Yet ANOTHER double-U forty kay Spaise Merreen Build...

SaberFreak

Sr Member
So I decided to try my hand at making a W40K Space Marine costume.

Don't know which chapter or which character yet, and probably won't decide until waaaay into the build. May even do a custom character.

So far I only have the shoulder part to show for it.

_DSC0008.JPG_DSC0013.JPG_DSC0015.JPG_DSC0016.JPG

The shoulders are resined and puttied and being sanded.

Now I tackle the legs. Instead of going the pep route I thought I'd try a faster method which had served me well for my previous builds.

I made the inner structure of the shin using two plastic buckets.
_DSC0217.JPG_DSC0220.JPG_DSC0227.JPG_DSC0234.JPG

I join them together to get the right height.
wd2b7sbc.jpg

Same treatment for the thigh part.
vdc4ta6l.jpg

And then finished the outside with mounting board (thigh on the left, shin on the right).
0l021axr.jpghtclia7n.jpg

How is it going? I am starting construction on my Grey Knight... I like what you did with using the bucket. Very clever.

How is it going? I am starting construction on my Grey Knight... I like what you did with using the bucket. Very clever.
Pretty good actually. Did quite a lot more work since but haven't had the time to sort through the WIP pics yet.

The bucket idea didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. After putting on the thigh and shin to take some pics, I realised I didn't like the shape. So I'm starting over again and making new shins & thigh pieces from foam. But instead of using the shin & thigh from one pep model, I'm gonna use pieces from 3 different models to get the desired look. I can foresee much 'fun' in my future :lol

Pretty good actually. Did quite a lot more work since but haven't had the time to sort through the WIP pics yet.

The bucket idea didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. After putting on the thigh and shin to take some pics, I realised I didn't like the shape. So I'm starting over again and making new shins & thigh pieces from foam. But instead of using the shin & thigh from one pep model, I'm gonna use pieces from 3 different models to get the desired look. I can foresee much 'fun' in my future :lol

I'll bet there'll be a lot of foam scraps in your future, that's for sure! When I built my Ren fair armor, I went through a lot of foam sheets, didn't really pay too much attention to saving space. Now, with the Space Marine looming, I'm going to have to be a lot more careful.

I work in a hospital and I see a lot of things I can use as props for the suit. Little caps, tubing, all sorts of things. Can't wait until I can really get going.

Which model did you use for your build?

Thanks!

I'll bet there'll be a lot of foam scraps in your future, that's for sure!
Foam is not cheap where I am, so I'll be very very careful to waste as little as possible. I'll also be joining up bigger pieces to use for areas that's not visible, like inner supporting and reinforcing pieces.

My shin will be made from a termie model and the thigh is from a standard SM model that most people out there use. A friend who's good with 3D model software will be helping me make changes to the files to take most of the guess work out of sizing the files.

I'm a bigger guy, so I just chose the full costume and am running with it. I need to slow down a bit and think about what direction I want to go.

Color is implied depending on the chapter you join, but I've always believed in freedom of expression. I used a black undercoat and rubbed on a silver spraypaint which created an awesome weathered armor effect on my RenFair armor and am kind of wondering how that will look in the final stages. That fits with the Grey Knight color template. Of course, I have a long way to go before I can even THINK about painting.

My deadline is March of next year when I attend shutocon here in Lansing MI.

This is how I save foam. Since the shoulder will need 3 layers to achieve the desired thickness, and the middle layer will be hidden, I construct it using mostly scrap pieces of foam.

In case anyone's wondering why it's so colourful, it's because choices are very limited when it comes to the type of foam available. 12mm foam only comes in packs of 4 colours, and 10mm foam comes in white(smooth side & wood grain(rough side) combination.

June 16th 2013.JPG

And here's the outer shoulder base structure completed.

Oct 14th 2013.jpg

Started with the inner shoulder guard, using the outer shoudler guard to determine it's exact size as it'll need to fit nicely inside the outer shoulder guard.

Innder Shoulder Guard 01.jpg

And also started on the boot base.

Boot Base 01.jpg

Still plodding along...

Foam block mold 02b.jpgSupport Structure 01.jpg
Tried making stilts using expanding foam...

Screws - Too Damn High.jpg
But while the foam block is light, the hardware I used to secure it is too heavy.

Collar.jpg
Started on the collar part of the torso as well.

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread...

I've been building on and off since the last update but it's been slow going due to life getting in the way. But it's time to put this baby to bed.

Let's start with an update on the torso.

Torso Jan 3rd - s.jpg

Also decided to revamp the stilt and go with the pvc route.

New stilts 02s.jpg
Using the base I previously made, I attached brackets to it to hold the stilt.

PVC stilt-base bracket.jpg
I don't have the luxury of 3D printing the brackets so I made them from connectors.

New stilts 04s.jpg

The stilts are screwed onto the brackets for ease of removal.

Boot cover & left foor detal.jpg
Boot cover and detail for front of left boot.

Thigh loops 01.jpg
Started making the loops to go around top & bottom of the thigh piece but not easy getting it just right.

1st attempt too small.

Thigh loops 02.jpg
2nd attempt, too big...

Thigh loops 03.jpg
3rd attempt.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back