xl97's Iron Man motorized face plate tutorial

Hi xl97,

I have a another issue. Everytime when I power the whole thing on (before push the button), one of the servo will start moving. (Although it is moving to the right direction and angle) After that when I push the button the other servo will move to the right position and the first servo which has moved already will remain its position. After that every time when I push the button everything works fine. However, once I power off the whole and power on again, same thing happened again.

Could you help me out?

Thanks

I know this is a thread for the faceplate, but has anyone tackled the repulsors and possible the best sensors to activate and such. I assume it would require more than a simple on, off switch. At least to get it to look more realistic. Anyway... I guess I'm just looking if someone has a repulsor tutorial and not just ones for sale. Thanks.

I know this is a thread for the faceplate, but has anyone tackled the repulsors and possible the best sensors to activate and such. I assume it would require more than a simple on, off switch. At least to get it to look more realistic. Anyway... I guess I'm just looking if someone has a repulsor tutorial and not just ones for sale. Thanks.

I used an ADXL335 accelerometer to trigger my hand repulsors;

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=198634&page=3

The code I used was a bodged together mess based on a muscle sensor instructable. I did try the muscle sensors first, but found a simple lift of my hand far more reliable.

I've just redone the repulsor electronics, and will be redoing the code from scratch.

Last edited:
I used an ADXL335 accelerometer to trigger my hand repulsors;

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=198634&page=3

The code I used was a bodged together mess based on a muscle sensor instructable. I did try the muscle sensors first, but found a simple lift of my hand far more reliable.

I've just redone the repulsor electronics, and will be redoing the code from scratch.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Has anyone used 123D Circuits online simulator? I just started to tinker with it, so I'm not sure how comprehensive it is. Might be a good alternate to building the system and accidentally frying something when still messing with the setup.
Quick edit: After playing around a bit, it does give warnings and show faults in the system in terms of regulating the voltage. Good collection of parts too.

Last edited:
hello, it's always nice to read this thread.
I have a question, or request exactly.
all the schematics are made for Arduino Uno. since I don't have any experience with this stuff, I just bought a Nano (to fit in my helmet).
anyone have schematics like this below for arduino Nano (for the third version of the code) ? thanks
IronMan_circuitLayout_xl97.jpg

IMG_7107.JPG
it looks like this, in my nano, there are A&D (followed with numbers)
just figured it out, after I downloaded the Nano and Uno manuals.
thanks for the quick response, I'll make it work later :D

hi-

Yes I know what a nano is.. :)

and they should be the same pinout wise.. no chganges needed.

(same for a pro-mini)

however I do not know if that is a +5v Nano or a +3.3v Nano? (although if you follow the diagram, it shouldnt matter)

you can.. but why?

Is there a reason behind it?

If you do.. just make sure to connect all GND's together..

IMHO.. 1 x 7.4v li-ion battery pack would be fine for everything..

i don't know, I just ask my friend who plays robotics and stuff like this. she said, perhaps the power of a small battery pack won't be enough to power it all.
but if you say so, I'm gonna follow your schematic. since I don't have any experience on things like this :D
thanks btw, for answering my stupid questions, lol

Its all good.

but without knowing details.. these are general statements. (take it for what its worth)

for example: 'what small battery pack' is she referring to? You have not given us any specs on any battery packs. ;)

Hi there,

i just wired everything. If i push the button the servo moves but my leds are always on.
Any Suggestion?

Thanks

----- I was able to find my error------ thanks

Last edited:
Damn it's working :lol you don't know how I love to push that switch. Thanks a lot.
I used the third code, but there's a problem
1st push, power up faceplate closed, no movement, lights on
2nd push, faceplate opened, lights off
3rd push, faceplate closed, lights on
the problem is, after I push the switch, the servos gone crazy, and just rotate up and down about 30-45 degree for 3-4 seconds and stop. what's wrong with that?

IMG_8059.JPG
Faceplate closed

IMG_8060.JPG
Faceplate opened

messy wiring, yes.

video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see too much.. but make sure all ground wires are connected.. servo/arduino/battery pack..

I'm not sure what '3rd' code is.. you'd have to link to it.. (its been a long and varied thread) :)

Last edited:
I cant see too much.. but make sure all ground wires are connected.. servo/arduino/battery pack..

I'm not sure what '3rd' code is.. you'd have to link to it.. (its been a long and varied thread) :)

I also have a separate thread posted here where I broke out only my diagram and matching code to simplify things.

first, like you said, I checked and rechecked the ground wiring. I solve my "crazy servos" problem

second, 3rd code, I mean third version of your code in the first page :)

third, it all worked nicely :D I used a 5V portable powerbank (just for a test, I think I'm gonna look for a 7,4V battery pack when it's loaded with the faceplate)

thanks again sir, this thing's amazing :D

here's the test vid

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back