X-Wing Madness. Flying at last!

Re: X-Wing Madness. Not here, just boring old fun!

THIS is BEAUTIFUL WORK Guy!

OUTSTANDING my friend! Please sir.... may we have some more?!
icon_biggrin.gif

The hybrid sounds fantastic. There is no mistaking this beastie as being any other bird than RED 3!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

BTW... Thank you for the kind words my friend!
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, thanks for posting these kurt, I never knew Rich had done a Red 3 for you, its just stunning. I cant stop looking at all the pics, he's really nailed the aged look of the prop. It makes it so much nicer when you can see other work as good as Rich's, I don't feel like I'm flying blind now.

Regarding the added panel below, I'm not telling you:lol

Its not going on my build, as I to deem it to be a repair that was necessary for ILM but not for a replica. Artistic license will be going there instead. There a few area's where bits have fallen off & left a unique unpainted area, I'm adding that piece back in, so its not going to be 100% accurate to what she looks like now, more of a hybrid of before & after?

Got some more, just for you Kurt.

I did happen to do my usual & really balls things up today. I started more panelling on the wings, all went well then "blam" The wrong yellow, with loads of overspray, and really glossy in stead of matt, & it ran everywhere cos it was to thin....... AHHHHHHHH. Lots of precious time wasted on re-spraying & blah blah blah. As always this is not a finished article but certainly a good example of how the engine will look?

IMG_0026.jpg

To get this far on the engine took some doing, its basically a grey coat on top of the white rattle can (not Gloss), then the green area was masked off as with the Blue front & back parts, these were both done with the airbrush. The blue is the same as the cockpit all mixed from various blue's & grey/white. All these area's had some kind of latex masking applied although not that they will show through that much when its done. The nightmare yellow area was last. This went on way to Lemon color & really badly. I waited 10 mins for it to dry a bit then added brown pastel to darken it. Not good, it went really messy and the pastel clumped up. I had to gently flat sand the yellow stripe without harming the surrounding area. I added a new coat of the same mix but with a few blobs of orange to get to the color you see now. I should have used yellow pastel instead of the airbrush for this but I'm an inpatient so & so. Some of the weird things i've used on this weathering are cigarette ash, coffee & pastel mixed with my own spit. If it works then why not. The blue area's have been bashed with loads of brown pastel as on the prop these area's look darker than the surrounding grey but with the blue alone they were too light, I think its worked great. I still need to dust coat & a deck tan/brown mist but that can wait for now. The yellow stripe was touched up with white/grey pastel then a light airbrushing with the original grey color. Id say its about 75% finished.

Last edited:

Its really doing my head in not being able to do more this week. I'm suffering from X-wing cold turkey.

Its really doing my head in not being able to do more this week. I'm suffering from X-wing cold turkey.

Guy, it's looking great so far. The weathering really sells the mix of colours well!

Cheers,
Martyn

I hate you Guy, even when you say you've goofed something up.........it still looks fantastic!!!! :)

Dave

Thanks guy's your kind words are always appreciated.

Dave, trust me if you had seen what it looked like before I re did it, you would have been embarresed for me, I nearly cried. I did rescue it but its a bit more scruffy than I planned.

Julien, if I can keep getting the same results on the rest of the bird then i will be pretty chuffed mate. I do tend to fluke a lot though so fingers crossed.
I just got back from London for a day so hope to do more tomorrow.

Well managed to do some more on the wings today. Its getting really tough now, its testing everything I know. I'm still in the middle of it all so I'll jst add the pics for now. I hope they're looking OK.

IMG_00041.jpg

IMG_00031.jpg

IMG_00051.jpg

IMG_00011.jpg

IMG_00061.jpg

Just a quick note, if there is an obvious overspray like the red on the wing or some blue then it is ment to be there. The red overspray on the wing is a red/pink pastel not paint so its not really overspray but replica overspray... so to speak!

Last edited:

Thanks chaps, Finished for the night, you may recognize my test palette in the background??? Answers on a post card please?

IMG_00071.jpg

IMG_00081.jpg

For the chipping effects, are you using a masking technique, or are you actually chipping away the paint?

On the red area its latex masking applied with a craft knife, on the dark weathering its carefull use of paint & pastel & 800 grit wet & dry paper for the sanding.

If its awhite chip thin its prob paint scratched away with a knife or a steel ruler.

Your palette is a PD top body ? :eek

Awesome job Guy, that would be great to have a tuto (a step by step, only on an area, a wing for exemple :p) for the noobz like me ! Anyway your thread is already a great help !

Julien, you far from a noobz, I've seen your work bud & its outstanding. Well spotted on the PD top

I think I have 3 sides yet to do on the wings so I'll do a step by step on the next couple, its a bit difficult for me as I re do so much as I work, but I'll do my best for you. For example the wing in the pic above has changed already, 10 mins after posting it I reallised it was a bit OTT so I covered some of it with base coat & started again. It doesn't look as good but is more intune with the prop. I'm away now all weekend but will be starting again on Tuesday

Last edited:

Hehe Guy you surestime my paint skills lol
Thanks for the step by step, I know it takes a lot of time, taking pics between each step etc... so thanks ! Cant wait to see more Guy ! :thumbsup

Yes, YES .. to MonsieurTox you listen!

:)

Guy, I love what I'm seeing .. and I'm saving everything as reference ;)

Hopefully guy's I'll get time to do a step by step on a few things next week, I'm in a hotel in London planning my attack.I'm planning on a step by step of

Butt plate.
R2 strip.
A few wing sides.
Nose cone.
& the tie in of it all.

Not in that order!!!!

There is hours of work ahead of me so I'll do my best for it all to make sense.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back