Screen Accuracy and Star Wars

I feel if I am going to take the time to build a prop, then I would like to make it look as close as possible to the reference photos and the original. Not just star wars, but any prop as far as that goes.

Besides, it's pretty cool. Lol

I'm not a hard-core collector though I am looking for good reference shots so that when I repaint my Hasbro Rogue One Stormtrooper it looks good and I know that I did it rather than just buying some piece of plastic and dumping it on a shelf... So I guess it's about justifying the money I spend on toys ;)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

the point of idealized props or production replicas is a nice thing. I am clearly a member of the idealized group because already as a child I was absolutely fascinated of the stormtrooper armor and there was a certain image of a stormtooper helmet and what it would look like, also from the inside, in my head. I have to say, I never saw me as an hardcore star wars fan. I love science fiction movies and my favorite is 2001, because it is so scientific. but star wars can take you really some kind of out of reality and thats nice from time to time. and the design of the armor and the spaceships are really beautiful. so when I was getting access to a foundry one day, I had the chance to realize an idea. when I saw episode 3 I really liked the design of the clone trooper and had to realize all were cgi, but I wanted to have a "real" one at home. a piece of hardware and when I saw the gree helmet I thought: I could cast one in aluminum. just out of the universe and it should look funktional also in the inside, but not the disappointing way the interior looked in the compendium. so uncomfortable! I always thought of a motorcycle helmet like interior with some screens and stuff inside. for me it is great to have something out of the movie, connected to a certain scene. and such a collectible is always a catalyst for conversation.

[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/alienbuilder/IMG_0456%20Kopie_zps8bdcal8f.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/alienbuilder/IMG_0422%20Kopie_zpsaxmyn7yi.jpg[/URL]
Dude that is amazing!! Do you have any more pictures?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Been thinking about this and I realized that with Cosplay Star Wars is more important to get right for me than others, and it's at least partly because insanity is a little contagious.

Example: I put my Han Solo costume together at the same time as I put together my Farscape Crichton costume. With Crichton, I did try to be as accurate as I could with the reference available, but also I didn't go crazy. The holster is strapped on rather then sewn on, and I just didn't even use the belt bag since I was going to be wearing the coat. The belt buckle is pretty good, but I don't think it's 100%. Also the hooks on the vest aren't 100% accurate. No one has ever noticed, or if they did they didn't say anything. No one cares.

Probably no one cares about Han Solo accuracy either at a con, but because I'd spent some time here, at 501, and Rebel Legion forums, it irked me to think that I had inaccuracies, or that I wouldn't pass Rebel Legion approval if I tried. I never did try, but I'm certain it would pass easily, because seeing others stress the details somehow made me stress the details. At this point, I'd say my Solo outfit is as accurate as anyone's. It doesn't help that I'm a little self conscious about cosplay: most of the people I hang around in RL DONT cosplay, so when I go to cons I'm kind of stepping into a different world without a lot of backup. It helps if I think I did a decent job on the costume, and since groups like 501 exist showing that others will notice and care about details, I end up caring more about the details than I otherwise might.

If that makes sense. I guess the tl;dr is: we'd care anyway, but the fact that others also care, can tend to make us care more than we otherwise might.

I strive for my props and costumes to be as screen accurate as possible. The only major exception to that rule is where durability is concerned. I will sacrifice some accuracy if the structural integrity or usability of an item will be enhanced by foregoing 100% authenticity. I spend a lot of time and money on my things so that they can be worn/ used and I make them to last.

I believe that as amazing as these look on display, costumes and props are made to be worn/ handled.

Yeah, there's a whole spectrum of "idealized" as well. I tend to lean towards LOOKING accurate, but I prefer idealized materials: if they used plastic but it was meant to look like metal, I prefer metal.
Yes!
It's nice to see things I've thought spelled out by other people too. I will bolt things together over glueing them any day - and its fun to get creative on how to hide the attachments.

I actually just made a muppet blaster (ESB Stunt) thats most famously seen in the swamp on dagobah and in PropStore's collection. I used a metal training cast pistol + hand cut bracket from right angle stock instead of a resin body and mount. it feels amazing to hold, seeing as its metal like it was sort-of supposed to be...but it's still a non-functioning stunt, like Mark would have held!

muppet1.jpgmuppet2.jpg

Nice blaster! I'm very specific about materials for props and costumes too. For fabrics I try to use all natural fibers. Synthetics just don't breathe well and I try to use metal if a prop is metal, vs resin or 3D printed items. If I can't make a piece out of the material I prefer, I typically won't make it at all or if it's a piece I need to commission / purchase outright from someone, it has to be made of certain materials. I'm very OCD about that kind of thing. I also prefer functioning props as opposed to static props.

On the topic of stormtrooper helmets - I read in the making of star wars book that an extra in the stormtrooper armour fell and the side of his head hit the ground - the bolts that attach the ear pieces to the face/cap parts (and then overshoot into the helmet interior) pierced into his head and gave him a nasty injury. After reading that I deaccurised my RS helmet by cutting the bolts flush with the helmet interior :lol

It's about an inch of steel right by your temples!

Screen accuracy is important too when you don't want to have to remake something 50 times. Which is a mistake I used to make early in my crafting days.

Regarding weathering on Stormie helmets for example I was never a fan of the chipped buckets. I appreciate the hard work in making them look like that, but I'd never want one in my collection.

Interesting thought, as I know everyone's mileage varies. Heck mine varies from prop to prop.

I would love an HDPE Stormtrooper helmet, but don't necessarily want it chipped either. That may be in part to seeing some Trooper helmets in collections that just seem overly chipped. I might be different if I could get one that wasn't overly chipped out; and I do want all the warts, warpage and weirdness that can be seen on the originals. So in the Stormtroopers case, maybe I'm partly idealized. If I can't get a good RS HDPE, then an RS ABS will be plenty good enough. so maybe I'm half-and-half. :lol

But when it comes to ANH Darth Vader - it can't be beat up enough. The Tantive IV Vader helmet was a total wreck - and I just drink up all that detail in the movie as well as the prop.

To me, an ANH Vader Helmet just isn't Vader without all that juicy detail: paint drips, brush strokes, nicks, scars ;), dust, and grime. I've always been a fan of the ESB Vader - been my favorite for as long as I can remember. But I can't take my eyes off the all the detail of my ANH Vader. It's easily my favorite of the three helmets now.

31989274791_c5e492bf54_o.jpg

So now, when it comes to Boba Fett - I'm much the same way as Vader for me. Beat up, chipped, and battle worn. Just like in the movie. I don't see to many people wanting an idealized Boba Fett without the dent and non-chipped paintwork. :)

Last edited:
the ANH Vader helmet is great. I think its got much of an old bronze sculpture with the patina crisping, or someone already tried to repair or repaint it. its interesting because you can just see its got a "real" history. on the other hand, when it comes to stormtrooper helmets, I like the feeling, that it might comes directly out of an imperial factory. shiny and perfect...

the boba fett issue is not really about to have an helmet that is looking new, for the minor group that likes it idealized though, I would say. but for me, just as for the clone helmets, I wanted a real metal helmet. not a prop, but something I could throw around and don't have to be afraid to break something. so all the scratches could be partial real, not painted. in fact, I think the boba fett helmet is one of the most anticipating helmets and its awesome how exact some people here are replicating the original paintjob. just stunning!

I think that Star Wars captured are hearts (both as adults and kids) and still does. sStar Wars wasn't another space movie but had meaning, intention, and real-world feelings behind it all. I would figure that those of us who were snagged by Star Wars were deeply effected by it in our own ways, again either as a child or an adult, and try to perfectly replicate what made us do what we do now. Make Movie Props!

Interesting thought, as I know everyone's mileage varies. Heck mine varies from prop to prop.

I would love an HDPE Stormtrooper helmet, but don't necessarily want it chipped either. That may be in part to seeing some Trooper helmets in collections that just seem overly chipped. I might be different if I could get one that wasn't overly chipped out; and I do want all the warts, warpage and weirdness that can be seen on the originals. So in the Stormtroopers case, maybe I'm partly idealized. If I can't get a good RS HDPE, then an RS ABS will be plenty good enough. so maybe I'm half-and-half. [emoji38]

But when it comes to ANH Darth Vader - it can't be beat up enough. The Tantive IV Vader helmet was a total wreck - and I just drink up all that detail in the movie as well as the prop.

To me, an ANH Vader Helmet just isn't Vader without all that juicy detail: paint drips, brush strokes, nicks, scars ;), dust, and grime. I've always been a fan of the ESB Vader - been my favorite for as long as I can remember. But I can't take my eyes off the all the detail of my ANH Vader. It's easily my favorite of the three helmets now.

View attachment 695671

So now, when it comes to Boba Fett - I'm much the same way as Vader for me. Beat up, chipped, and battle worn. Just like in the movie. I don't see to many people wanting an idealized Boba Fett without the dent and non-chipped paintwork. :)
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't a non-dented, clean paint job, Fett bucket just a Mandalorian helmet?

Sent by the Tapatalk Ferrets

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back