Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

I'm impressed by what I can see of that shared stunt, good work. Would you mind sharing a pic of the whole saber? I'm not familiar with ropey, but I do like the interpretation of the pommel on his replica.
On a seperate note I finally got over my fear of drilling in to lightsabers & decided to try & drill the various holes in to my ropey aluminium Shared Stunt

just used my trusty little hand drill & did it slowly, even managed to ghetto tap a set screw, gives me some confidence that I'll be able to add any extra holes to the new run V2 :lol

...and slothfurnace & roygilsing , ace work guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
@roygilsing great work. That's it.
Now that this is done ;P ... will you do a rendering of the weathered V2 as highres wallpaper as download on wannawanga? I'm allready using your other renderings as wallpaper ;)

@slothfurnace
What do you think will the difference in pricing be of the soldered and soldered (approx.)?

@slothfurnace
What do you think will the difference in pricing be of the soldered and soldered (approx.)?

Not sure yet, but once I figure that out, I'll post.

Ok, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit to you my detailed analysis of the clampcard:

slothfurnace_clampcard_05.gif

I "deperspectived" the original image, and for each element of the card layout, compared it down to the pixel, and shifted it a thousandth or two at a time till I got to this point.

I believe the first four thin traces are in line with each other.
The thin traces at #6 and #7 are slightly higher
The thin traces at #8 and #9 are even higher, their centerpoints are in line with the top edges of #1 through #4.
The thin trace at #10 is a little higher than that, and slightly angled up.
The thin trace at #11 does in fact have a small via terminator, in line with the traces at #8 and #9 and it is angled up slightly
The thin trace at #12 is in line with the traces at #1 through #4

I've adjusted the width of the thin traces down to .024, which fit better once I had my image overlay set up.

Given the agreed upon width of the entire card of 0.6 inches, 0.4 inches is visible. I've illustrated this in the image above by overlaying white bars at 0.1 inch at top and bottom to show where the clamp ears fit over the card.

The tops of the wide traces are a smidge higher than centerline of the visible area.

The thin trace breakover angles and arcs have been adjusted to more match the image

I still am unsure about the little shape on the top left corner under the ear. I can approximate this with a shape, since I would imagine it could just be a hand drawn groundplane, which I can draw in, but wanted to know what you guys thought.

The other side of the board will never be visible, unless you are shining a light through it. The other side of the original board most likely has traces on it. Therefore, I will be laying out the ESB Luke layout on the other side, so that one board can be used for either saber. This is good for me, and good for my customers, if someone has an issue with it, I am open to hear it, but I believe it will be best.

When I get these made, I'd like to have an idea how many to make in the first batch. I have another forum interested in a group buy, at around 30 pieces, if that seems about right for this forum, I will order 60 pieces. The tooling costs and initial setup and gold plating I will cover, so no deposit needs to be made.

There will be two versions, you will pick standard, with no soldering by me, or deluxe, with silver soldering by me on ONE SIDE. ROTJJ Deluxe, or ESB Deluxe.
If you want silver solder on both sides, we can do that too, I guess, but the thing I need you folks to understand is, the silver soldering is an intensive and nerve wracking process that I have to do perfect the first time every time, every trace, otherwise I ruin the card. That's why there's a price difference.

Pricing to follow once the design is done, I know how much gold plating and soldering time will be, etc.

Thank you guys for the opportunity and trust to deliver this part. It's a fun challenge.

@slothfurnace - A truer scholar and a noble has yet existed. I think the design is perfect for what can be done with the resources that are given; let's run with this.

However, 60 cards won't be enough. 60 sabers are already booked for machining for Starkiller's run with, maybe 30, more people on a stand-by list for a second possible run. We're looking at maybe at 120 cards, here: 30 to satiate the other forum, 60 for the people on the active run, and maybe 30 more for those on stand-by/back-up stock.

Also, count me in for one of your RotJ Deluxe cards:D. Seeing how clean your last traces were on the Russ run, I know I'll just do a slop job if I try it.

I think so too. With starkillers run there were 40 sold I believe. Plus the "hundreds" of people on the waiting list... and others like myself just wanting to make my existing V2 as accurate as possible. make moar than 60.

Yeah, I'd certainly be interested in a ROTJ and ESB deluxe (2 cards, in other words). I'd personally prefer these cards be one sided, but totally understand the practicality of them being two sided...

I dont think 60 boards will be enough. I know I am going to want 2 boards and 2 levers from these runs for my new v2 build and to get my MKVI V2 more accurate as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back