Solo's Greedo Killer (modified DL-44) - Finished Blaster

Andymac84

Sr Member
Finished. If u want to follow the built just scroll down the thread. Click on pics to view them larger.

Hi. As the title says, my built is going to be a modified DL-44, the infamous Greedo Killer of Han Solo. The following phrase and my sub-passion to wild-west outlaws was inspiring myself to do this:
An awfully cool hero paired with an awfully cool gun. Plus the fact that in Star Wars lore--specifically the 1979 book trilogy The Han Solo Adventures--Solo is explained to have illegally modified his blaster for a faster draw definitely speaks to the maker mentality. It’s not just any BlasTech DL-44 fans are replicating--it’s Han Solo’s, which carries along with it a mythical weight and illustrious history.
And in terms of its original construction, Han Solo’s blaster from Episode IV is actually one of the more storied props of Star Wars.

Scottjua was helping me out to get the scope mount and a authentic M3 Grease Gun Flash Suppressor, which is currently on their way. Meanwhile I was ordering a Heat Sink from the limited run of Corellian Exports:

Also I was able to find a close enough alternate for the Compac Super Scope 2 1/2X:

I've done some modifications to get the look right. I'll post some progress pics in the next reply.

Last edited:
Re: Solo's Greedo Killer (modified DL-44) - My ongoing project

I've cutted of the large front bell of my found japanese OHTA Rifle Scope:

It was a very cheap scope for about 30$ but I still hated it to destroy the functionality... I had to change something...

So I've found a small vintage magnifying glass...

...which I've putted apart:

The inner tube with the small lense at the end went into the tube of the scope:

You probably wouldn't believe it...neither am I...but the lenses working together again and the funtionality was surprisingly given!! Yeah!! :)
Meanwhile I'm waiting for my Denix Mauser to come in and also the scope mount plus the authentic Flash Hider. Fingers crossed for an update the upcoming week.

Last edited:

I am looking forward to seeing more. If you are looking for more accurate Weaver scope rings, do know that they were made in different heights and there are some that are too low or too high.

After making the Luke DL44, I'm starting to think about making a Han ANH.

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the progress.

I thought I had to pick up another mounting shells, but then I've seen this picture:
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091210012721/starwars/images/f/f4/DL-44_tech_drawing.jpg
Do u think I could use mine to get that look? I think they would be fine, besides the wrong adjusting screws on the side of mine..
Yeah, there are two variations of the Greedo Killer, that one you link to is shown in promo pics. You can see that one of the rings is in front of the knobs and not even on the scope rail.
In the movie, the scope rings are different: The scope rings have a sheet metal band that only hooks onto the right side with two bolts on the left side, and both scope rings are on the rail.

If I'm not finding the correct ones I might be doing a mixed up version. Don't know how to move on. Ebay is not everytime a good help in finding correct things..
I wonder why the front ring isn't on the rail.......:/

I can see why you sourced a M3 flash suppressor- perfect match based on the photo you're following.

Looking forward to your progress.

Nice work so far! I have a special place in my heart for the Greedo Killer since it was my first blaster build.

Also good find on the scope, and awesome the new front lens works!

I keep forgetting how long shipping takes to get over there... hope the package arrives soon.

I guess blasters are in season now ... opposed to lightsabers ... anyhoo looking forward to your work in progress :)

Chaim

I can see why you sourced a M3 flash suppressor- perfect match based on the photo you're following.
Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks a lot for following my thread. Yes, the M3 flash is such a good looking real world part I definately had to get:)

Nice work so far! I have a special place in my heart for the Greedo Killer since it was my first blaster build.
Also good find on the scope, and awesome the new front lens works!
I keep forgetting how long shipping takes to get over there... hope the package arrives soon.

It will be my first built, too.:) I still enjoy the work on it. Even if it's still a long way to go.
Shipping is always mixed up, sometimes they came in between 1-2 weeks. And sometimes they need about a month to reach their destination. I have no worries about it:)

I guess blasters are in season now ... opposed to lightsabers ... anyhoo looking forward to your work in progress :)
Chaim

That's true. A lot of blasters where built at the moment. I'm not that into yet but I really like the lore behind the blasters, too. How they've changed from movie to movie, on what basis they were built, mysterious greeblies,:)...

My Mauser arrived at friday:)
It is a nice and heavy piece. The wooden grips are great. Luckily the "made in spain" and "denix" stamping is standing out of the body. So I can easily remove it by dremel drilling. I'm also remove the metal loop at the handles bottom.

It is also stamped with BKA 221, should this also be removed or is it part of the serial-nr.?

Last edited:

The BKA mark is something required on non-functional firearm replicas if they'll be sold in Germany, and wasn't on the real thing, so that needs to go too. I'm working on a Greedo Killer as well, though I've put it on the back burner for now. My thread for it is here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/dl-44-greedo-killer-questions-build-log-196662/. I look forwards to seeing your progress on yours.

What's the Heat Sink you have made out of? And do you mind me asking how much it was? I've been a bit stumped on how to make the heat sink for mine, since it seems a bit complicated for someone with no experience to machine at home, though I'm planning to not use any plastic or resin parts for my build, so I don't have a ton of options.

The BKA mark is something required on non-functional firearm replicas if they'll be sold in Germany, and wasn't on the real thing, so that needs to go too. I'm working on a Greedo Killer as well, though I've put it on the back burner for now. My thread for it is here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/dl-44-greedo-killer-questions-build-log-196662/. I look forwards to seeing your progress on yours.

What's the Heat Sink you have made out of? And do you mind me asking how much it was? I've been a bit stumped on how to make the heat sink for mine, since it seems a bit complicated for someone with no experience to machine at home, though I'm planning to not use any plastic or resin parts for my build, so I don't have a ton of options.

Thanks for clearing that out. The heat sink is from Corellian exports on ebay. They also have a website, too. The heat sink is a great machined piece, but not cheap at all. Have u completed your scope mount yet?

Still waiting for mine to receive. It'll came in with the flash hider. I also won an auction for scope mount rings. ScottJua was again so kind to help me in getting the correct parts.:thumbsup

Last edited:

Some work was done today. I've sanded down the stamping inscriptions with a dremel tool. Then I've disassembled the gun and prepared it for coating it again.

The final result was very good:

Today was a good day. The authentic M3 Grease Gun Flash Suppressor and the accurate scope mount were ready to pick up.

Todays work will be the black coating of the whole mount rail.:thumbsup

Parts look nice. Are you painting the scope mount or using chemicals to weather it?

Definitely looks nice so far. Are you planning on redoing the finish on the Denix as well? :thumbsup (I also find it kinda humorous that Solo stated that he illegally modified his blaster to make it easier to draw, fire, and etc, when in the movie the Greedo Killer was so hard to draw from its holster that it had to have its flash suppresser removed to film the Cantina scene. That always makes me chuckle.) :D Keep us updated with more pics!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back