X-WING/Y-WING/TIE HELMET COMPILATION -an accounting of all screen-matched helmets

GINO

Sr Member
I had posted this X-Wing/Y-Wing helmet compilation awhile ago in an effort to categorize and account for as many of the screen used anh helmets used on screen during the original trilogy as possible.

Every different helmet shown on screen in the three OT films are accounted for in this comp.
Any helmet designated as 'red' was an X-Wing pilot, while the ones designated as 'gold' were Y-Wing pilots.

If there is anything new to add to this chart, please feel free to post and I'll add it.
Also if there are better/clearer pics I'll swap them out as well.

xwing_helmets_compilation.jpg

Last edited:
Re: X-WING/Y-WING HELMET COMPILATION -an accounting of all screen-matched helmets

Here's a TIE helmet compilation as well:

tie_helmet_compilation.jpg

Many thanks for sharing the cool pictures,Gino!
I had a question about the visor.In some scenes they are down in another are up.Are they all in static position or can they move up and down?

I remember these. Nice to have them all in one place and more "finalised".

A very helpful and neat reference for ALL of the pilot configurations! :)

A different kind of thread than Steve made, but a very nice counterpart.

Really prob need to make a sticky of both of these or even cobine the first post in each? Would be THE pilot helmet thread! ;)

John D. you mean John Dykstra? :p
nope :)

Star Wars Revised Fourth Draft Screenplay" dated March 15, 1976:

JOHN D
Blue Four standing by.​
and then later in the script we find this...
181. INT. JOHN D's STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING
CU. John D, a young pilot with a scar across one eye, adjusts his targeting device.
JOHN D
I'm on one! I've got one!​
182. EXT. SPACE AROUND THE DEATH STAR
Full Shot. A tie ship races by camera followed by John D.
183. INT. JOHN D's STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING
POV. shot over John D's shoulder. The tie ship attempts to outmaneuver the young rebel, to no avail. John D closes on the Imperial craft as it skims the surface.
184. INT. JOHN D's STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING
CU. John D reaches up and pulls the trigger of his laser cannon.
185. EXT. JOHN D's STARSHIP - TRAVELING
POV. Gunsite. The ship is blown to oblivion and spirals down toward the Death Star.
186. INT. JOHN D's STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING
CU. John D. A gleeful expression crosses his face at his good shooting.
BLUE LEADER
Good shooting, Blue Six...
watch it, you've got one on your tail.​
John D's smile instantly disappears from his face as he looks around, but can't see the ship behind him. His ship shudders as a laserbolt explodes nearby, creating flak out the cockpit window.
187. EXT. SPACE AROUND THE DEATH STAR
Full Shot. John D's x wing races past camera, closely chased by an Imperial tie ship firing both guns.
188. INT. JOHN D's STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING
CU. John D. The inside of the cockpit explodes as John D is hit.
JOHN D
I'm hit! I'm hit!​
189. EXT. SPACE AROUND THE DEATH STAR
Full Shot. John D's X wing explodes in a fiery ball, parts flying in all directions.

:):p

@jay
:lol
that dusty old script still says blue instead of red ;)

@superjedi
Nice screen shot!
Were you able to determine what the name of that pilot was in that scene?

@superjedi
Nice screen shot!

It's not clear. From what I have read, that scene is suppose to depict the death of Red 10 but as we all know, it is clearly not Red 10's helmet. So fans have speculated that it might be Red 12 who fans have given the call sign of Drifter. To further complicate matters, the actor (red 12?)who is wearing this different helmet is seen in the ceremony scene. Some fans believe that this means Red 12 survived because of this appearance but it conflicts with what our eyes see happen on screen. Although I think we can just really just chalk it up to that he is an extra and no one is suppose to notice.

If this was unclear, read: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Theron_Nett

@superjedi
Nice screen shot!

No. I have a number of screen shots that a member here provided a few years ago (can't remember who) and I think they're in chronological order per the film. This one is right after the one that's labeled "hero Red 10" in your big grid.
Without popping the blu-ray in, I have no idea whether he's ever identified.

EDIT:
Very interesting indeed. I just watched the trench run, and this pilot is apparently an editing error. :lol
When Red 10 says "I can't hold them," there's a quick shot of a TIE blasting him, and in the cockpit close up, it's the Janson helmet that is seen. It's extremely quick.

Last edited:
@jay
:lol
that dusty old script still says blue instead of red ;)
That's the point, man! :lol

(FYI there was no shooting script in which the pilots were "red". It was a running change during production. Any script that says Red was altered afterward to match the movie.)

It shows that "John D." was an intended character name intentionally put into an early shooting script, and the name is not the result of a misinterpretation of the photo of the X-Wing model that is so labeled. Say he was named after Dykstra if you want, but it was in the script before that model was made. (And Dykstra didn't make models anyhow, he was running the shop and trying to get the motion control rig working.)

So, it's an intended name of a pilot, not a retcon.

Okay, but is it red helmet guy?

John D is scripted as saying "I'm hit", and red helmet guy does so in the movie, (during circumstances matching the script), but okay, that's a pretty generic line. Let's look further.

The credits list Red 4/John D as played by Jack Klaff.

Here's red helmet guy (pic stolen from superjedi):
Red9.jpg

Here's Jack Klaff in a Space: 1999 episode a year or so earlier:
attachment.php

Here he is a few years later in For Your Eyes Only:

attachment.php

Same guy.

To sum up:

-Red 4/John D. is an authentic SW pilot name, put in the script before anything was even shot.
-The name survives to the credits.
-the credited actor looks just like Red Helmet Guy.

ergo, Red Helmet Guy is Red 4/John D.

(he also played the "other Wedge", but that's a different discussion!)

The character of Red 4 has come to be known as John D Branon. I am not sure where where the "Branon" came from (I think it was the Empire at War PC game) but it has been further aknowledged as such for his action figure. I would assume (assume being the key word here) that LFL has the green/red flag on okaying such things.

Wait. After all these years someone DOESN'T know about John D? I assumed everyone knew. He's even listed in the credits. You guys are kidding around, right? SILLY! :D

Since I'm doing this Red 4 (9, 7, 11, 3792837?) helmet for my collection, I was searching for reference and came across this photo:

Red4JohnDcropped.jpg

It seems that there are some Rebel logo decals painted over on the forehead panels.
Maybe this pilot helmet began as a "standard" version and was customized during pre-production.

I assumed the use of the helmet that became Wes Jansen's was from the totally cut Red 4 scenes (or was it Red 11 or 12?). Considering the name of the pilot in the red helmet that got vaped early on was never spoken on screen, they could have just said he was "John D" in the credits. But, I suppose calling him "Red 4" works.

The Blast Shield helmet (with orange visor) was used in Rebel Assault 2 I believe (worn by a male pilot). I believe it was the original and not a replica. I've never seen that female pilot wearing it in ROTJ before (is it something from SE or Blue Ray?).

Gold Leader's helmet also popped up in the Hoth crowd briefing scene (I think you can see it just to the left of the ground trooper down low). I've heard it credited as Hobbie's helmet (used by the guy who says "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?")

Now one continuity gaffe I have never heard answered involves Luke's helmet. We see him land his X-Wing at Cloud City, but he got away on the Falcon. Yet in ROTJ he has his helmet back. How the HECK did that happen? Did R2 have a secret compartment, or is R2 secretly a member of the RPF and used his scans of the helmet to replicate a dead on 1 to 1 copy (using his color sprayer from TPM)? :D

Last edited:
The Blast Shield helmet (with orange visor) was used in Rebel Assault 2 I believe (worn by a male pilot). I believe it was the original and not a replica. I've never seen that female pilot wearing it in ROTJ before (is it something from SE or Blue Ray?).

Gold Leader's helmet also popped up in the Hoth crowd briefing scene (I think you can see it just to the left of the ground trooper down low). I've heard it credited as Hobbie's helmet (used by the guy who says "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?")

Everybody's helmet except Pops' and Biggs' shows up on Hoth including Luke's training helmet Garven Dreis in ESB? - Page 2

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back