X-Wing Madness. Flying at last!

Guy Cowen

Sr Member
First I'd like to say "WOW" to the other guy's building their X-wing's, Lee, Jason, Julian & everyone else, you guy's are just mentalists & totally blow me away. This V3 has really brought out the best (& worst) in people. I tip my massive hat to you guy's. I would never even begin to know where to start with the level of knowledge you blokes have about these prop's & there construction.

It seems every man & his dog are building V3's at the mo so I thought what the heck why not do mine? Its been just over a year since I painted my first X-wing (& SS model). I think its about time to re visit this beauty & put all the stuff I've learnt into practice. I am tweaking it here and there but this is basically just ment to be a nice X-wing, no more no less. I have nothing to share other than how & why.

I've decided its to be RED 3, & hope I can do the original SS beast proud. I dont have much time as my work will take me away from home for nearly 12 months from September, so its time to get cracking. I've already ballsed the hull up by taking too much off when sanding the 2 halves, hey ho :unsure. The look I want to achieve with this X is a cross between the prop how it looks now & a slight idealized (on screen) version. I'm just using the stock V3 kit & styrene sheet, no donor parts.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

All the little styrene bits are done by eye, I haven't worked out the actual size of each piece but just gone with the basic look. No measurements were calculated just cut n glue, cut n glue...........

Last edited:
Re: X-Wing Madness. Not here, just boring old fun!

Hey Guy,

Looking good so far, and knowing your talent for painting, it will be kick ass !

I'm glad you're doing Red 3 ! It is not very often done.

Thanks mate, no doubt it will be a scruffy build but if its too clean it detracts from the the way the prop looks now. Its the SS version I'm doing not the big 4 footer, if anyone has tackled it before it would be great if they could throw some pics up here, I don't think I've seen an SS Red 3 on the boards this is one of the reasons I've decided to do it. I will do my best as always on the painting, I've been thinking about a few different ways to pull this off, I just hope it all comes together?????

Excellent! RED 3!!!

Which are you doing? The large scale ROTJ version, or the smaller SS ANH version?

Hi Guy,

I am looking forward to seeing this build. Your ATST and probe droid were brilliant so hopefully you can top those beauties :)

No pressure :lol

Good luck

Cheers Chris

Np pressure Chris, I'll remember that :). Started the cockpit tonight as this will need to be in before the 2 halves are joined. Its ment to be very old looking instead of an uber clean detailed version.

I may be a bit daft but can someone confirm which way round the wing mount are ment to be? I think I know but would love a confirmation?
IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Its not as blue to the eye I've upped the contrast to show the detail a bit better.

Np pressure Chris, I'll remember that :). Started the cockpit tonight as this will need to be in before the 2 halves are joined. Its ment to be very old looking instead of an uber clean detailed version.

I may be a bit daft but can someone confirm which way round the wing mount are ment to be? I think I know but would love a confirmation?

Its not as blue to the eye I've upped the contrast to show the detail a bit better.

Here is a pic of how they get mounted inside the fuselage, i mentioned it in a couple of other threads but if you are putting this togethter before i can finish the instructions one of the things that needs to get done on bottom fuselages that DO NOT have the # II scratched on the inside is to trim the sidewall where the fuselage meets the wing mounting block by about 1mm on the STB side, it not a big deal if you don't and only takes a few seconds to do, but it will match the height of the port side a bit better...on fuselages marked with the II you don't need to worry about that...
mike

raptor578.jpg

Thanks Mike, I'm glad I was right as its assembled as of this afternoon. I sussed the wings out as well I think? Its all good, just got to fill & sand a few area's & then its time to get painting.

A quick update, I'm motoring through this as fast as I can, so it may be a bit scruffy in places but it is coming along nicely as well.

I had to add a plate of styrene to the nose cone & re shape it as it was way to deep for the body after I'd joined the 2 halves.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Also some major adjustments the the side plates that cover the mounting holes

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

A quick coat of under coat to check out the new plating to the area under the thrusters

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

& all the new holes drilled into the butt plate, Also the center gree bee has been modded to resemble the one on the SS ANH Red 3 X-wing. I did want to make a hole new back plate with the tiny holes in tit but had to mod the one that comes with the kit.
IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

My task for tomorrow is to get the black then white coats on & hopefully start with the air brush on the main color *(grey) .

Been at it very hard today, almost 12 hours:eek, my girlfriends given up on any kind of conversion the past few days:redface. I've spent most of this time mixing colors & pulling my hair out, I just cant get that GREEN.

Anyway here's where I'm up to tonight
IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

As always just quick shots with Flash, this does over enf the colors.

Last edited:

Lookin' Great! :thumbsup

IMG_0132.jpg

You're missing the Sherman "toilet seat cover" looking thing that the Harrow piece attaches to (seen here from the underside):
cover.jpg

Thanks Jay, its not on the ref pics that I have of the ANH SS red 3 its different to the usual toilet seat style.

Oh, I see. I've seen ref pics where the plug was missing altogether, but never where there was a Harrow part but no Sherman part. Interesting!

Oh, I see. I've seen ref pics where the plug was missing altogether, but never where there was a Harrow part but no Sherman part. Interesting!

Um, Red 3 had the Sherman turret part - it's right there in the original Art of Star Wars pic. I think you want it.

Edit: PS - bloody nice looking build so far!

She's looking killer Guy, the paint seems to be going well, and i think the green is close TBH bud, not a million miles off at all!
You dont need the Sherman piece either Guy, not for this bird.

lee

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back