Dragon gets Star Wars licence

Looks like Dragon removed their Star Wars header off their Facebook page. No word if they lost the license but I suspect since the release dates are months late and the header is gone, they did lose it.
I didn't think it would make sense for both Bandai and Dragon to have the Star Wars model license in the Asian market. Bandai is doing a bang-up job!

And, now that Bandai has a legit distribution deal for the US, what did Dragon have that was unique, other than the 1/35 AT-AT? It was pretty cool, but a very tight niche within a niche market.

While I wasn't particularly impressed with the few previews of Dragon's Star Wars kits, I'll admit that this news is a little disappointing. I like competition. When one company has a monopoly on a license, it can lead to laziness and indifference about the products they offer (cough* Round 2 *cough* Star Trek *cough). Since Bandai seems to be focusing on smaller scale vehicles (fighters) and figure kits, it would be great if another company stepped up to make larger scale or capital ship kits. I'd happily buy every fighter and figure kit Bandai made and also happily buy, for example, a Dragon Blockade Runner or a Moebius Medical Frigate. Perhaps Zvezda will be that larger scale kit company. I won't even mention Revell (though their Kylo Ren Shuttle is terrific and SHOULD be a template for how they can make good Star Wars kits).

Anyone thing Dragon will ever publicly announce something about this model? Or if they have/haven't lossed the Star Wars License? The without a doubt owe the people who have been waiting at least a word on what the deal is.

I actually emailed Dragon a month ago and the response I got was that the line has been put on hold. I did not get the impression that they lost their license.

I hope they're using the time to improve on their accuracy. I'd really like to see them go forward with this, but they need to do a much better job than what we've seen.

Dragon paid a lot for that license- I do hope they use it wisely...

The prototypes we have seen had a lot of issues, which is a bit absurd considering the vast amount of reference out there.

Indeed. Some of the kits looked a bit bigger than the Bandai line, but the photos I’ve seen have been of pretty erratic and flawed designs. Kind of De Agostini level accuracy.

I appreciate the sentiment of market competition, but it kind of doesn’t matter if they’re mediocre and the market leader is generally excellent...

I think Dragon was counting on size to help sell- Bandai does fantastic work but I doubt we will ever see a 1:35 ATAT released by them.
Sadly if Dragon does produce that kit it will take a lot of work to make it look accurate

I'm ok with doing the work to get it accurate. Just look at what people have done with their MPC Falcons... It would have to be sold at a relatively good price though.

I think Dragon was counting on size to help sell- Bandai does fantastic work but I doubt we will ever see a 1:35 ATAT released by them.
Sadly if Dragon does produce that kit it will take a lot of work to make it look accurate

Disney will never sign off on it if it is not accurate, they have their reputation to think about.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back