Yet another HIC...

thire

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Howdy! Just wanted to post some WIP of my HIC build...I'd like to start by thanking all the HIC builders who've been generous to share through posts & pms their experiences...I could not have gotten to this point without you, thanks! I have the good fortune to have a couple great friends in the hobby who have lent their talents and time to assist me (Tom & Adam) - what follows is my attempt at a HIC.

I believe it was our friend in AZ who said that he wasn't going to kill himself going for screen accuracy but what he liked look wise...I've taken a page from his book - in more ways than one (glue technique for carbonite). This is a King Jawa Han (thanks Ian), with volvo panels (thanks Glenn) , Modeljag electronics for the hero panel (thanks again) and Vos has provided the grill (thanks, it arrived).

I've also gone the Gentle Giant route with doing the thrusters and vents/slats on the top and bottom...we cut out the top and the bottom where the vents/slats will go and plan to attach the part using rare earth magnets so if you want or need to gain access to the top or bottom you can. This HIC is actually going to be my desk so it will be under glass when it's all said and done. Met Mark Hall (owner of the Tom Spina desk) last year at CV and just really fell in love with the idea after having volunteered in the World Vision (awesome charity) booth with Tom and Adam.

Here's where things stand tonight - plan to post more pix of the panels later this week.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes, another great HIC build thread...I can never get enough of these! (bizarrely that sounds sarcastic, but it isn't meant to! Sorry! :$)

Congrats on making a great start to it... it's taking shape very nicely indeed - great work on the MDF frame.
And further kudos on being creative with making your HIC into a practical everyday desk, rather than a straightforward prop replica :thumbsup

I'll be watching this thread with great interest :)

Cheers,
John
john@manicminer.plus.com

Oh yes, another great HIC build thread...I can never get enough of these! (bizarrely that sounds sarcastic, but it isn't meant to! Sorry! :$)

Congrats on making a great start to it... it's taking shape very nicely indeed - great work on the MDF frame.
And further kudos on being creative with making your HIC into a practical everyday desk, rather than a straightforward prop replica :thumbsup

I'll be watching this thread with great interest :)

Cheers,
John
john@manicminer.plus.com

Thanks for the encouragement - challenge with using it as a desk is the glass solution where it makes a minimal impact to the look of the prop when the time comes for it to be displayed as just a prop. The desk had eight (8) pillars screwed into the box top that then had the glass resting on them...most obvious way to go but when you take the pillars off you have the holes to contend with... Leaning in the direction of affixing the pillars to the glass and then using a small buffer (made of material to minimize leaving impression marks on the box top)...getting mixed info on how thick the glass needs to be - 1/2" to 3/4", 30" x 80" equals heavy :confused If anyone has ideas please pass them along :thumbsup

Great work. I'm about to start mine, can you tell me what the depth is or thickness of the frame that is around the HIC center panel. I can't tell if it is 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch or something smaller.

Great work. I'm about to start mine, can you tell me what the depth is or thickness of the frame that is around the HIC center panel. I can't tell if it is 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch or something smaller.

Pre-carbonite it is 3/4" (which means it's truly closer to 5/8")...most, not all, HIC are built to be flush - I actually preferred the slight recess. Keep in mind that there's near three gallons of Elmer's that fills up the space - I guesstimate it at 3/16" :cool

I used the same thickness for everything (box...see build pix above). Best of luck to you in your build, feel free to shoot me other questions

Thanks for your reply, again great work. My figure in carbonite is made from silicone. It looks like your might be as well. If so, is it fairly easy to paint with regular paint. I'm apprehensive on painting mine bcause i'm not sure if the paint will eat away at the silicone. Anyways, hope you can help answer this question. Continued success on your awesome build.

Thanks again DS - no, my Han parts were a slush cast resin back filled with expanding foam...don't know what to tell you re the silicone but understand the hesitation...hopefully someone will ring in here (or other HIC threads) with some advice.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back