XRobots *Extending AND Retracting* LIGHTSABER mechanical prototype demo

XRobots

I've built a very crude prototype of a Lightsaber hilt/blade which extends and retracts mechanically. I'm planning a full build series with a 3D printed hilt, lights and sounds, and full mechanical details. This one was built from random items I happened to have so the plan is that it'll go slightly faster also once I rebuild the mechanics.

Video only for now. More to follow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: *Extending AND Retracting* LIGHTSABER mechanical prototype demo

this is very interesting, keep us informed

I've built a very crude prototype of a Lightsaber hilt/blade which extends and retracts mechanically. I'm planning a full build series with a 3D printed hilt, lights and sounds, and full mechanical details. This one was built from random items I happened to have so the plan is that it'll go slightly faster also once I rebuild the mechanics.

Have you thought about making the extending function spring loaded. It may help simplify the mechanism. I would also make the blade more of a small oval shape in an effort to make the final design more screen accurate.

Cool stuff, interested to see more as this goes along!

That's pretty slick...Nice work...:thumbsup

Very neat! If you can rig this up with LEDs and sounds like the Master Replicas sabers you could make a fortune selling them. I know I'd want to buy one. :D

Here's the update on how this works, and some other stuff which I'll make a separate thread for in due course:

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back