WIP Oblivion DRONE kit

I spotted a resin kit of one of these on eBay just now. Sellers name is kellyfabrication. Same person?

That kit on Ebay by Kellyfabrication is NOT the same kit as this one shown in this thread. It is not nearly as accurate or as clean. Not bashing it, but there are some pretty big shape issues.

Bill

Bill you talk like you have this kit.... do you have it, if so is it a smooth finish and do you rate it. Would love to have one if it's any good

Bill you talk like you have this kit.... do you have it, if so is it a smooth finish and do you rate it. Would love to have one if it's any good
unfortunately I do not have this kit. I just know that the one on E-bay was around before he started working on this. I was scratchbuilding one about the same time this kit started life so somewhat familiar with his progress. He got the shapes much better.

Bill

20160604_141254.jpg IMG_8981.jpg
Alright folks I've got these done to the point I have a few complete kits that can go out the door.

The kits include clear parts for lighting the main and supplemental rear thrusters, eye gimbal, and 'scanner' port. The 'eye' gimbal has a clear spherical ball lens and vacformed cover lens. LEDs for lighting are not included.

Decals are included as well as brass tubing for the gun barrels and wire for the 5 antennae. (not pictured)

This is a 'garage kit' and will require some minor cleanup, but to be honest -and not intending to flatter myself - I've seen some bad garage kits in my time that would be a nightmare to clean up and buyers not batting an eye over it. This isn't that kind of kit. I wouldn't send out something that I'd hate to have to clean up myself (and I'm lazy). Everything outside the main rotocast body is pressure cast (which minimizes but does not 100% eliminate bubbles)

What you will need is glue and some experience with resin kits in order to build one of these drones. If you pick one up early, I offer full support and you'll get all the parts but you will be on the 'bleeding edge' as far as this kit goes. I'll be producing an instruction guide PDF, but the first few kits will arrive without. Until then I'm available and you can freely message me with any questions as far as assembly. I'll post this in the 'Project Runs' section with all ordering info, or please PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest and orders folks! BTW, if anybody has a raw kit (unfinished parts) from GoldenArmor I'd offer 25% off this kit for a swap - OR I'll give you 20 bucks off and cover shipping both ways to 'borrow' your GoldenArmor kit - if you still want to try to recoup the investment on eBay or the like. I'm very keen to compare the sets of parts side by side for anyone who is on the fence.

Last edited:
I know one of the main the things that kept me from the "Golden" Armor kit was that the gun shrouds are molded/separated right in the middle. So that's an extra step (or 4) that I, personally, didn't want to hassle with: having to line each up perfectly for gluing (if they do indeed line up) and then having to fill each seam and smooth them out, just didn't appeal to me.They're still visible at certain angles of the GA "finished" Drone on his site.

Not sure why GA didn't build the gun turret separately like logan74k did. In addition to allowing the 4 gun shrouds be one piece (and saving lazy, old men like myself extra work), it also allows the option of having the 2 gun turrets be "open" in firing position.

GA's scribe/indentation lines don't look to be as clean/straight as logan74k's either, at least based on photos of each (Haven't received my logan74k kit yet, so can't verify). And it seems logan74k's is a much more detailed kit, i.e., compare each kit's "eye," or rear exhaust port (located at the upper-rear-starboard side), or that the 4 outermost gun shrouds aren't hollow like logan74k's are. Plus logan74k has many more parts (which could be a negative for some, but I find it to be a positive).

The Golden Armor Drone is by no means a horrible kit (and I know it's WAY better than I could ever scratch-build) and it is less expensive. Can't really tell if it's bigger than logan74k's, the same, or smaller. But the items mentioned above (along with GA's less than stellar reputation here) kept me from going that route. But that's just my 2 cents. And I've been wrong before. ;)

Chris

Appreciate the insight and attention to detail Chris - in parting out my kit I did try to locate seams wherever filling would be the easiest or least necessary. I too was surprised by the choice of splitting the guns mid-part in GA's kit. There's a natural break where the gun comes out of the turret a scant half inch forward of that point, which will need to be painted a separate color - why cut it there?! Ha. Almost certainly to do with ease of molding the shape - but then he went and did a simple cut mold with huge offsets right through a bunch of the panel lines anyway. My kit also has a deep recess for the guns so no filling will be necessary when gluing them.

GA is a smaller kit (6.5" ball vs 8.25") but he variously calls it out as either 1:5 or 1:6 scale, where it's actually closer to 1:9. If that kit were scaled up 5 or 6 times it would be 32 or 39 inches in diameter. The actual film drone is HUGE, and lacking solid measurements I did some careful image analysis and came up with about 57 inches high for the 'real' machine. I felt true 1:6 would be a bit too big at 9.5 inches around and 1:7 is sufficient for the detail while still looking about right next to the 1:6 figure.

I haven't got the GA kit to do a direct comparison (yet) but I've seen good closeups - I think you'll be pleased with the difference in attention to detail.

I haven't seen the GD kit in person nor Logan's kit, BUT I can say for certain that the back end lower area of the GD is pretty off. On the real drone the bottom of the angled face curves to meet the engine section. GD is squared-off with no blend at all. To me that was the most obvious error. The shape of the rear is a little trickier than it would seem and logan74K nailed it.

Bill

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back