Philosopher’s Stone/CoS - Dumbledore’s Wand?

The14thDr

Sr Member
As I understand it, the wands in the Philosopher’s Stone and the Chamber of Secret were very different from the ones seen in the later movies (which became much more consistent in design). I also seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that once the importance of the Elder Wand had been revealed in the books, the movie makers updated the prop to make it look more impressive. I’m not sure how true it is, but that’s what I remember hearing.

Does anyone happen to have any photos of Dumbledore’s wand in either The Philosopher’s Stone or The Chamber of Secrets, it has anyone ever attempted this version of the prop themselves?

As I understand it, the wands in the Philosopher’s Stone and the Chamber of Secret were very different from the ones seen in the later movies (which became much more consistent in design). I also seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that once the importance of the Elder Wand had been revealed in the books, the movie makers updated the prop to make it look more impressive. I’m not sure how true it is, but that’s what I remember hearing.

Does anyone happen to have any photos of Dumbledore’s wand in either The Philosopher’s Stone or The Chamber of Secrets, it has anyone ever attempted this version of the prop themselves?

I don’t know about Dumbledore’s wand in particular, but I have some details about some other wands. In the behind the scenes, Alfonso Cuáran (probably miss-spelled) said that he had the cast choose new wands from a selection he had made. Each character had the same wand from the POA on, except those who lose their wands later (Like Luna and Cho Chang, but I guess they came in later anyway). As far as I know, Dumbledore’s wand was the same from the third movie on, but again not sure. I don’t think it was changed when it was believed to be the Elder wand, in the BTS I think it was one of the production designers who said also that when Deathly Hallows book came out, they continued to use the same design that was chosen in Azkaban because it was very unique and they saw no point in changing it. That being said, I’m not sure what the original was and am curious too, and I think that the only change was in Azkaban. I’ll try researching a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the slight correction. I may have just misheard the “Elder Wand redesign” thing, or maybe just heard it from an incorrect source. I’ve been digging but so far have found nothing on the pre-Azkaban Dumbledore Wand.

3c71bdac3ca84e561b598a6d4d8bec1d.jpg

It’s interesting to see how Draco and Snape’s wands stayed pretty much identical throughout, with all the other designs undergoing such massive changes.

After a bit of searching I managed to find these replicas. They are referred to as the “Dumbledore two-ball” wand, but that search term doesn’t seem to bring up any more information.
53bdec775142d287601a729940d55bae.jpg

1f32a48aa18b0a172b9c0c652a7dce05.jpg

I’m not sure how accurate these are, or if they’re even based on the PS/CoS wand, but it’s a start.

Last edited:
This is all I’ve found, you might have already seen it. It’s a collector’s statue, based on the Philosopher’s Stone, but I’m almost certain he’s holding the Azkaban wand because the artist could only find reference for it. I can’t remember him using his wand in the first two films. Did they even make one for him?
954bc2fa0f114545e870568301831546.png

Yeah, that’s definitely the Azkaban wand. Come to think of it, I don’t remember Dumbledore ever using his wand in the first two films, I just assumed they might have made one for him (which might be where that “two ball” version originated.)

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to get in touch with Pierre Bohanna (who made the props for all the Potter films) and ask whether he has any information - or even photographs - of the original Dumbledore wand (if indeed there was such a thing.)

There was only ever one wand for Dumbledore which is the design you see in each film after Azkaban. In 2005 Noble Collection released a replica which leads me to believe the wand was designed but not used in Azkaban, this would seem to be the case because the wand shares the same organic designs that were introduced in Azkaban. In the Page to Screen book, it mentions that the wand was made from oak with ivory inlays which was then cast and reproduced for every film after Goblet of Fire.

The "Two Ball" version in the pictures above is a cheap and inaccurate knock-off produced in China.

As others have stated the Noble Collection version is the one to get as it seems to be cast from a mould of one of the props.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back