Help needed tracing a design on a still image

GatorDave113

Jr Member
Hey RPF,

I've just acquired some reference images for a staff that I'm looking to replicate and I'm needing to trace the design of the overlays at both ends. Is there a particular software that you all would suggest that I use?

Literally any drawing/paint program. But you may have more luck simply taping a piece of thin paper or even a clear plastic bag to the screen and tracing it with a marker.

-Rog

[deleted]

- - - Updated - - -

Literally any drawing/paint program. But you may have more luck simply taping a piece of thin paper or even a clear plastic bag to the screen and tracing it with a marker.

-Rog

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give that a shot. Do you know if paint has the ability to enlarge the tracings after I make them? The images are rather small compared to the actual staff and I was hoping for something that could scale everything up after I'm done.

I have started using adobe illustrator cc. You can try it out for 7 days free and it's pretty powerful. Might be overkill if this is all you need it for.

Use vectors.

It is a lot more of a learning curve, but well worth it.

Not all of the programs floating around will handle vector art. Painter, for instance, is designed around replicating natural media and is all about working in bitmap. Illustrator, on the flip side, is normalized towards vector although it increasingly has a lot of paint-like functions as well.

Here's why this matters; a vector trace is inherently and infinitely scale-able. You can create it at whatever size is convenient, then change it to print or otherwise use at whatever scale is necessary for the prop.

And vector is transportable to CNC processes; to laser cutting and to CNC machining and (with a couple additional steps) 3d printing.

Last suggestion; if you don't already have a graphics program you own/are familiar with, get Inkscape. It is free, multiplatform, and does almost everything. The downside is a not always intuitive interface. (Originally I said Gimp, but Gimp is more a general art program and the vectors are more primitive. Inkscape, in my humble opinion, handles basic vector stuff cleaner and simpler than the recent bloated versions of Illustrator. My Holocrons are all done in Inkscape.)

This sounds really great as well thank you so much for that suggestion. Im going to try tracing the same image in a couple of these programs and test which I like more.

Cheers,
Dave the Gator

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back