PropShop announces TFA Props!

Savage - "It's a 95% perfectly serviceable accurate helmet!"
Host Derp - "FOR COSPLAY!!! FOR COSPLAY!!!! SUPPRESSING FIRE!!!! SERPENTINE!!! SERPENTINE!!!!!! DON'T SAY THE HASBRO TOY UNDER A HUNDRED BUCKS IS NEARLY AS GOOD AS THE $4000 REPLICA!!!!!!"
:lol

Rethinking going and getting me a BS Kylo and scrapping my Target conversion now, so I guess these things ARE good for something after all!

LOL yeah I love Adam and l love his videos but I never have understood why all the celebrities get free items when they have way a lot more disposable income than the average collector it would take me months to pay off the propshop helmet. LOL It is interesting that the black series is similar and WAY cheaper.

It's cheap advertising for the manufacturer. I'm sure the recipients agree to post a vid that will undoubtedly cast the product in a positive light. MR used to do this as well. A lot of companies do.

Yes...a Kim Kardashian has most of her very expensive stuff for free.When she walks over the red carpet with this stuff its the best promotion for the companies!And a lot cheaper as hundreds of TV-Spots!;)

Interesting on the Target helmet... hmmm.

I have been holding back on pulling the trigger on the Anavos cheaper one... at 300 with 15% off (I have a code), I'm back and forth.

Anavos are kind of taking their sweet ass time with getting their products out... and I haven't seen actually SEEN what this cheap version will look like... so haven't pulled the trigger yet.

but Adam saying the Black series cheapo one is 95% there?!?!?

I am at work and have not watched the video yet. I will do that when I get home. However that is great news and makes me happy that I found the BS helmet at target and picked one up. It makes me wonder how the light saber will compare to the Disney Store Exclusive one. This is differently interesting. I never thought back in the day that "toys" would start to get almost as accurate as the screen used props. Not that I am complaining :)

Savage - "It's a 95% perfectly serviceable accurate helmet!"
Host Derp - "FOR COSPLAY!!! FOR COSPLAY!!!! SUPPRESSING FIRE!!!! SERPENTINE!!! SERPENTINE!!!!!! DON'T SAY THE HASBRO TOY UNDER A HUNDRED BUCKS IS NEARLY AS GOOD AS THE $4000 REPLICA!!!!!!"
[emoji38]

Rethinking going and getting me a BS Kylo and scrapping my Target conversion now, so I guess these things ARE good for something after all!
I wouldn't say 95 percent... that's a tad high! I mean the whole mouth plates are moulded, not layered. but Yeh, seems the black series is pretty accurate!

I figured 95% is high (cuz I've done picture comparisons in the past)

But when someone, even in hyperbole, says 95% when sitting them next to each other (I'm sure with his paint mods)... and the price is $4000* vs $100 then you have my attention.

*shipping/exchange/duty

I figured 95% is high (cuz I've done picture comparisons in the past)

But when someone, even in hyperbole, says 95% when sitting them next to each other (I'm sure with his paint mods)... and the price is $4000* vs $100 then you have my attention.

*shipping/exchange/duty

Yeah, I think he was making that statement with regards to it being a great kit base to start from. Obviously it needs some seam work and cleanup on parts like the face that were adjusted for injection molding, but he seemed to mean the overall size/shape, proportion, and sculpt detailing are shockingly accurate to begin with.

The thing that hit me (other than now knowing that I need to hunt down a BS), is that you don't want this in a spot where direct sunlight will hit it, cause it'll start to breakdown (being as it's 3D printed). Not that I'd put it in a sunny window, but do I want to pay 2 grand for something that too much UV light will break? & that's the same with all their 3D printed items.

The thing that hit me (other than now knowing that I need to hunt down a BS), is that you don't want this in a spot where direct sunlight will hit it, cause it'll start to breakdown (being as it's 3D printed). Not that I'd put it in a sunny window, but do I want to pay 2 grand for something that too much UV light will break? & that's the same with all their 3D printed items.
Yeh, it's this a real problem?

I wouldn't say 95 percent... that's a tad high! I mean the whole mouth plates are moulded, not layered. but Yeh, seems the black series is pretty accurate!

I would say out of the box 83%...but with the right mods and paintjob it can look like 95%.;)

Saw this in the comments section on the Gizmodo article. Thought it was interesting. Don't know or have any affiliation to the commenter.

PaddyOneFive Andrew Liszewski6/01/16 10:46am
http://gizmodo.com/lucasfilm-and-disney-are-now-selling-their-own-flawless-1779818643#
Ugh. I work in the industry, and Propshop is all the rage right now because all the big big Disney (Marvel and SW) are being made at Pinewood (and they are part owner) but their stuff is garbage. We had a bunch of their 3d printed stuff here from the first Guardians film and it just crumbles apart. Ordinarily, you would 3d print ONE and mold it to cast in a more durable plastic or rubber. These guys just churn out 3d prints.
It’s advantageous from a cost/labor perspective, but the tech isn’t quite at that point to make it practical quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the part about this that bugs me. Even Adam had to point out in his video that UV light will deteriorate 3d prints. Why would you want to spend that kind of money on something so fragile that light itself can damage it? Sure, there's other casting materials that have various degrees of fragility to them, but to just knock out 3d prints "because reasons" and cheaper for them to do it, doesn't make it worth the asking prices

I know 2 of the TFA extras and they spoke about how their blasters kept falling apart and constantly needing to be fixed or replaced-he was just doing the scene w/ the Hux speech...

That's the part about this that bugs me. Even Adam had to point out in his video that UV light will deteriorate 3d prints. Why would you want to spend that kind of money on something so fragile that light itself can damage it? Sure, there's other casting materials that have various degrees of fragility to them, but to just knock out 3d prints "because reasons" and cheaper for them to do it, doesn't make it worth the asking prices

I know 2 of the TFA extras and they spoke about how their blasters kept falling apart and constantly needing to be fixed or replaced-he was just doing the scene w/ the Hux speech...
Well they do give you a nice box to look at. As long as your props in it the thing shouldn't fall apart.

So, just double checking, the graflex is fabricated metal right? It's a lot of time and effort to make those, just look at Roman's current run, but not that sort of pricetag...

There's an unboxing vid of the PropShop Graflex. It is metal and at least it has silver screws... or rivets, unlike the pics on the website. It's super low rez though. Hello, 1996 calling. We want our video camera back.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1367247686623678&id=366770240004766

He kept saying "it's made of metal...I can press the buttons.." I'm like great you described an old flash unit buddy

in all seriousness, it seems to be a nearly functional replica of a graflex, maybe minus the ability for the test lamp to work. It doesn't look like it opens either, but I'm not sure why you'd want that in a "high end collectible"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back