would amazing spiderman be more successful if it came first

sp1derman

Sr Member
So I'm watchingboth films tonight's and I think ASK and ASM2 are far better then the rami films but that's my opinion. ASM2 has problems but I'd still pick it over the rami films.
My questionis imagine we lived in a world where the rami films never happend and ASM was spidys first outing would it have been more successful and loved?

And if I've never been to Italy maybe I'd still think Domino's was authentic pizza.

Rami is closer to the Lee-Ditko Spider-Man. That's why I like it more.

I'm in the Rami camp... though I can't say I was ever a fan of Dunst as MJ...

Loved the first two films (minus the whole taking off his mask every time there were people around - some secret identity there!)

Wasn't overly enamored with the 3rd... waaay too busy and no real plot...

To put things in perspective, I missed seeing AMS in the theaters so I bought the blu-ray at Costco when it came out, watched it, and promptly returned it the next weekend...

This from a guy that has the Affleck Daredevil and the Renolds Green Lantern movies in his collection lol

Still haven't seen ASM2 yet,,,

I'd vote Raimi over ASM as well. I've also not yet seen ASM2...and I'm in no hurry to either.

I wasn't asking for people to choose I know most people prefer rami which is fair enough my question is if ASK was the only spider-manfilm would it be more well received?
The first rami film will always have a special place for me I don't get the the love for Spiderman 2 though :/ I thought it was pretty awful lol

Raimi's Spider-Man did too many thing's right to not be the better and more successful film. I think adding Emma Stone to any Spider-Man film is a plus, but not making her MJ is a head-scratcher.

For me, Amazing Spider-Man 2 was the equivalent of Schumacher's Batman & Robin.... sorry.

If vote ASM! Also I liked the Blonde Gwen instead of the Red MJ.... But now that's not happening anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

Gwen needed some GH-325 from Coulson's team.. To bad they are in different universes.

The ASM series seems much more "generic modern summer blockbuster" than the Raimi series IMO.

The Raimi series had weak points (like the entire 3rd movie) but it had a flavor of its own. Looking back on it now, it feels distinctly pre-Chris-Nolan.

Bruce Campbell :)
Not sure about if the lizard came first if it would have made a difference. It is the least favourite of the 5 for me so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so here's the thing. Yes, if there was nothing to compare Amazing Spider-Man to, then it would probably have been more successful than it has been.

I caught the last few minutes of the first film on television the other night ahead of the Sons of Anarchy premier, so here are my thoughts on the matter... I think Andrew Garfield's a fine Peter. I think he does a good job with what he's given and he looks the role to me more than Tobey did. Also, I have no problems with Emma Stone as Gwen. Again, she does a fine job with what she's given.

The problem for me comes from the overall writing. Where the first movie is at its best (I haven't seen the second and really have no plans to do so) is when it's small-scale. Peter talking to Gwen. Peter talking to Aunt May. Peter cracking wise while busting small-time crime. For me, these things WORK and I attribute that wholly to the performances. Where things fall apart is when they try to raise the stakes. In my house, the short-hand for a poorly written deus ex machina is "Crane Scene" because of the first film. If we could somehow meld the two: Garfield and Stone instead of Maguire and Dunst, but with the better written story (though still FAR from perfect because I cringe whenever I hear someone say "don't tell Harry" during those films), we'd have one hell of a good Spider-Man film.

Tobey+Maguire+the+Man+of+Many+Faces_e2de3f_5125514.png
I found this image previously posted on tumblr and thought it was pretty funny:lol

In my opinion, yes, TASM would be more successful had there not been a raimi..there are too many people who have a special place in their heart for the first spider-man series for it to have not taken an affect on the ratings of the new spider-man movie

Did a new spider-man series have to be done though? I think so.. there were not enough ties to the comic spidey in the raimi, the 3rd movie just tried to squeeze in too much because the previous just hadn't explained enough yet to justify taking it that far, and the cast was a little below par..also, i personally believe that the ASM movies hit it right on the mark by not making emma stone mary jane.. mary jane is peters last girlfriend from my understanding, there is more of a story to tell when you start off with his real high school sweetheart so maybe he can hit it off with felicia and later on have mary jane come into the picture! I want to be able to follow peters love and heartbreak and losses and everything that comes with being a superhero..not just stability and security. I'm not saying andrew garfield is a perfect spidey, because he's not, but just a different take on peter, and thats pretty cool in my mind

So again, just in my opinion, the new TASM is doing a great job telling the story a way that it should be told, so that even people that didn't grow up reading comics can understand that mary jane isn't the only person who ever was in peters life, it even finally brought some clarification as to what happened to peters parents..finally!!!!

I think ASM would definitely have done better than raimi had it (raimi) never existed

MMMM - originally I felt the Raimi spiderman was more akin to the Peter Parker I remembered from reading the comics as a kid during the late 80s/90s but then i've recently gone back and from the start PP was more akin to an amalgamation of Toby and Andrew - Andrew has the whole "i'm dark and brooding and misunderstood thing" going but that isn't really what we saw from Peter till later on; Toby had the "i'm nerdy and therefore others find me superior" which was there but missed the confidence the PP originally had.

Overall Raimi hit the mark for the first film but I think that the franchise itself needs to work out where it is going - TASM seems to have the same pace issue TASM2 had where there is a good amount of conflict for the start then the last stanza tries to put too many different things in w/ a view that they can WOW us into submission. Pacing is the biggest issue i think we have seen in both the movies. The loss of spidey being confusing for ppl due to the media as whether he is good or bad in TASM is another deficit I think.

But obviously when you come along after a film which stood out 10yrs prior to the reboot then of course ppl will compare it unfavourably

But if you are going to really go by the comics, Peter should have dated Betty Brant first, then a small fling with Liz Allen before he even met Gwen. Then after Gwen dies he was with Mary Jane for years before Felicia Hardy ever even entered the comics. And for the longest time he only saw her when he was Spider-man. She was Catwoman to his Batman. There was also the time he spent with Glory Grant. And I think he was also with Ned Leeds sister for awhile. All of this was way before he married Mary Jane, because she and him were on again/off again for decades in the comics.

Wow, you know a lot more than me:lol thanks for the info!:D and well, I'm not saying the movies need to go EXACTLY like comic spidey, but i think it was made very well..for it being just a movie. Because they could have very well and just as easily skipped straight to Mary Jane right away, just as they did in the Raimi films...but they didn't :) and I can really appreciate that! I don't think they could have squeezed in every girl in the order that they go without proper character development unless they did about 8 to 10 films (which would be awesome) lol

But if you are going to really go by the comics, Peter should have dated Betty Brant first, then a small fling with Liz Allen before he even met Gwen. Then after Gwen dies he was with Mary Jane for years before Felicia Hardy ever even entered the comics. And for the longest time he only saw her when he was Spider-man. She was Catwoman to his Batman. There was also the time he spent with Glory Grant. And I think he was also with Ned Leeds sister for awhile. All of this was way before he married Mary Jane, because she and him were on again/off again for decades in the comics.

The Gwen storyline HAS to be done. It is one of the quintessential moments of Spider-man's life. The deaths of Captain Stacy (originally by Doc Ock) and Gwen are two of the most important defining arcs of Spider-man's career. If you are going to leave that out you might as well leave out the death of Uncle Ben. Those three deaths are what makes Spider-man who is is. Amazing Spider-man #121-122 (death of Gwen and the Goblin) are two of, if not the best, comic books ever produced. Peter needs the death of Gwen in his life to give his character its purpose. It is part of his make up. The death of Gwen haunted Peter much more than even Ben's death.

Despite all his history with Mary Jane, she will always be his second choice. Putting Mary Jane first in the Raimi films was blasphemy IMHO.

Everything you could ever possibly need for ten or more Spider-man movies takes place between Amazing Spider-man #1 and about #150. Everything after that is just candy coating. If you want the real Spider-man story, seek out those comics as they are the Bible of Spider-man.

The Gwen storyline HAS to be done. It is one of the quintessential moments of Spider-man's life. The deaths of Captain Stacy (originally by Doc Ock) and Gwen are two of the most important defining arcs of Spider-man's career. If you are going to leave that out you might as well leave out the death of Uncle Ben. Those three deaths are what makes Spider-man who is is. Amazing Spider-man #121-122 (death of Gwen and the Goblin) are two of, if not the best, comic books ever produced. Peter needs the death of Gwen in his life to give his character its purpose. It is part of his make up. The death of Gwen haunted Peter much more than even Ben's death.

Despite all his history with Mary Jane, she will always be his second choice. Putting Mary Jane first in the Raimi films was blasphemy IMHO.

Everything you could ever possibly need for ten or more Spider-man movies takes place between Amazing Spider-man #1 and about #150. Everything after that is just candy coating. If you want the real Spider-man story, seek out those comics as they are the Bible of Spider-man.
I can't agree.

Yes, the Gwen Stacy death is very important to Spider-Man - but, it's not even close to the same level as the loss of Uncle Ben. Spidey's purpose is defined by Ben's death and is the sole reason Spider-Man became a hero. While Gwen's death was just as tragic, it wasn't what propelled Peter to change from a opportunist to a hero.

I might agree that skipping the Gwen arc in the Raimi films missed a great chance to establish a great motivation and history for the character. I don't feel putting MJ first was nearly as bad as you suggest - most folks aren't familiar with Gwen and most comic book movies give/take liberally with the comic book movies. But, yes they missed a great chance to tell a great story and missed a defining moment not just for Spider-Man but for comics in general.

As far as MJ being second choice. Meh. There's no way to know that - it's fantasy to think that Peter/Gwen wouldn't have gone the way of many young relationships and fall apart - and you never know if MJ might've been the catalyst that pushed the two apart when they finally meet.

I don't think so, personally.

If there weren't a set of Spider-Man movies in existence (and well-regarded, for the most part), I don't think the ASM movies would still be all that popular. Why? Because of two fundamental things: story and character. The stories are no more than a series of set-ups for action scenes and they're just so far off the mark with the character of Peter that it's upsetting to a long-time fan of the comic books, like me. Though the stories have changed over the years, for the most part, Peter's character has pretty much been consistent. He is the quintessential "good man"; his personality is one we can all relate to at one point or another. He says in the second Raimi movie, "punch me, I bleed" and I think that perfectly sums up his character. I tend to care for a person like that and not a self-centered, angst-y, stuck-up, little sh17 that will bark at his surrogate parents that "they aren't his real parents" despite them raising him since he was born. Despite ASM throwing in some things from the comics that weren't in the Raimi movies, I amazingly still didn't care; none of the characters were developed and the story wasn't well enough for me to care.

I get that they're trying to appeal to a newer "generation" *cough*bankingoffofTwilight-kidswithneedlesslydarkovertonesthankstoBatman*cough* but I think there comes a point where you have to call it for what it is: Sony made this movie to keep the film rights to Spider-Man. Though there were ups and downs in the Raimi movies, at least for two movies, you saw that someone cared making them. These new ones I can't get behind because it feels like no-one cares. Keep the film rights, shovel some toys while you're out, and make money. Use 'em and lose 'em and wait for the next iteration to come out to peddle merchandise.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back