Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

Nah! For a real woodworker, this will be a piece of cake. I'm a plastic surgeon and I got it done! I will pm you and get your email and send you what I have. There are a couple of places where Adam's quick drawing is tricky (oversimplified?) and I will try to point those out, but all credit goes to him because without that drawing, none of this would have been possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah! For a real woodworker, this will be a piece of cake. I'm a plastic surgeon and I got it done! I will pm you and get your email and send you what I have. There are a couple of places where Adam's quick drawing is tricky (oversimplified?) and I will try to point those out, but all credit goes to him because without that drawing, none of this would have been possible.

i would be interested in learning about the tricky parts of the build cos this is still one i want to do sometime. and having more info is always handy.

I came across this thread several years ago, and I told myself that one day I was going to make this box...and today is that day.

The only problem is that it seems most of the reference pictures, dimensions, and various other links seem to have gone missing (no longer hosted?) Can anyone still active on this thread help me out? Most importantly I am looking for the dimensions that Mr. Savage posted for his ebay won box.

I am a woodworker by trade, and I want to do the box justice by hand cutting dovetails and hand planing all of the white oak stock. This is my first real prop (other than some lightsabers etc. when I was just a kid)...so excuse my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Ahoudini and MurdocXXL, what you two have done so far looks incredible! I hope to be as far along as both of you one day, but something tells me this is a slow and dedicated road. :(

here are adam savages dimensions pics
A. Savage Broom Box Drawing 01.jpgA. Savage Broom Box Drawing 02.jpg

original concept art

Broom's Box 01.jpgBroom's Box 02.jpgBroom's Box 03.jpgBroom's Box 04.jpg

reference pics

Hellboy4-1.jpgHellboy7-1.jpgHellboy2-1.jpgHellboy5-1.jpgHellboy6-1.jpgHellboy3-1.jpgHellboy8.jpg

Madonna and Child

Giotto di Bondone - Madonna and Child.jpghellboy.jpg

interesting extras

BPRD ID Card.jpgbprdpersonellfilesheetgw0-asavage  RPF.jpghellboygroupmoviereduxs.jpgmkKQKxyBIzAJOE8s4oNKCDg.jpgnewbprdpersonellfileshefg9.jpg15633294rv0.jpgWoodcarving.jpg

Coeptus .. thanks for your comments :)

As a prof. woodworker I don't beliefe you will have big problems with the built itself. Especially if you have access to prof. cutting / woodworing tools.
The main body of the box uses simple finger-joints. So if you want to make it screen-accurate there's no need to do dovetails.
There are some issues on Adams simplified drawings, as ahoudini mentioned! But if you have a close look to the available pics or screenshots
you are able to recognize them. Just study both..before you start your built.

breen2057 thanks for the "collection" of relevant documents!

Last edited by a moderator:
Murdoch, I am not going totally screen accurate, more of a 'close enough' approach. I usually do historical reproductions so I am going to try and make it authentic to how this box might have been made in the context of the hellboy universe (ie. dovetails, dados, rebates, etc.). I have no worries for building the box, I have already sketched out a rough design and cultist, and identified some of the inconsistencies you spoke of in Adams sketches. Hopefully I can get out and get my lumber this weekend (as long as I don't get snowed in).

I think my personal challenge will be hunting down and/or creating a lot of the trinkets that go inside. I just moved to a new location, so my regular flea markets and antique stores are no longer available . But it will give me a good chance to get familiar with all the new places nearby my new house that might yield some interesting artifacts. As someone said earlier on this thread 'It's the thrill of the hunt.'

Sound very interesting Coeptus. Don't miss to take pics of your built and post them here :) Always interested in such information!

Good luck for your built and your hunt of the box-content :D

Last edited:
Great skull and Card @CaptainEO :) Congrats.... Any Chance to share your source of the skull (as you mentioned it is a casted one, maybe there are more :\ )?

By the way, got the first 3 books sewn and a leather (goat) colored. Will start a seperate thead about the books very soon ;)
Hi MurdocXXL ,
These are small monkey skulls... I purchased a similar casted one in Etsy some months ago for my personal curiosities collection ... there are shops like : http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_family.php?id=33 where they sold museum quality resin casts of this monkey species (I dont know exactly which one is the Broom´s one) , you could try at Etsy too : https://www.etsy.com/listing/218851...resin&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
Mine was purchased to NightshadeFX : https://www.facebook.com/Nightshade...3597633356041/573308692718264/?type=3&theater
Hope it helps!

i dont like it.........................well all the good things to say have been said so im being rebellious :lol but seriously amazing build

great piece! could you show us a picture from the rear side of the monkey skull ? is it complete or cut off?

Very cool! Looking forward to hearing any new info you might be able to scrounge up!

Here's something I have not shown before. I was able to acquire these screen-used pieces a while back:

http://i.imgur.com/SQZ7QVo.jpg

And it looks like this skull may be the same as seen here:
http://i.imgur.com/97xSk3s.jpg

While mine is not this exact prop (note the rope and beads), I do believe they came from the same mold, since my skull is resin and not a real skull.

I had to cut a good bit off the back of mine (a real skull; do you think I wore a dust mask????) as the cubby hole is way too shallow for a monkey skull as large as the one in the screen grab.

Very cool! Looking forward to hearing any new info you might be able to scrounge up!

Here's something I have not shown before. I was able to acquire these screen-used pieces a while back:

http://i.imgur.com/SQZ7QVo.jpg

While mine is not this exact prop (note the rope and beads), I do believe they came from the same mold, since my skull is resin and not a real skull.

CaptainEO.. would it be possible for you to post a side-few pic of your skull? Wondering how it looks and if the original/casted skull had been cut off to fit in the box.
Would be great...thanks in advance!

@CaptainEO.. would it be possible for you to post a side-few pic of your skull? Wondering how it looks and if the original/casted skull had been cut off to fit in the box.
Would be great...thanks in advance!

Yes, the back is cut off a bit. Sadly, I am in the process of moving so everything is packed up. As soon as he gets unpacked, I'll take a pic!

sorry for the delay everyone. I have no excuses to offer. Just photos of the original books from Brooms box with a ruler.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back