Wolverine all day baby! Jackets, belts, claws, oh my.

Those ones on ebay are nice. Not wanting to spend $55 on them.

I just purchased a set from here
Wolverine Dogtags - X-men weapon-X Dog tags.
They are stainless steel. I'm gonna beat the bejeezus out of them. And hey...I'm a chemistry teacher. I have access to some chemicals that will age these quite well!

Which ones did you get? X1-3 or origins?

As far as the X1-3 style, is there anything different from the movie tags than what it would be if you had them made using the standard canadian military stamping method?

I'm guessing that the standard issue are some sort of aluminum ala GI tags. Not the stainless steel this site is offering. But I like the idea of having a stainless set!

Are there any vatiations of the tag between 1, 2, and 3? I was looking at the real tag pictured here (the one in the snow). Hugh Jackman Wolverine dog tag display from X-2

I noticed that the numbers look to be a smaller font than the name. The number starts over the "O" and ends over the "N". There are no dashes and the "3" is a round top style.

I noticed the guy charging $55 seems to have the numbers as large as the letters and his "3" is a flat top style.

I think the only one I saw where the letter/number sizing looked right were officially licensed but they have dashes and I believe there is some sort of info text on the back.

I just purchased a set from here
Wolverine Dogtags - X-men weapon-X Dog tags.
They are stainless steel. I'm gonna beat the bejeezus out of them. And hey...I'm a chemistry teacher. I have access to some chemicals that will age these quite well!

That's funny...the link to the Hero tags on Live Auctioneers were priced at $4000-$6000 and based on the photo they provided, I can tell you that they were NOT the actual screen worn tags. I know this because those are:

A.) actually stamped not machined letters
B.) the only scene in any two films that showcased those tags together was the flashback celebration of the Weapon X project between the scientists
C.) tsince those are actual dogtags, you can see the sharp edge where they were pryed and cut, leaving a very noticable sharp edge on the Hero tag.

The original hero tag was made alone and upsidedown from the actual Canadian printing method and were at least twice as thick as the stainless steel versions, and yes the real tags are steel and not easy to snap apart. I have two sets and have to dremel the damn things to seperate them.

So the screen used versions were not accurate and the letters were machined to half thickness, very deep and clean, no indents of punching like all real tags have.

This is the REAL auctioned hero tags and costume from X1 and a scene from the end of X2 for good measure, so you can judge yourself on how it's suppose to look:

so what I'm trying to say is that LIve Auctioneers were duped once again. Be sure to do your homework on these tags or you'll run a high bill if you don't. :lol

Help me out here Tony, I'm a little slow...How are the tags sold on the site I posted different from the screen used? I bought the ones for $10.99 thinking they were good close enoughs (and the fact that I can't tell the difference should point to the obvious conclusion that they are good enough for me!lol)
Here is the actual pic of the ones that I bought...
wolverine_cdn.jpg

Help me out here Tony, I'm a little slow...How are the tags sold on the site I posted different from the screen used? I bought the ones for $10.99 thinking they were good close enoughs (and the fact that I can't tell the difference should point to the obvious conclusion that they are good enough for me!lol)
Here is the actual pic of the ones that I bought...

Well I was attempting to talk about it above but it seems to have gottem over looked in the current conversation. Her it is again.

Are there any vatiations of the tag between 1, 2, and 3? I was looking at the real tag pictured here (the one in the snow). Hugh Jackman Wolverine dog tag display from X-2

I noticed that the numbers look to be a smaller font than the name. The number starts over the "O" and ends over the "N". There are no dashes and the "3" is a round top style.

I noticed the guy charging $55 seems to have the numbers as large as the letters and his "3" is a flat top style.

I think the only one I saw where the letter/number sizing looked right were officially licensed but they have dashes and I believe there is some sort of info text on the back.

You will notice that on the ones you bought, the length of of the number line and the name line are the same. The number line should be shorter and smaller text.

It also looks like the ones you got are engraved, not stamped (note the text is deep and bold on the real tag).

Yeah, I saw that MJF. I know the text is off and I know that the placement of the text is off, I only want a close enough. I was more interested in what Tony was talking about. Other than the text these look OK, at least I thought...

I guess it really is what you feel is acceptable to you. I think if you are just concerned with shape (and not thickness, from what Tony says) and text (correct in what it states, not in look/method/font/size), then I guess you are golden.

The eBay vendor sells them as you see them in my screen caps I posted, most likely the ones on the screen worn hero costume are his as the way he does the edges are very particular and unique, unlike the one from the X2 still. Your tags are actual stainless steel Candanian issued tags and yes they have to engrave into them, as they did on yours. But the eBay vendor sells screen accurate which are not at all like the real issued versions, but made of a thicker softer metal that is aged in a chemical bath of an unknown chemical which is an option and I believe it's from a mold so the letters are neither engraved nor stamped. The steel ones will last you forever if you wear it. The eBay replica version will not, but it makes for a killer display piece. Did I answer your question, hollow?

Be sure when you split the two, to grind/file the edges as they are sharp and will cut.

...But the eBay vendor sells screen accurate which are not at all like the real issued versions...

Well, I would say "screen like" since his text is off... unless, like I asked earlier, there is a screen used variant from the X-men films.

I'm thinking he did the tags similar to the way I did my BSG tags

a283595d4c01dcf5de7cd9fb7d43e82619f193f_r.jpg

Yes the Words are in line with the numbers in the tag on the costume and on the eBay vendor version which leads me to believe those ARE his.

What method are you referring to to achieve the deep lettering in the metal?

Oh. It seemed like you were implying you had another method. By the way that detail and the whole piece is quite amazing. I'm very impressed. Not a Stargate fan, but I'm incline to think you can pull of a run of these X1 tags better than that eBay fella. ;)

Not a Stargate fan, but I'm incline to think you can pull of a run of these X1 tags better than that eBay fella. ;)

And you are obviously not a Battlestar Galactica fan either... :p

Thank you. I take a lot of pride in my items that I do. I put a lot of research into the tags. I researched as much as I could about different screen used and what made for a good replica that people could wear that would also reflect quality as well. I guess that is why I am coming off picky about the Wolverine tags. No doubt that that guy makes some good looking tags but I am disappointed that with all that effort, he did not seem to notice (or may did not care) about the text sizing and style.

I think it would be a great challenge to see if I could come up with a replica however a couple of things would hinder it. 1. I would need to do a minimum of 100 tags and 2. I would have to see if I could get a decent metal for the base. The BSG tags were easy because I used solid brass without any type of plating. That let the tag weather naturally and you could beat it up and if you wanted, polish it back to as new condition. I could easily do a antique silver plating but that would tend to wear as it gets worn and you would see the casted metal which is usually brass or like my Rebel and Imperial flight wing pins, copper. I would need to see if they could do something like nickle or other silver like metal.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back