Wooden Starship USS Enterprise Model

holy crap that is incredible. Wish my grandfather was alive to see that. I used to sit on the stool in his workshop giving him instructions on how my battlestar galactica viper was to be made and all the details he was missing. That was back in the early 80's. he made them from scratch and painted them for me. This brings back those memories and how great they were. Using no paint but to relief cut in the lettering is incredible.

definitely a true craftsman. Thanks for sharing.

That reminds me of when I was little, I asked my dad to make me a TOS communicator. So he made me one, but all I could do was complain about how it didn't match the show 100% instead of appreciating that he made me one period...haha. But I owe it to my father who taught me all about how to use tools and techniques. Here's to our dads!

Great work you are a true craftsmen, when you first posted this build all I could see were the mistakes, having built multiple versions of the old AMT kit then the Polar Lights 1000 scale kits and CGI models of the Enterprise, but then I remembered back almost thirty years ago I built wood models of various Star Trek ships which didn't have models at the time, the Grissom and the Excelsior. Yes they weren't perfect but all the work that went into made them even better than a store bought kit.

Great work you are a true craftsmen, when you first posted this build all I could see were the mistakes, having built multiple versions of the old AMT kit then the Polar Lights 1000 scale kits and CGI models of the Enterprise, but then I remembered back almost thirty years ago I built wood models of various Star Trek ships which didn't have models at the time, the Grissom and the Excelsior. Yes they weren't perfect but all the work that went into made them even better than a store bought kit.

Well, I apologize that my mistakes distracted you so much, but I'm glad that it's recognizable enough that you could tell which ship it is.

It also ties together the sailing ships built of wood and you could see this sitting in the Captain's quarters to make this reminder daily...

You might consider a small plaque with that poem for the model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three words: work of art! :thumbsup A superb replica that any museum would be proud to own! You need to make a Bird of Prey and then go and make a Star Wars AT-AT walker :)

Three words: work of art! :thumbsup A superb replica that any museum would be proud to own! You need to make a Bird of Prey and then go and make a Star Wars AT-AT walker :)

Thank you! I'm working on the plans for making an old school Klingon Battlecruiser. I'll make a Romulan Bird of Prey after that.

Looking forward to the Klingon and Romulan.

I'm wrapping things up on my current project (Star Wars ROTJ Imperial Guard Helmet) and will be rolling on these shortly. BTW, here are PNGs of the 3ft x 4ft engineering prints I made for these ships to build scale...and 16 board feet of maple!

Klingon 01.pngKlingon 02.pngRomulan.pngDSC03825.JPG

Friends,
I've gotten several inquiries about building this 36 inch model for people. The price is $3000 with a $600 down payment and a signed agreement. The lead time on each is 2-3 months. I plan to make a smaller version either 12" or 18" long that would be around $1000, but the feasibility of that size needs to be tested first. If anyone is interested in buying one, please contact me through my website www.kretschmerkreativ.com. I want to respect The RPF's rules about running commerce through this page, so please contact me outside TheRPF.
LLAP!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back