DL-44 Greedo Killer questions and build log

SigsegV

Hi, I'm a fairly new member, and I'm working on my first serious prop build, a DL-44 Greedo Killer. I'm planing on making as much of it as possible out of aluminum, which might be tricky since I've never done any metal working or machining before, but I have access to some good tools.

For the base I'll use a Denix Mauser C96:
IMG_20131003_162149_033.jpg
I had planned to use a cheap Airsoft gun, but all of the ones I found were too cheap and flimsy feeling, so I decided to just go all the way and build the best I could with my budget and skills.

For the scope I picked up a Weaver scope on eBay that looks similar(ish) to the Compac scope from the original prop:
IMG_20131003_162345_172.jpg
I decided I'd much rather have a real scope that looks a little off than something that looks right but is made of plastic or resin. Someday I hope to find a Compac scope to replace it with, but I'm pretty happy with this one for now.

The scope mount I plan to make out of aluminum. I've drawn up plans in SketchUp for it which I'll put here if anyone wants them:
mount.png
View attachment mount.zip
It should be possible to convert them to a format that can be 3D-printed, if anyone wants to give it a try. I'm not 100% sure about the size of the screw holes or the thickness of the middle plate, but that's about as close as I can get it.

I've been working on a 3D model for the grill, but I'm a little unsure of it. I had an old CPU heatsink I was going to use, but on closer inspection I don't think it will work after all. I'd like to try to machine a grill out of aluminum but that might end up being a bit beyond my skill level. I guess I'll have to give it a go and see.

I'll be buying the scope mounting rings and maybe also the flash hider, if I can get it cheap. I want to try to keep this on a budget of $150 or so, and I'm already getting darn close to that, so I might end up making a flash hider out of a cut-up funnel for now and replacing it with the proper piece when I can afford to.

That's all I have so far, I'll post more as I make progress, but for now I've got some questions to ask:

Does anyone know the thickness of the middle mounting plate? or the dimensions of the front grill? Those would both help me out a ton.

The sight on my Denix is really floppy and loose, and the hammer is crooked--the top of it leans to the right--how would I fix those?

And other advice or input you could give me would be fantastic, thanks.

Update:

I picked up the correct flash hider on gunbroker.com and I should be getting it in soon. I'll have to make an adapter to fit it on the end of the barrel, I'll probably use PVC for that.

I've managed to work out the dimensions pretty well except for the grill. Any details for the dimensions on that, especially fin thickness and distance apart, would be a huge help.

I should be able to start cutting pieces for the scope mount this week, and hopefully have some progress pictures soon.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back