "newsletter" today:
    http://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/starwars-bap.html

As a counter-point, to simply disregard the Revell issues as 'crap' is to denigrate the company's reputation & understate current reality. Looking at these kits from a "fact-based" perspective, it is obvious that these kits are targeted to an audience other than "serious modelers". Consider this: Fine Molds is a niche, 'enthusiast' company started from within the Hasegawa organization that is aiming at a generally more discerning Japanese modeling market. In fact, the Japanese seem to still generally value modeling as a serious hobby activity. Revell, on the other hand, is part of a large corporate organization that pursues profit via production & distribution opportunities. In short, it is run by 'bean-counters' (accountants) or a least is highly influenced by accounting concerns. So, one seems to be driven by a 'modelers mindset' first & the other is driven primarily by profit. Hence, Revell can not really be compared to companies like Bandai or Fine Molds where 'modelers' hold the 'wheel' - on top of them being Japanese. Would we compare Ferrari to Ford?

So, yes, Revell is emphasizing different aspects of their product development that result in simpler, cheaper (in quality though not necessarily in price!) toy-like products which will obviously disappoint a more demanding 'modeler'. Does this mean they are 'bad'? Perhaps just less suitable for our purposes. So be it. The Revell organization still, when they decide to do so, can produce absolutely fantastic scale model kits (examples being their new-tool 1/48 scale, Stearman, Mosquito & IDS Tornado kits, which I have direct experience with... and they are beautifully molded, well researched, affordable & accurate.) Would "we" have made some of the decisions they have made? No, we are 'modelers'. Does Revell make more money using the strategies they follow currently? Apparently yes, as they continue the same path. It is disappointing that such a long-running (and generally respected) company fails to live up to our expectations (or even maintain consistent standards...), but their goal is to stay in business, not make every niche of their customer base happy (with every kit.) Perhaps, if they sell enough "toys" (IMO, not likely given the price point...) they can put out a couple of excellent kits. Or perhaps there is ONE guy in product development that doesn't take models of movie props seriously like he does 'real' things like aircraft, cars, ships & tanks... aka 'standard modeling fare'.

That is the reality of the situation. It will be lucky if even *one* of Revell's SW kits meets "our" expectations, but at least we have alternatives out of Japan to feed our addiction for detail & accuracy!

As always,
    Regards, Rober

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    32buds, Galactican and TazMan2000 like this.
  32. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

I picked up the Revell JJ-wing last night at Target for Force Friday. My daughter wanted to get it and that's perfect. She'll build it and to her it will be fun and fine. For the same price (actually less), I'm ordering the Bandai JJ-wing from HLJ and I'll get a kit that will be far more accurate, detailed and pleasing to look at. We both win.

RANKKAWAARA1974 likes this.
  33. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

34. Furagu

Furagu New Member

Well, new news becomes old news, I guess everybody can have a look at these in stores now. I'll buy the rest of my TFA kits from Bandai ;-).

35. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

The link doesn't work. It probably was removed when they realized the comment should have been posted on a comedy website.

TazMan2000

36. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

37. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

I imagine they indeed did start out with ILM's computer model data, but had to simplify this or that for the build and play assembly toys. The skill Level 2 models, such as the X-wing, TIE and Kylo Ren's shuttle, look pretty accurate in shape and detail. The Falcon of course is not because it's a repop of the old one.

38. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

Ah, forget it.

"Turning Japanese. I think I'm turning Japanese. I really think so."

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Vacformedhero and TazMan2000 like this.
  39. Galactican

40. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

41. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Ok, so he reiterates that they had the CAD drawings from ILM

I can see how all the kits came from the CAD models,....they are, although simplified, quite accurate,....apart from the Level 2 Falcon,.....the most expensive kit

It looks as was pointed out earlier that the sidewalls have different details,.....but they are still waaaaay to tall.....theyve added the extra two landing gear bays (ESB) & the new dish,.....still has the smooth curved engine pice painted blue

....but overall its still the Code 3 model from 2003,....based on the MPC

They seem to make a big thing about rotating the quad turret on the wee Falcon,.....I hope this isn't a feature in the Film,....cause it will mess up the logic of the entrance to the gun turrets by the central ladder......

The wee Falcon has a nice clear engine grill,....details not on the Level 2 model

If Revell had made a large Falcon using the information they had for the Level 1 kit, I think they would have been on to a winner

It could have still had a simple snap assembly but at least its shape & dimensions would be correct

....& if you are waiting for the repackaged FineMolds kit,.....it has its own problems

J

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  42. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

:lol

TazMan2000

43. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Yeah , this was the original design for the falcon turrets to swivel but it was never shown in the final film, shouldn't make a difference to its operation you can step off the ladder and the whole turret room swivels, the minor change in gun movement is covered by the chair movement, when it reaches it's stops on each side the idea is that the turret would then rotate to give a greater arc of fire .....I hope this is a spoiler :) , anyway the falcon is the ultimate hot rod, she's going to have some upgrades in 30 years

44. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

oh and what price did he mention $299.......were in reach of some serious studio scale garage kits at this price bracket

45. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Aye, the Hasbro toy plus resin & 3D printed upgrades will still come in less than that... & it is a third larger (but of course also a lot more effort - but it is fun modeling effort!)
    Anyway, back on topic... wait, what was the OT?
    ;^P
    Regards, Robert

46. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

apparently not any more. So they market to kids and won't allow us to buy products that suit our needs. What a great company.:facepalm

47. woobit

woobit New Member

48. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

When are the Scale 2 versions scheduled for release?

49. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

Late October.

Chris

Bryancd likes this.
  50. Galactican

I did some maths on the new X-Wing. According to the length of the Bandai version which comes in 1:72 the Revell Level 2 version is about 1:49 scale... Very close to 1:48..! ;)