Worst Costumes and Props

Nope. I'm not here to rain on anybody's parade. I stay away from the SW boards, and therefore there is no conflict. I was simply stating my position.

I can't agree. I thought that an excellent job was done conveying her look as an Empress. The outfits have a cohesive look to them which is reminiscent of a Chinese empress. I've always loved Queen Amidala's wardrobe. :thumbsup

I'm not saying they have done a bad job, I'm just saying that it's a bit too much for my eyes xD!

Centauri's non-human appearance aside, it was the helmet and neck seal from The Last Starfighter that springs to mind. It looked like an old tyre or something?

Plus Grig's costume/face reminds me of Magdala from Something about Mary :)

Grig.jpg

Last edited:
ANH_Screencap_01.jpg

Really? You get that droids passed through this part of the desert by holding up a cylindrical piece of metal and nothing else? A piece of metal I might add that way back on the 80's when I was a teenager, I recognized as being the part that holds a ball-bearing ring for the crankshaft of the average bicycle? Really?

There's a found prop for ya, lol.

Has anyone mentioned the Flash Gordon movie from the 80's? What blows my mind about that film is how terrible the costumes are... while the SETS ARE MINDBLOWING! Why?! How?! WTF?

Has anyone mentioned the Flash Gordon movie from the 80's? What blows my mind about that film is how terrible the costumes are... while the SETS ARE MINDBLOWING! Why?! How?! WTF?

Yep...
002828_17.jpg

As for the sets, have a look at the Aboria sequence and the huge paper cut out leaves.

As for the sets, have a look at the Aboria sequence and the huge paper cut out leaves.

Lol! Timothy Dalton meets Peter Pan meets Errol Flynn's Robin Hood :-/
You're right. Not all of the sets are that great. I last saw this movie about two years ago at a midnight showing at a local theater.
I realize the props were meant to look like pieces from the original serial, or a campy nod to that look, but that often didn't work out too well. The "Rocket Cycle" was hilarious!
It's when I look at ming's palace and some other interior sets that I stop laughing and say, "Damn, that's actually gorgeous."

Take a look at the original Alex Raymond strips, the costumes were copies of his designs in the strip.

David.

Tusken raider using slug throwers (technically they are mentioned as a sort of coil gun, or rail gun) is due to their being 'primitive savage desert dwellers' determined to drive the settlers off their territories. They need simple devices they can repair themselves that don't require imported tech or spun gas from the mines on cloud city. Melt down a metal slug that can be hurled out of the barrel by a simple force that can be made with simple tech.

Which is sort of why many star wars weapons are what they are, and firefly weapons too. A metal barrel based off of any number of already existing devices. As prop makers some people get used to the idea of making something look unique and amazing (like a lot of fantasy knives tend to be made) but if the things have to actually function...

Sturdy, tried and true, solid and not over engineered. I can't tell you the number of times I was tinkering with something and used a five part mechanism that broke half the time, and I'd add more parts to lessen stresses and distribute loads, and in the end a simple bucket or crow bar was a simpler and more elegant solution. It makes some tool nuts cringe but honest to foodness the flat head screwdriver is one of the most damn useful tools Because of it's elagant simplicity. I think the screwdrivers ability to jimmy a door undo fasterners of many types, chisel, scratch a message into most surfaces, stab, even solder in a pinch is part of why the Doctors tool is a sonic screwdriver and not a sonic multi-tool/leatherman. So for making dependable weapons it just makes sense that they would me made as modification of dependable weapons.

as for the Queens outfits in the prequels, I'm not a huge fan of the elaborate costuming of it, but it's not because it's unrealistic. It's completely realistic: View attachment 419807
and more besides. They are of mongolian style for upper class and wealthy women.

I have to agree with the headless lady bic razor as a com device in episode one however, that was kinda lazy. I mean the design of the razor could lend itself to a part of an actual working device nicely as a form factor it's an example of great design. But seriously mod it more than a new paint job.

and I can't really fault the old serial sci-fi costumes and props that did on a dishwashers budget a show or series that brought up a generation of people so in love with sci-fi that they turned around and invented some of the things from those cardboard sets and tinfoil robot serials.

but for a prop that is just silly in my mind I'm going to have to go with the triple bladed rocket sword from The sword and the Sorcerer (1982).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back