The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Re: The 'Ideal' Obi ANH Derwent Interconnect Replica

Just wanted to say that I'm definitely interested. Maybe after all these years I'll be able to start putting the old Obi ANH saber together after all... pending that certain people apply this same attention to detail and desire for accuracy to the grenade... :)

Be wary, some people clearly do NOT apply the requisite attention to detail to their projects, and prefer to avoid public discussion of accuracy regarding them.

Not all prop vendors operate at the same level, or we would not still be trying to get accurate parts. :rolleyes

I'm not trying to start an argument at all, but since I have the Chen grenade I am curious if it's ever been discussed....is there a lot of room for improvement on the grenade if you have Chen's?

Sorry for the off-topic question :$

-Ss

The lengthwise grooves, frag body chamfer, stem bevel and windvane sleeve dimensions need to be tweaked, and I’d like to see the stem diameters double-checked as well.

Whether overall it's a 'lot' depends very much on who's talking, but I'd be much happier with a replica with those issues resolved.

Oh by the way I think Chen worked hard on his project and he clearly showed he was willing to listen to feedback, so I don't mean him by my above comment.

I also think community awareness of how much cooperative research CAN be done on this sort of project has risen greatly since the time of his project. The cowboy school of not-entirely-accurate replicas hopefully doesn't have it quite as easy as it once did. ;)

Last edited:

Hi guys got both prices now for steel and alu!! Sign up list will be up and running tonight!!!! :)

Thanks
Russ

Hi GH. The run will be CNC'd from a print I drew up having measured my original balance pipe - pics in my previous posts.
Andres has provided valuable detailed feedback on the blueprint, and I'm waiting on two measurment clarifications from him.
I want the 'Serafino seal of approval' before I submit the print to Russ, as I consider him to be the authority on this saber.

Chemically etching the steel (after polishing) can give the a dull grey look.

SAS

Sidewinder can you tell us more about this process? I will be looking for a way to get this super-matte look on mine without paying the typical minimum charge of a shop that does abrasive blasting.

In metallurgy we polish samples to a 1micron (diamond paste) finish and then etch the surface to allow us to view the structure using microscopes. For mild steel like this you could use a Nital solution which is 2-5% Nitric Acid and Methanol. This will give you a visually dull grey appearance, the longer you leave it the darker it will get.
You will retain the shine or sheen of the polished finish (or whatever you start from).
Problems: Getting hold of the Meths and Nitric, the surface will rust and be very susceptible to fingermarks etc(will need a clear coat), getting an even finish - immersion is best. Once etched its best not to physically touch the surface(to avoid smudging), just rinse with water and dry ideally using a Meths wash and then hot air.
The etch itself is very shallow so is easy to repolish out.

Note. Conc. Nitiric Acid is extremely unpleasant and Meths is very flammable

You can buy Nital ready made, at which point the acid content is very low but you still need to be careful.

SAS

Last edited:

Thanks!

Apparently people have also used phosphoric acid, and I am curious to find out whether the 'rust-browning' process used for old-fashioned firearms would give a similar texture after a rust-remover is used to get the color back to grey.

Among the blasted abrasive alternatives, the 'French grey" finish sometimes applied to firearms (the non-plated version) is another interesting possibility.

Guys...I'm having an issue weathering this thing. I've got it at a nice gray color thanks to various baths of vinegar and lemon juice, but my problem is that it rusts over immediately after I take it out of liquid. Like, within a few hours. At the moment, I keep it submerged so that I don't have to scrub off rust for the umpteenth time. Is there some secret I'm missing? Should I be using this "renaissance wax" right away?

Etching mild steel tends to increase its susceptibility to rusting, any protection should be applied immediatly.

SAS

Would something like Testors Dullcoat help, if applied right after taking the emitter out of the acid bath?

If you can get the thing thoroughly dry and clean and get your Dullcoat on right away it may work, but I haven't tried that.

Best way is just running water then a rinse of meths and then dry in a hot air stream to evaporate the meths, all without 'toweling' etc of the surface.
Then coat it immediatly.

SAS

Best way is just running water then a rinse of meths and then dry in a hot air stream to evaporate the meths, all without 'toweling' etc of the surface.
Then coat it immediatly.

SAS

I like this method, but what are the "meths" sidewinder? Can you elaborate a bit on that? Thanks!! :)

-Ss

"Industrial methylated spirits" - Ethanol is usually sold as industrial methylated spirits which is ethanol with a small quantity of methanol added and possibly some colour. Methanol is poisonous, and so the industrial methylated spirits is unfit to drink. This avoids the high taxes which are levied on alcoholic drinks (certainly in the UK!).
I have the clear (industrial) stuff which is better for this application than the 'mineralised' which is dyed purple.

Basically the water gets rid of the acid and the meths gets rid of the water then the hot air (haidryer) evaporates the meths (should leave no contaminating residue). This is standard practice in Metallographic labs where metal samples are etched so the strycture can be inspected macro/microscopically.

SAS

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back