GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

First off, @NeilT, since you have @d_osborn blocked (I'm pretty sure), he actually responded to this from you:

dan's first idea had taken place in the future, and involved intergalatic ghostbusters!

Without murray, over time, that idea was allowed to evolve, and simplify and eventually, thanks to harold mostly (I think) and ivan, we got Ghostbusters. If Murray saw that original concept, he would have nixed it and it wouldn't have gotten to the evolved point we all know and love. murray was just a hired gun, but due to his star power, got far more than he deserved, i think. harold and dan and ivan did all the heavy lifting.

with this:

Belushi passed away while Aykroyd was still writing his first draft. After some time, Aykroyd dusted off the incomplete script and pitched Belushi's role to Murray, who agreed immediately. Aykroyd finished the script, pitched to Reitman, who then brought in Ramis. The rest is history.

That's more or less how I think I've pieced it together over the years.

I just had a thought after dropping my son off at kindergarten. Kids delve deeply into their playing situations. They take their games and fantasy situations really seriously. And IMO they want us to treat them seriously when they are playing. I bet I am not the only one here who has experienced a childs anger and frustration if that was not done and they were forced to stop playing or their fantasies were ridiculed or they were abruptly pulled out of their fantasy world.

Are we probably having a similar situation here? I think we do. I am not saying that we as fans are children, but even as grown ups we carry a lot of that childish lust for playing and fantasy worlds in us. This is the RPF, right? So is there anyone here in thia discussion that would say he or she does not cater to his or her inner childs needs by participating in his community?

I would go as fas and say that the movie audience satisfies their childish needs by watching movies that take them away to different places.

With how the OGB came into the world, despite being a means of putting bread on the table for everyone involved, it had a very playful tone to it all. And IMO that is what makes it so light and accessible.

[...]

All good movies, at least those that primarily want to entertain, have a playfulness to them that always shines through, something childish.
We know what happens when kids go into puberty, though. They sometimes become quite awkward people.

This, and what NeilT touched on with Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, and so forth... Kids tend to internalize things. It's how we learn. That function tends to dwindle as we get older, to greater or lesser degree. I've worked hard to keep my mind flexible and open and absorptive, so I've acquired some new fandoms at the same time I've retained a couple of old faves. It was commented on in Star Trek that the more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simple pleasures of play. This is considered why mammals play, moreso the higher the order of intelligence.

There tend to be two conflicting things at work with us, though. On a biological level, as we (and out brains) mature, the play becomes more complex. At the same time, we have the societal message of "grown-ups don't play or have toys". "I put aside childish things", and all that. I consider that view unhealthy, but I won't get into data and anecdata to back up that assertion here. I will say, though, that most of us here have seen through that line of fertilizer and we still play -- our games have just blurred with the real world, and our toys have become much more expensive and complex.

It seems to me perfectly natural and justified that when we see a fictional universe that we've so internalized as to not only watch or read the original offerings, but have projected ourselves into that universe, be it through fan fiction or costuming or building models or props or going to conventions or otherwise acting out an adopted or autoinsertion persona... Well, we consider it a part of who we are as individual identity, and us a part of it. So when someone comes along that doesn't "get it", there's a schism between the fictional universe and we who inhabit it.

Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Transformers, GI Joe... and yes, Ghostbusters. All were attempts by their creators to tell an engaging enough story to draw an audience and make some money. All became something bigger than their creators imagined or intended. I don't mean in terms of viewership. I mean unintentionally putting some deep and compelling contextual lore in their creations. Lightning in a bottle. Too often the original creators don't see or understand what it is they did, and when they try to recapture the whatever-it-was later, it tends to not go as well. When inheritors of those fictional universes decide they want to try to cash in on the appeal of the original, it's almost always awful unless they're fortunate enough to have a truly creative person or people involved.

Star Trek: The Next Generation was a mess getting going, and for the first several years, and almost didn't make it. Rampaging egos, studio politics, creative differences, and Gene's declining health and increasing desire to leave a Legacy... Whoo, messy.

The new Battlestar Galactica was good, but should have been its own thing and not touched that brand, as it certainly all but completely ignored the lore of the original. Dated production values and studio interference aside, there was a strong enough mythic undercurrent it attracted some seriously loyal fans (and actors), and its absence (plus the general pettiness and unlikability of the principle characters) make the new series stand out starkly in contrast.

All the way back to test screenings of the original Star Wars, there was a disconnect between George and his audience. They didn't laugh at things he thought were funny, and laughed at things he hadn't intended to be funny. If Marcia hadn't told him to let it be because people were responding to it, even if not the way he wanted, we might have ended up with something very different, and not nearly as organic.

Hasbro had the comics and cartoons to market its toy lines. There was a lot of chaff put out -- especially in the cartoons -- but also some seriously tasty grains of Universal Truths. Transformers had become, all over Hasbro's head, an epic and mythic saga of creation versus entropy, order versus chaos, all the way back to the beginning of the universe. GI Joe explored the psychology of those who volunteer to serve, those who seek to rule, and the now-more-pertinent-than-ever question of how far to go to protect the people before you become the villain yourself. *looks at the recent film offerings, ordered and approved by Hasbro* Yeah, I don't think they actually paid any attention to what the last batch of people they had marketing their toys came up with.

And we know all about the messy evolution of GB. I'm one of those who liked GB2 a lot. I didn't expect it to be a tone-match to the original. I expected the characters to have evolved, and they did. I expected things to have changed since the first film, and they had. The cartoons and comics and video games are always a coin-toss, and thus I liked some and didn't like some. I am one who adores the '09 game for its expansion of the lore and addition of compelling new characters. Regardless of any other issues, I call that a win.

So all of what I've written is why I am negative about this new GB. Lack of respect for the original setting and characters, lack of understanding what made it work, lack of respect for the fans of the original (and the kids they'd bring with them to see a well-done new film), cynical cashgrab mixed with an exec and a filmmaker with an agenda to push/axe to grind... Not a healthy mix.

Female super (!) heroes to me were never less "super" than male superheroes. Wonder Woman? Big Barda? Supergirl? Does it get any more "super"?

Phoenix...? :p

...Moving on.

As I already wrote in a previous post, where is the need to change Thor (the SON of Odin) into a female. I have not read the current comics, so I have no clue what is going on. I understand how e.g. Beta Ray Bill came into the Marvel Universe, but gender swapping? Did Thor get a complete new backstory?
What about the Valkyries? As far as I know in the norse culture women were held in high regards and seen as equals?

Well, as far as what's up with this female Thor, I'll quote myself from the Ragnarok thread:

In the past Thor's been turned into a woman as a lesson from Odin and such, but it's still been Thor. Worthy women have wielded Mjolnir, and -- per the enchantment -- were granted the power of Thor, while not being Thor.

I'll interject here to say that when this female Thor was announced, Marvel shouted from the rooftops that this wasn't a gimmick, it really is Thor, just a reimagining of the character as a woman. Not sure how they expected that to work without some sort of alternate reality or time travel or whatever, but --

Which ultimately ended up being where Marvel went with their whole "no, it really is Thor, but a woman now" turning out to be
Jane Foster -- and since Natalie Portman is apparently done with the MCU, I can't see that happening.
Besides, it ended up not being what Marvel initially claimed. So. To do it right (IMO), Thor needs to die with the rest of the Asgardians (letting Hemsworth end his contract), and some new individual be born as Thor reincarnated -- not "a man's soul in a woman's body", not an existing person who becomes Thor, but an actual person who is, by worthiness of birth and the soul inhabiting their frame, and by whatever unique name they're known, the new Goddess of Thunder.

I have more faith for Marvel Studios getting that right than I do Sony and Paul Feig getting Ghostbusters right. This despite a few missteps (Iron Man 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron -- both good, both with the potential to be much better if the creative teams hadn't been shoehorned into certain things by studio interference).

People have mentioned the difficulty of doing something original that borrows from a particular IP. My solution has been to play to it. Have the various characters be interested in paranormal investigation, for whatever reason(s), like the Ghost Hunters. Let them be fans of the Ghostbusters films and such, let something seriously real and threatening happen, let them track down Dan Aykroyd because they know he's actually really into this stuff, let them drag a scientist friend into it to help them build real proton packs, let Dan totally geek out over how cool that is, let them save the day calling themselves Ghostbusters and wearing the logo, let Sony threaten to sue, and Dan tell them to stick it. It can be done. Just as easily as my thirty-second stream-of-consciousness proposal for a true sequel quite a few pages back*.

[*So anyone interested who doesn't remember or want to dig:
Paranormal investigation is more mainstream and accepted, Egon, Ray, and Winston have been doing lectures and writing books and helping out new groups. Egon dies. Ray and Winston and Lewis and Janine have a moment driving back from the funeral talking about seeing Peter and Dana there after so many years of not, how they've moved on with their lives in a different direction. Awkward, but it reminded them how much they missed the old days. Something Happens. They acknowledge they're getting too old for this [stuff], call in Ilyssa Selwyn (Alyssa Milano's character in the game), check to see how the franchises they started are doing as far as having people who could handle something of this magnitude, and go from there. Get a good script and Rick Moranis would have been happy to come back. And Bill Murray and all his difficultness could be glossed over ("You get royalties and don't have to do anything").
]

So yeah. I feel badly-done-by, and worse because my legitimate complaints and criticisms are ignored, dismissed, or lumped in with the irrational haters, which I am not.

--Jonah

Last edited:
Yeah thats right, thats what happens to any Stay Puft that rock up in my kids hood.....

20160616_203937.png

Sorry but I felt we needed a bit of a reset for this thread.... more ghostbusters.... less personal attacks....

Yeah thats right, thats what happens to any Stay Puft that rock up in my kids hood.....

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/mk1rob/Mobile Uploads/20160616_203937.jpg.

Sorry but I felt we needed a bit of a reset for this thread.... more ghostbusters.... less personal attacks....

not that i don't disagree, but

personal attacks have been happening way back since page 10, most against me ;o)

just something you learn to live with being an anti person ;o)

- - - Updated - - -

People have mentioned the difficulty of doing something original that borrows from a particular IP. My solution has been to play to it. Have the various characters be interested in paranormal investigation, for whatever reason(s), like the Ghost Hunters. Let them be fans of the Ghostbusters films and such, let something seriously real and threatening happen, let them track down Dan Aykroyd because they know he's actually really into this stuff, let them drag a scientist friend into it to help them build real proton packs, let Dan totally geek out over how cool that is, let them save the day calling themselves Ghostbusters and wearing the logo, let Sony threaten to sue, and Dan tell them to stick it. It can be done. Just as easily as my thirty-second stream-of-consciousness proposal for a true sequel quite a few pages back*.

[*So anyone interested who doesn't remember or want to dig:
Paranormal investigation is more mainstream and accepted, Egon, Ray, and Winston have been doing lectures and writing books and helping out new groups. Egon dies. Ray and Winston and Lewis and Janine have a moment driving back from the funeral talking about seeing Peter and Dana there after so many years of not, how they've moved on with their lives in a different direction. Awkward, but it reminded them how much they missed the old days. Something Happens. They acknowledge they're getting too old for this [stuff], call in Ilyssa Selwyn (Alyssa Milano's character in the game), check to see how the franchises they started are doing as far as having people who could handle something of this magnitude, and go from there. Get a good script and Rick Moranis would have been happy to come back. And Bill Murray and all his difficultness could be glossed over ("You get royalties and don't have to do anything").
]

So yeah. I feel badly-done-by, and worse because my legitimate complaints and criticisms are ignored, dismissed, or lumped in with the irrational haters, which I am not.

--Jonah

I actually kind of love that idea above. it'd make a great fan film.

just more proof that it's really NOT that hard to come up with a great original and fun way to continue things, while still being tounge in cheek....if you truly do love and care about the subject to which you've been assigned.

https://www.scified.com/news/15-things-wrong-with-the-ghostbusters-reboot

some more rumors..#9 is the possible big spoiler.....

god i hope not. even with time travel, this thing is going to become one big edited mess, just like bay turtles one in which nothing makes sense.
maybe they shot two scenes, and this one was from the reshoots..

I know this is off topic but I just saw the meme today, there was a line in the turtles movie where the guy says "we will take every last drop of their blood....even if it kills them!":lol

Back on topic, that was a good article. I really agreed with the guy, but lost a little respect when he said "orientated". Makes me cringe every time I see that.

I know this is off topic but I just saw the meme today, there was a line in the turtles movie where the guy says "we will take every last drop of their blood....even if it kills them!":lol .

Oh, it goes far beyond that. that is the LEAST of that movies problems....

OK, Soap Box moment. I don't plan on paying for this movie. If I can pay for another Sony movie, and then go in to see feigbusters, I will.. If not, I will patiently wait for it to hit broadcast TV and experience the horror that way, with my accompanying RiffTrax track.

How can I do that with anticipation of how bad it'll be building?
I decided to buy the kindle book for $5's. and will return it for a refund in a few days, so i didn't really buy anything ;o)...

I thought... how bad could a book be? it couldn't possibly give us the full effect of a feig film, can it?
Here is the low down so far....

So far, we have.....

- Making sure the audience knows they are women (blouse straightening, skirt hiking)
- the male members of the cast being ditsy or un supportive, or just plain dickish (Wiggs character has an awkward boyfriend that doesn't know how to kiss right somehow.)
- no explanation of technology (it's just... there....and the movie assumes you know these characters will develop it and doesn't go into explaining the how or why)
- Product Placement - Amazon mentioned once, then twice by full domain name, with 'both kindle and hard cover' mentioned. Pringles also shows up.
- Fart joke within the first ten minutes.
- the dialogue is just as bad as you'd imagine. there is not only a running gag with the won tons, that's not really funny, just makes the lead character come off as bossy....
but also a running gag about how one of the lead women dresses, mentioned at least three times at the start.
- Patty is a lonely subway worker, who contracts the ghostbusters to find the subway ghost.
- Rowan is a loner who works as a janitor (possibly making fun of all the nerds in basement complaining about this movie).
-Kevin is introduced. he gets distracted by a phone, that for some reason is in a fish tank. He tries to get the phone by repeatedly smashing his hand on the glass wondering why he can't get to the phone. the girls hire him because 'they see something there that has potential'.

I'm not making that up, that's actual dialogue.

- the idiots go onto a LIVE SUBWAY TRACK to find the ghost. they do, and bring the prototype proton gun onto the track AS A TRAIN IS APPROACHING. they test it right then and there, but it doesn' work. they then scramble to get off the track as the train hits a nuclear proton prototype with no apparent ill will.

There are also nods to the original movie all over the place. 'Burn in Hell' is now a sign that says 'please don't write stupid stuff on the door'. 'Abby' invents a PKE meter, but because she's never encountered a ghost before, she's never seen it in working order and when it starts to spin, she says 'I didn't know it did that!' about something SHE supposedly designed and invented. When the proton prototype gets destroyed, somehow it traps the ghost instantly for a second with it's energy. one character gets excited, then belatedly says 'I hope you didn't look directly at that flash'....the other says 'i looked at the flash'..

and that's as far as I got as I groaned allowed..

No motivation for Rowan yet other than that he is a loner, has a device that can attract ghosts, and has a mirror filled with ghosts in his apartment.

For you 'can't review it before you see it types, I hope you appreciate the sacrifice. I can now hold off on seeing this thing, because after reading this atrocity to print, I can get a better image of the full horror the real thing will endure! ;o)....

thank god for returns!

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about that. don't scroll down if you care enough not to be spoiled!
spoil tag didn't work right the first time!

I agree with Leslie Jones' appraisal at the end of that spot. That's just terrible top to bottom. I hope Sony caught a G rating; they've resorted to marketing to 2nd graders...

how does it keep on getting worse? you test a 'deadly high five' in an alley way with apartments?

oh, and the other thing forgot to mention..there is ALOT more licking in this thing than the stupid proton guns.

she warns one character not to lick the trap three times... then licks the proton guns later...stupid for geniuses

Last edited by a moderator:
There tend to be two conflicting things at work with us, though. On a biological level, as we (and out brains) mature, the play becomes more complex. At the same time, we have the societal message of "grown-ups don't play or have toys". "I put aside childish things", and all that. I consider that view unhealthy, but I won't get into data and anecdata to back up that assertion here. I will say, though, that most of us here have seen through that line of fertilizer and we still play -- our games have just blurred with the real world, and our toys have become much more expensive and complex.

It seems to me perfectly natural and justified that when we see a fictional universe that we've so internalized as to not only watch or read the original offerings, but have projected ourselves into that universe, be it through fan fiction or costuming or building models or props or going to conventions or otherwise acting out an adopted or autoinsertion persona... Well, we consider it a part of who we are as individual identity, and us a part of it. So when someone comes along that doesn't "get it", there's a schism between the fictional universe and we who inhabit it.

Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Transformers, GI Joe... and yes, Ghostbusters. All were attempts by their creators to tell an engaging enough story to draw an audience and make some money. All became something bigger than their creators imagined or intended. I don't mean in terms of viewership. I mean unintentionally putting some deep and compelling contextual lore in their creations. Lightning in a bottle. Too often the original creators don't see or understand what it is they did, and when they try to recapture the whatever-it-was later, it tends to not go as well. When inheritors of those fictional universes decide they want to try to cash in on the appeal of the original, it's almost always awful unless they're fortunate enough to have a truly creative person or people involved.

Star Trek: The Next Generation was a mess getting going, and for the first several years, and almost didn't make it. Rampaging egos, studio politics, creative differences, and Gene's declining health and increasing desire to leave a Legacy... Whoo, messy.

The new Battlestar Galactica was good, but should have been its own thing and not touched that brand, as it certainly all but completely ignored the lore of the original. Dated production values and studio interference aside, there was a strong enough mythic undercurrent it attracted some seriously loyal fans (and actors), and its absence (plus the general pettiness and unlikability of the principle characters) make the new series stand out starkly in contrast.

All the way back to test screenings of the original Star Wars, there was a disconnect between George and his audience. They didn't laugh at things he thought were funny, and laughed at things he hadn't intended to be funny. If Marcia hadn't told him to let it be because people were responding to it, even if not the way he wanted, we might have ended up with something very different, and not nearly as organic.

Hasbro had the comics and cartoons to market its toy lines. There was a lot of chaff put out -- especially in the cartoons -- but also some seriously tasty grains of Universal Truths. Transformers had become, all over Hasbro's head, an epic and mythic saga of creation versus entropy, order versus chaos, all the way back to the beginning of the universe. GI Joe explored the psychology of those who volunteer to serve, those who seek to rule, and the now-more-pertinent-than-ever question of how far to go to protect the people before you become the villain yourself. *looks at the recent film offerings, ordered and approved by Hasbro* Yeah, I don't think they actually paid any attention to what the last batch of people they had marketing their toys came up with.

And we know all about the messy evolution of GB. I'm one of those who liked GB2 a lot. I didn't expect it to be a tone-match to the original. I expected the characters to have evolved, and they did. I expected things to have changed since the first film, and they had. The cartoons and comics and video games are always a coin-toss, and thus I liked some and didn't like some. I am one who adores the '09 game for its expansion of the lore and addition of compelling new characters. Regardless of any other issues, I call that a win.

So all of what I've written is why I am negative about this new GB. Lack of respect for the original setting and characters, lack of understanding what made it work, lack of respect for the fans of the original (and the kids they'd bring with them to see a well-done new film), cynical cashgrab mixed with an exec and a filmmaker with an agenda to push/axe to grind... Not a healthy mix.

I agree, that's certainly part of it, but there's another part just as annoying: the laziness of it.

It's one thing for A New Hope to have a lopsided Vader...they were trying something new and daring and trying to make a budget work. For what it was and where they were it was a heroic and herculean effort and a huge victory.

But when you inherit the reins of what is already one of the biggest franchises in the world, complete with a budget equal to the GDP of a small country, it's not unreasonable to expect you to bother plugging the plot holes.

As much as I really Do love TFA, it does annoy me that JJ, much like he did with Trek, seems like he couldn't give less of a crap about most of it. Fans put in more effort, not to mention the hundreds of people who spent years of their lives obsessing over a single frame, or the paint on a single set wall to make sure it was all just so...headed by someone who whose response to holes is "Ah well, it's just a movie".

As one of the people who spends his life obsessing over single frames...I find it a little offensive.

This movie has been lazy from day one. No one minds that it's a cash grab. All movies are a cash grab.

We mind that apparently that seems to be ALL it is. That you're given the opportunity of a lifetime to make something that could stand for ever and alter the culture you live in as an enduring pop culture icon and it kind of looks like you said "Ah we can bang out a script over the weekend. Make sure it's in English and there's a few dick and fart jokes in there."

It's annoying to see people approach golden opportunities with laziness. It's like watching a rich man light his cigar with a $100 because the matches were on the other side of the room and he couldn't walk it. Sure it's his money and he has every right. But when you're hungry and perfectly willing to bring him a match...it hurts to see it.

This ad campaign isn't improving.

It's funny reading the comments in one place where they are censored this and next month. if you go there, it's the only place where people are loving the fart jokes ;o)

Who are half these people? Am I that out of touch?

..GOOD. I'm doing my job.

ClF8oBkUkAAmukW.jpg

I...I dont understand. Stay Puft looks like a balloon, and are they seriously marketing this to 3rd graders or what? Even then its kind of insulting. And whats with the licking of things?

"Booyah. Emphasis on the boo". I threw up in my mouth a little after hearing that.

I...I dont understand. Stay Puft looks like a balloon, and are they seriously marketing this to 3rd graders or what? Even then its kind of insulting. And whats with the licking of things?

"Booyah. Emphasis on the boo". I threw up in my mouth a little after hearing that.

that's that brilliant paul feig humor that everyone supposedly loves and can't live without!

ugh... i wish there was a spoiler button ;o)
reading further..

Patty just kind of forces herself on the team and she doesn't even really know what the company does. 'I thought this was going to be like a book club!'
- There is no containment unit that we can see so far. the feigbusters trap the concert ghost and just bring it back to their resturaunt.
- Kevin wants to leave early to join a hide and seak tournament, where he is winning...
- Kevin can't even bother to remember the high tech name of the company

- Bill Murray's character does indeed get picked up by a concert ghost and get thrown out the window
- The police get called in, and after not believing their story, are about to arrest them when government officials come in and....take them to the mayors office for some reason?
-There is a male mayor, but he's clearly just a dumb figure head. the female aid is painted to be clearly in charge and running the city over him. for some reason the FBI has been investigating the paranormal, and after thanking the ghostbusters, wants to discredit them so as not to cause mass hysteria? the whole scene didn't make sense.
- the feigbusters deduce that rowan is behind this after patty recognizes him from a photo. somehow wig deduces that the sightings follow ley lines (despite only being told two sightings) and they follow those ley lines to 'the most haunted hotel in the city'. they then bring up the photo from the companies website and head there.
- Patty's cousin got killed in the middle of the street there, but, she doesn't care because he was 'just a dumb male'.
- another condescending male hotel clerk meets them and sends them to rowans underground apartment.
- for some reason the police arrive for no reason. and, rather than get caught with his device to amplify the paranormal, he electrocutes himself.
- The ghostbusters get arrested, the mayors aid throws some lame insults at them to the press, they get let go outside and go to 'celebrate a victory'.
- wiggs characater brings proton pack to columbia university, tries to get re instated, head guy there acts like jerk, gets her thrown out.

not one likeable guy in this whole movie. par for the course with paula feig. There are SO many groan worhty moments, bound to be worse...

As I understand he is a balloon that gets possessed ala the RGB episode "The Revenge Of Murray The Mantis".

Even that is stupid though, never saw that episode, at least I dont remember it. Man. Just when you think this movie cant get any worse...

Hey NeilT, I read all that stuff, there is no way thats true. This book that youre reading, its based on the actual film? I dont want to believe that stuff is true/accurate.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back