Another WorldCon modified Tomenosuke (Blade Runner)

dmpsk8

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Last year, I found myself really blown away by Juan's awesome work on his Tomenosuke (Thanks for the inspiration!).

It was only a matter of time until I took a whack at doing one. So, I've been working away on my WorldCon mods over the past couple weeks.

This blaster started off as a 2016 Pro Retailer. Sure looks different now...

Upgrades:
SD Steel barrel
Don's Steel cylinder
Vintage weaver knob
Weathering and finesse for days...

Also flipped the factory box inside out and gave it a vintage look.
Check out the WIP pics so far. Every time I look there's more to tweak, but it's getting close.

WorldCon_WIP_1.jpeg

WorldCon_WIP_2.jpeg

WorldCon_WIP_3.jpeg

xWIP_box.jpeg

WorldCon_WIP_1.jpeg

WorldCon_WIP_2.jpeg

WorldCon_WIP_3.jpeg

xWIP_box.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice :thumbsup

the layers of weathing really show, and the detail is sick. The box is cool nice touch too

Epic work, bud

Awesome!! Love it!!
How did you create the rust effect?

Thanks. I carefully placed actual rust on there. I used a couple products, including Novacan's black patina for zinc. I made a solution that was wet, but with reddish rust particles, then slowly placed it. Adding the pre-rusted metal "powder" was important to get the right color.

Thanks. I carefully placed actual rust on there. I used a couple products, including Novacan's black patina for zinc. I made a solution that was wet, but with reddish rust particles, then slowly placed it. Adding the pre-rusted metal "powder" was important to get the right color.

Interesting, and great result. What kind of solution with rust particles? A lacquer? Or did you add the rust particles to the Novacan?

Interesting, and great result. What kind of solution with rust particles? A lacquer? Or did you add the rust particles to the Novacan?

Novacan was like my basecoat. It makes zinc dark, and gives steel a thin burgandy layer of oxidation. It needs a few seconds to soak in and begin affecting the metal, so it takes some experimentation to get used to

For the rust specs specifically, different approach.I took an old oxidizing iron paint, which already had a bunch of rust forming in it, wet it down and applied it.

Modern masters makes some nice rusting paint kits that would give a similar effect. The key is applying very small specs and building the look slowly! Let the paste pre rust or it won't turn red enough on the surface.

Novacan was like my basecoat. It makes zinc dark, and gives steel a thin burgandy layer of oxidation. It needs a few seconds to soak in and begin affecting the metal, so it takes some experimentation to get used to

For the rust specs specifically, different approach.I took an old oxidizing iron paint, which already had a bunch of rust forming in it, wet it down and applied it.

Modern masters makes some nice rusting paint kits that would give a similar effect. The key is applying very small specs and building the look slowly! Let the paste pre rust or it won't turn red enough on the surface.

Cool! Thanks for sharing this method... I'll definitely need to look into that for my build!

Here's a quick cell phone shot of the other side. I'm hunting for some smaller white wires, mine are a little too fat.

xOtherSide.jpg

Great gun you have there:cool Paint/rust effects are very cool...and thanks for the tuto!

Thank your sir! I have to say, you're partly to blame for me getting into this hobby, haha.

Great work, I really do hate all you redonkulously gifted guys, just wish I had a fraction of your talent but I'm gonna 'ave a go anyway!
I came across The RPF and Propsummit last year in my search for the best Blade Runner blaster (or SSG Blaster as I knew it having made a resin kit of one around 1992) available but after reading thread after thread I knew I couldn't find a Tomenosuke I didn't need a mortgage to own.
I got myself a really nice (not perfect but really nice) ABS/Epoxy Resin replica last year from a guy on Etsy and I've been scouring the web until I bit the bullet and got the updated tommy a few weeks ago which is now in customs hell at the moment.
So with the imminent arrival due I've decided to have ago at weathering the abs model and I'd like some advice on how to go about doing it on abs as opposed to metal etc.

Attachments

• 20180130_195756.jpg
    20180130_195756.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 287
  • 20180130_202621.jpg
    20180130_202621.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 293
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back