Yet another Krylon paint question

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If I paint something with regular Krylon, and it's still sticky days later, will painting it with Krylon Fusion force it to cure, or at least encapsulate it so it isn't attracting every bit of dust in the universe?

If you over-paint the problem, aren't you just covering up a failed paint job? I think the problem will eventually resurface.
Do you think the stickiness of the Krylon is due to moisture, temperature or paint quality? Whenever I get that happening I try and place the object in a warmer environment.

TazMan2000

To be honest, I think it was the material the item is made out of, it's was a semi rubbery plastic....I should have used the Fusion paint, but I didn't have the right color and I didn't want to go out an buy another can. I had the right color, but it was just regular Krylon. The KF would have probably gone on just fine AND dried without a problem.

Unfortunately if you have a vinyl or nylon base and you've used enamels there's nothing to do but strip and repaint. I've even had it where I primed with a compatible primer and then did enamels and it was fine for a YEAR and then the chemicals leached through and gumified the top layer. It's kinda like Sharpie-- somehow, someday it WILL eventually migrate through the paint.

-Rog

I don't know how perfect the piece needs to be, but usually if it's something I'm going to weather I used baby powder and rub over the surface of the sticky paint and it takes away the tackiness. I do this if things aren't drying like you described. Or if it's something I'm going to weather and want to get it done in a hurry.

Unfortunately if you have a vinyl or nylon base and you've used enamels there's nothing to do but strip and repaint. I've even had it where I primed with a compatible primer and then did enamels and it was fine for a YEAR and then the chemicals leached through and gumified the top layer. It's kinda like Sharpie-- somehow, someday it WILL eventually migrate through the paint.

-Rog

This exactly! Remember the 12" Hasbro line of Star Wars characters? Remember those rubbery, vinyl heads? I tried to spray paint a Tusken Raider head. It was still tacky 2 years later!

Looks like I'll have to strip it down. What's the name of that stuff people use? It's called Super Green, or Super Purple...something like that?

I'm thinking it's as Mike said, Purple Power, but will Castrol Super Clean work as well? Is that an auto product?

They're all basically the same thing; a solution of sodium hydroxide, same as oven cleaner and Drano as well.

-Rog

Just wanted to update this subject. I went out and bought a bottle of Purple Power and gave that a try. I placed the item in a plastic bowl and sprayed it heavily and let it sit. I came back a few hours later and hit it again and let it sit for another few hours. I then washed off the part and let it dry overnight. Before this I did try to scrape off the paint to no avail....BUT....once the item was dry, the paint was no longer sticky. So...it didn't seem to do well with removing the paint, but it did eliminate the stickiness which is what counts.

Purple power / super clean don't work that fast. You'll have to let the piece sit in the
cleaner submerged for a few days. Scrub off the loose paint and if needed, repeat until all the
paint residue is removed.

Ahhh, I see. Well, my main problem was the paint being tacky, which is why I wanted to remove it. But the tackiness is gone, so problem solved. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back