Before I begin my AHN build, is my graflex vintage?

JRHunter13

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I've got a folmer graflex with patent number and smooth pins, but I can't tell if the lower tube section is a replica or vintage. Usually the stamped lettering seems deeper and the roll more extreme. It's confusing me because the distress, weather, and the grain of the metal all match the top half perfectly. The inside even has wear denoting that it has had lots of batteries popped in and out and shows a lot of wear. Why would somebody go through all of that trouble weathering the inside but then totally ignore the stamp face? Maybe it is really vintage and at some point somebody polished the cap up really well? Any way, if you guys could shine some light on this situation before I begin my build it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, the rivet that holds the bunny ears on seems to have been replaced by a screw at some point. I'm aware that means it's "fake", but the internals are all there. Seems to me to be replaced. You be the judge.

Attachments

• IMG_6764.JPG
    IMG_6764.JPG
    943.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6766.JPG
    IMG_6766.JPG
    856.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_6770.JPG
    IMG_6770.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_6771.JPG
    IMG_6771.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_6774.JPG
    IMG_6774.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_6776.JPG
    IMG_6776.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 929
  • IMG_6778.JPG
    IMG_6778.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_6779.JPG
    IMG_6779.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6781.JPG
    IMG_6781.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6782.JPG
    IMG_6782.JPG
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 227
Hi, this seems like a legit vintage one for me but I guess mor expert people will give their point of view. just the rivet on the bunny ear that got replaced by a screw but this could happen I guess. :)

Hi, this seems like a legit vintage one for me but I guess mor expert people will give their point of view. just the rivet on the bunny ear that got replaced by a screw but this could happen I guess. :)

Yeah, I'm leaning towards it being a real vintage but I've been pouring through pages and pages of graflex info here on the rpf and it's got me tearing my hair out! That's when I decided I needed to post some pictures of my own and get some feedback. Thank you very much for your opinion! I'll be interested to see what others have to say as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bunny ear pin appears to be a screw and not a round head rivet. The Parks V1 used a screw like this. I don't remember if it had smooth pins or not.

How accurate are the parks V1 internals? Is it static or built for electronics installs? This came with a real little light bulb under the glass eye and spring. Everything else I can see matches up with real vintage pictures I've seen except the screw and the suspicious end cap.

But I am aware that the parks has a screw.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

one thing to screams vintage to me is the square bottom on this pin under the button.

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

to rule out the parks, does the parks have a functional slide switch? i thought romans replica was the first to introduce a sliding slide switch

as for the screw in the bunny ears, i wonder if the rivet broke over the years and someone just inserted a screw?

The original Parks were identical to a real Graflex internally. They work exactly as a real camera flash, including a working test lamp slide switch. I don't remember if he included a test lamp bulb or not, but the internals were identical including a battery spring.

The first run Parks had the square base pins under the red button as well as in the cord ports. From the second run on, the cord ports had hex base pins but under the red button it was still square base pins.

one thing to screams vintage to me is the square bottom on this pin under the button.

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=741816&d=1499455469

- - - Updated - - -

to rule out the parks, does the parks have a functional slide switch? i thought romans replica was the first to introduce a sliding slide switch

as for the screw in the bunny ears, i wonder if the rivet broke over the years and someone just inserted a screw?

I can recognize a parks aesthetically, but am not sure of the functionality.

I'm guessing that you'd be correct about the screw. Looks like the rivet broke long ago and somebody had to get creative to make it work.

The main reason I photographed the pins under the button was to show that they were square. Not hexagonal.

Again, this is my first real vintage. I've done a heap of research but I'm no expert by a long shot. Just a beginner on his journey. That's why I'm here asking for help.

The original Parks were identical to a real Graflex internally. They work exactly as a real camera flash, including a working test lamp slide switch. I don't remember if he included a test lamp bulb or not, but the internals were identical including a battery spring.

The first run Parks had the square base pins under the red button as well as in the cord ports. From the second run on, the cord ports had hex base pins but under the red button it was still square base pins.

So there is even a possibility that the top half is a replica as well? Wow. What distinguishing features are even left to check?

thanks for clearing this up james i never knew that! :thumbsup

So how can I come to a consensus? What can I do to either prove its authenticity, or debunk it? I can provide more pictures if necessary. Thank you to everyone who has posted with their insight. It's really helpful.

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=741816&d=1499455469

- - - Updated - - -

This graflex definitely has a functioning slide switch. Slides up and down. Maybe this information will help me narrow the answer down. Thanks for the help!

It's a genuine G R A F L E X ... and yes the bunny ears pin has been replaced at one point during it's use as a flashgun ... or perhaps even after when someone attempted to start an fx version yet stopped when realised he could get a pretty penny more unaltered as a vintage lightsaber. It's the apparent sharpness of the red button edges and glass eye which certainly makes me confident enough to call it a real G R A F L E X flashgun :)

Chaïm

It's a genuine G R A F L E X ... and yes the bunny ears pin has been replaced at one point during it's use as a flashgun ... or perhaps even after when someone attempted to start an fx version yet stopped when realised he could get a pretty penny more unaltered as a vintage lightsaber. It's the apparent sharpness of the red button edges and glass eye which certainly makes me confident enough to call it a real G R A F L E X flashgun :)

Chaïm

That is music to my ears! Thank you for the reply, it means a lot. I know that you have a lot of experience with flash guns. Pretty sure I've read a lot of threads you were involved in. I appreciate your expertise and your reply very much. I'm still here listening to what others have to say. Now the question is who to go with for the grips, d-ring, and bubble strip. Wannawanga? I'm on the hunt for an exactra 20 but might not find one for a while.

Wannawanga is the go-to shop for an ANH conversion indeed check out his free blueprints ... and besides an Exactra 20, you can try Exactra 19 as well as a TI-2000 which was made in Italy :)

Chaïm

Yeah, definitely vintage. With a screw replacement for the bunny ears.

You believe all parts to be vintage? I trust your judgment but was mostly worried about the stamp on the bottom half. It seemed less pronounced to me compared to others I've seen on the rpf. And so clean...

Red button and glasseye are easy replaceable.

Having some of them in stash, also bunny ears with rivets - vintage stuff. Combined with some other stored parts they could easily be used to "upgrade" any of replicas in a way it´s hard to say if they are vintage or replica.

Especially on pics. I wouldn´t wonder if this has be done already to fake vintage graflexes for selling them for more. Today i wouldn´t trust any offer anymore.

Wannawanga is the go-to shop for an ANH conversion indeed check out his free blueprints ... and besides an Exactra 20, you can try Exactra 19 as well as a TI-2000 which was made in Italy :)

Chaïm

Thanks for the info on the calculators! I didn't know that there were others that had the same bubble strip. I'm definitely going with wannawanga for the rest of the parts.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back