Alleged Prototype Darth Maul Lightsaber 1999

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I bumped into an auction on a website I'd never seen before, I can't remember it, but they did have some ILM things

This apparently is a Prototype double ended lightsaber from 1999. Does anyone recognize it? Is this new? Is this bull ****? Lets discuss!
%22Prototype%221.png
%22Prototype%222.png
%22Prototype%223.png
%22Prototype%224.png
%22Prototype%225.png
%22Prototype%226.png
%22Prototype%227.jpeg
%22Prototype%228.png
%22Prototype%229.png

It definitely has elements of what would become Maul's hilt, specifically the emitters. but that's easy to do retroactively.
it looks very plain and simplistic, and doesn't seem to follow much of the design philosophy used for Prequel hilts

The only descriptions on the auction, which was full of ILM shop tools, lighting and rigging equipment, etc. was that it was used for pre-production design.
"Prototype Double Sided Lightsaber Model used for Pre-Production Design (Created in 1999)

• Designed before “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” was released"
That's.. it lol

Who knows, but I would say BS. The first Maul saber was much shorter and then Ray Park requested they make it longer to facilitate using it like a staff weapon in martial arts. So if the original Maul saber that we know was made for TPM was shorter, the "prototype" for this one should be shorter. I can't find a pic. I thought I had one and then I can't even find it on Google.

Haha it does. Weirdly, the only way this would make sense... is if this was part of those odd-looking prototypes we've seen from another auction and the "final" version was shorter. Only then to be lengthened by Ray Park's request.

I don't buy it, but this is a lot of effort for very little reward lol

To me this looks like someone in the early 2000s tried to replicate the Maul TPM lightsaber using junk and hardware store parts based on photos from the ‘Star Wars Insider’ and toys. I find it hard to believe that any professional movie production designer or actual professional prop maker would have produced such an amateurish and low quality item.

To me this looks like someone in the early 2000s tried to replicate the Maul TPM lightsaber using junk and hardware store parts based on photos from the ‘Star Wars Insider’ and toys. I find it hard to believe that any professional movie production designer or actual professional prop maker would have produced such an amateurish and low quality item.

Occam's razor

Here's a picture from the Prequel Chronicles book showing the proto-Maul lightsaber. It was made to be the same size as Exar Kun's double bladed lightsaber from the EU, which was the same size as a regular hilt. Sorry for the quality, I used my iPod, which was the easiest way to take a pic, and it's seven years old... So THIS is the prototype.

darthmaulprototype.JPG

Yeah there's zero chance they went from "almost exactly the same as the finished prop but shorter" to "almost nothing like the finished prop but similar length" than end up with what we got

Who knows, but I would say BS. The first Maul saber was much shorter and then Ray Park requested they make it longer to facilitate using it like a staff weapon in martial arts. So if the original Maul saber that we know was made for TPM was shorter, the "prototype" for this one should be shorter. I can't find a pic. I thought I had one and then I can't even find it on Google.
Well it released in may 1999 so why would you need a protype after filming was complete?

Well it released in may 1999 so why would you need a protype after filming was complete?
I never even considered the date the auction claims. Shooting started and ended in 1997 with 2 years of post-production.
I also checked the auction page personally and it's not even ILM themselves, its from a company called 32Ten Studios, and claims that pre-production was in 1999.

Literally everything about this screams fake

Last edited:
Folks, nowhere in the listing does it allege it is a prototype DARTH MAUL lightsaber used for pre-production of TPM. It isn’t “********” or a “fake” because it isn’t trying to be that. It is just saying it was made up before TPM was released, perhaps to indicate it was an independent creative idea rather than a copy of the idea from the film, I don’t really know.

And as for it “not being ILM” running the auction, sure it’s not the current entity know as ILM, but 32ten Studios was the former home of ILM located in San Rafael, California. Again, nothing to get up in arms about!

I never even considered the date the auction claims. Shooting started and ended in 1997 with 2 years of post-production.
I also checked the auction page personally and it's not even ILM themselves, its from a company called 32Ten Studios, and claims that pre-production was in 1999.

Literally everything about this screams fake

It’s a fade to black for historic Marin County movie studios known for ‘Star Wars’

The link above has more information but basically, 32Ten Studios is actually an offshoot of ILM. It recently shut down due to a multitude of factors and auctioned basically everything in the building. So as was said above, it may not necessarily be a Darth Maul prototype saber but coming from 32Ten Studios it is more likely to be legitimate Star Wars history.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back