WIP -"A Compedium of Supernatural Beings and Effective Countermeasures"

DARTH SABER

Master Member
I've recently been thinking about doing a conceptual "Monster Journal" prop using a vintage looking leatherbound journal/sketchbook -
journalcopy.jpg

The title will be "A Compedium of Supernatural Beings and Effective Countermeasures: Vol 1"

The book will basically be an encyclopedia (Circa late 1800's/early 1900's) of monster history, lore, facts, and known methods of defeating them.

Along with these facts there will be a personal journal (from the original "owner" of the handbook) in the form of footnotes and memos scribbled along the sides of the pages which recount the "owner's" many encounters.
Probably also add, little paper props as insets (maybe train or ship ticket stubs from a journey the "owner" took to Transylvania, or old photos of of creatures captured on film, etc)
Im planning on doing all of the text and illustrations with a traditional crow quill pen ink method and pencil.

I was wondering if you guys might be able to help out with a list of creatures/monsters that I might be able to add to the book.
I want to concentrate more on classic or European based monsters, and traditional folklore monsters.
While I don't object to certain Greek mythological monsters, I pretty much want to keep that to a minimum.

So far I have -

Vampires
Werwolves
Zombies
Banshee
Sasquatch
Trolls
Mothman
Jersey Devil
Succubus
Incubus

THanks.

DS

Last edited:
Re: Monster Hunter's journal - Need suggestions

ghosts (various), demons, chupacobra. Have you looked into critters from Celtic legend too? you have brownies, water horses, and tons of other critters. You could put elves in there if you feel evil lol

So, we are working on the same exact thing then?:lol

I totally support the idea, I might suggest putting other legendary creatures and even demons, for the creatures I could also suggest some from the Lovecraftian mythology, while fictional, I think they could add a nice "touch" :)

That being said...

Dragons
basilisk
sirens (as the original half-bird women)
ghosts (really popular in legends, especially in europe)
rusalki (from Russia and Ukraine, interesting stuff, search it on Google;))
Baba Yaga
golem

I'll post more as soon as I remember them:)

I'll look in our books on celtic myths and see what i can come up with.

So, we are working on the same exact thing then?:lol

Oh, I definitely have to check that out when you're done!

Im also thinking of doing an intergalactic game hunter's journal.
Similar premise (late 1800's timeline) ,but will feature a game hunter that goes to Venus, and documents all the strange creatures, plant life, and adventures he encounters.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions guys. Im definitely going to look them up. I can only have so many monsterts in the book, so Ill just pick the ones that are best suited.

I almost forgot - The Kraken! -
kraken2_h.jpg

soc05_kraken.jpg

pd2361261.jpg

THanks again for the suggestions.

Anyhow, Ive ordered all the things I need for the project, just need to wait for them to arrive.

Ever since I switched to digital art a few years ago it , I rarely use traditional methods anymore, so I've been doing some traditional practice sketches for the project.

pencilcomp1.jpg

pencilcomp2.jpg

pencilcomp3.jpg

pencilcomp4.jpg

img10.jpg

More updates later.

DS

Very nice scketches, they will make your book really stand out.

May I suggest you have a look at the scketch book from both Brom and Mike Mignola with whom you share some common style with. They sketch a lot of very interesting takes on the monsters you and others have listed.

Keep up the fantastic work

You already know I love your style and I think that traditional media will suit this idea perfectly, so I'm really curious to see your first pages of the journal... I can't wait :)

Thanks guys.

Very nice scketches, they will make your book really stand out.

May I suggest you have a look at the scketch book from both Brom and Mike Mignola with whom you share some common style with. They sketch a lot of very interesting takes on the monsters you and others have listed.

Keep up the fantastic work

I've seen Broms sketch book, but haven't seen Mignolas...does it have a specific title?

DS

You can also get inspired by a similar book called "The Great Encyclopedia of Faeries"
by Pierre Dubois. It has a lot of mythical creatures labeled as faeries.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back