The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BUILD!

Re: The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BU

thanks for the link on the hamilton invaders pistol. I really enjoyed the read. Very resourceful in how you've taken an old vintage piece and turned it into something totally new.

i am not a prop builder at all but this has inspired me to start a project on my own perhaps. i am very much interested in a similar style pistol

I see where the pistol grip came from. how did you come up with the circular round style barrel?

Re: The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BU

thanks for the link on the hamilton invaders pistol. I really enjoyed the read. Very resourceful in how you've taken an old vintage piece and turned it into something totally new.

i am not a prop builder at all but this has inspired me to start a project on my own perhaps. i am very much interested in a similar style pistol

I see where the pistol grip came from. how did you come up with the circular round style barrel?

I have a box of items I collect for model making. Some parts or shapes are scratch built. In this case I made silicon castings of various parts, pieces, and the Hamilton Invaders pistol and made a basic collection of resin parts and shapes I wanted to fashion into a unique gun. I had a basic design in mind - The Flash Gordon Comic Book drawing of his pistol. Then I took my collection of parts and custom modified the Hamilton Pistol into the final version you see. I am also using the molds I made for the resin parts to customize several other entirely different designs on the same basic RETRO Art Deco cannon. If you are interested in making your own props - all the information you need is here on the forum. Some members helped me with specific questions and there was a lot of trial and error. With each project I learned something new. After FOUR YEARS on the RPF - I finally get to build my own project. You can use any combination of techniques to fit your budget and modeling skill level to produce your own creations or replicas. Source chemicals and materials can be purchased on line from the SMOOTH-ON web site. You can watch HOW-TO Videos on prop building and casting on YOUTUBE. You can look at other members BUILD THREADS on the RPF. YOU CAN DO IT ! Watch the videos - follow the directions - you do not need a whole workshop (but it helps) . You can do almost anything on a small scale at your kitchen table. Start with something simple. Set a goal, and don't be afraid to try something new. Baby steps. I have been working on the skills for this for four years. I made the RHINO model in 2004 (with an early version of RHINO - Now I have the 2012 RHINO release.) I am only now finally getting to do my FLASH GORDON concept. I have been making props since I was a kid. It is never too late to start. If you ever went to kindergarten and played with crayons, scissors, and a glue stick - you SIR - can make a prop. How determined, how detailed, how big, how expensive, is entirely up to you. You can spend $ 20K on a CNC cutter or 3D Printer - or gets a piece of wood, pvc pipe, and an exacto knive - and go to town. It your are determined enough - you can make a lifesize 1:1 scale model of the Eiffel Tower with nothing but Toothpicks and wood glue (I did not say it would be easy.) Just try it.

I hope that helps.

More pics:
Art Deco 1.jpg

Using Photoshop to refine the detail of the overall shape - the gun pics up unique geometric shapes when photographed from various angles.

NEW VERSION component parts poured - more to come.

PARTS.jpg

In progress - pouring more parts for a unique reconfiguration of the original component pistol. The final design will be decided during construction. The concept of component parts solved the problem of being limited once a pistol was built and design locked in - the molds would only work for the the original design. A new molding process would be costly and have limited possibilities. I guess that is what makes LEGOs so popular.

NEW VERSION component parts poured - more to come.

View attachment 399268

In progress - pouring more parts for a unique reconfiguration of the original component pistol. The final design will be decided during construction. The concept of component parts solved the problem of being limited once a pistol was built and design locked in - the molds would only work for the the original design. A new molding process would be costly and have limited possibilities. I guess that is what makes LEGOs so popular.

Ooooo- I like where this is heading , judging by the components own.

Excellent work, Gordon. You went from Zero to 60 in less than 10 seconds!

Excellent work, Gordon. You went from Zero to 60 in less than 10 seconds!

THANK you Soooooo much Shawn. All those hours you invested and spent tutoring over the hone did not go unrewarded. My dream project coming to realization. The ability to produce my own work. The flexibility of a component kit that create almost endless unique combinations. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. Of course I still have a long way to go - as you once said "casting and molding is an art itself." Learning to get a quality product out of a mold is no small accomplishment. I hope to finish the second kit over the holidays. I still have a long way to go on the paint job for the first - but things are coming together. I have some other ideas on the drawing board. My molds are holding up and spitting out decent castings. Life is good. Thanks for the comments - but thanks for taking the time over the years to help me along from knowing nothing - to finally making something unique. You are the best!! Gordon

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back