Will Alan Moore ever watch "Watchmen"?

aeonpulse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
He's publicly denounced the movie, even though he's never seen it. To be fair, he gave "V for Vendetta" a chance, and while it wasn't necessarily a bad movie, it butchered the source material. He gave "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" a chance, and holy crap was that awful.

I honestly feel like that if he gave "Watchmen" a chance, while I'm certain he would still probably hate the film, he might at least appreciate the effort that Zack Snyder made to stick to and honor the original source material. Personally I loved the movie. Some people have issues with it, mostly how the ending was changed, but I understand why it was done and I don't have an issue with it. Trying to explain that Veidt bioengineered a gigantic alien squid to an audience who had mostly not read the comic would have been nearly impossible to do within three hours. People just wouldn't get it.

In short, I really hope Moore at least gives it a chance some day. If anything, he might enjoy Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal of Rorschach.

I don't think he'll ever like Watchmen no matter how good it is. Moore is very "If I wanted my comic to be a movie, I would've written a GD movie" about his materials. And with the ending changed, that would be enough for him to denounce it.

He still seem to like the paycheck he gets for people buying the movie rights...
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is not the greatest movie or that faithful to the comic but i love the "mix different book hero's into one adventure" typ of movies.
Sean Connery was great as Allan Quatermain

He still seem to like the paycheck he gets for people buying the movie rights...

At NY ComicCon the year that Watchman came out, Dave Gibbons said that Moore was so against the film that he even refused to accept money for it. Don't know if it's true, but I was front and center when he said it.

At NY ComicCon the year that Watchman came out, Dave Gibbons said that Moore was so against the film that he even refused to accept money for it. Don't know if it's true, but I was front and center when he said it.

I don't know how much influence he has about comics to movies like Watchmen. Watchmen is owned by DC so I guess they can do whatever they want, with Moore's blessings or not.

Yeah, Moore definitely doesn't have any say about what comics of his are turned into live-action films. All he can really do is publicly denounce them and insult the people involved.

I have his taste in his movie works.

Actually I didn't realize all 3 were his. He translates to film as poorly as Stephen King. Although I'm willing to give Lost Girls a chance.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is not the greatest movie or that faithful to the comic but i love the "mix different book hero's into one adventure" typ of movies.
Sean Connery was great as Allan Quatermain

Actually he has come out a couple times and publicly stated that he would not watch any movie based on his works, and his share of any revenue goes to the artist of the comics....He has never been directly associated with any films as the rights were owned by the comic publishers...

There are actually quite a few writers of novels that refuse to have their work made into a movie - regardless of money. It's a shame since there is a plethora of great stories that can be adapted for the big screen - and may never will.

I highly doubt he has not received a dime or spent said money from the film. I loved the book, and the film for different reasons. Haley was perfectly cast.

Heck David Hayter wrote the movie and he hates how it ended up. Apparently it got changed a lot from the version he handed in so it sounds like nobody is fond of it, I know Hayter is very vocal about Fox execs meddling in the movie process and says he'd rather not ever work for them again (which might be why he keeps getting passed up for anything to do with the Metal Gear movie lol). If Moore owns the rights to his books how'd they make the movie without his okay?

I highly doubt he has not received a dime or spent said money from the film. I loved the book, and the film for different reasons. Haley was perfectly cast.

He doesn't want any of his cut, he's said to give all the money he's due to Dave Gibbons. He hates DC, and his dispute with them over ownership over his work for hire work for them has led to him not wanting any money off adaptations of his work and to not have his name attached to them.

To be honest, I don't think ANYTHING can make Alan Moore happy,...it just doesn't seem to be in his nature. He's like your crazy uncle and grumpy old grandpa all rolled up into one scary looking ball of creativity....

Sounds like he's a good example of why so many small companies let the creators keep their ownership of their books. Capn, you wanna see crazy check out James O'barr who created the Crow. I met him in Pittsburgh and i'm not sure what he was on but I wanted to try it lol. I can't blame Moore for being unhappy, the big companies have a bad history of how they handle their staff.

I don't think I will ever understand some peoples reasoning.

Like people who avoid seeing a movie in the theatre or buying/renting the same movie. As if they are accomishing something by waiting for it to come on HBO or Starz. All that tells me is that you are interested in seeing it, but would rather deprive yourself in some vain effort to strike a blow at someone else.

I think Watchman was a great graphic novel and a great movie. I just don't understand abstaining from one because you like the other.

It's OK to like them both! Really! Nothing bad will happen if you enjoy different takes on the same concept.

True dat,...business interests often leave those who create the properties that become their bread and butter out in the cold. As to O'Barr, I've never seen him at a con ( living in the Southeast US, we don't get a lot of substatial conventions) but now I REALLY want to! He sounds like he could be most entertaining...

Sounds like he's a good example of why so many small companies let the creators keep their ownership of their books. Capn, you wanna see crazy check out James O'barr who created the Crow. I met him in Pittsburgh and i'm not sure what he was on but I wanted to try it lol. I can't blame Moore for being unhappy, the big companies have a bad history of how they handle their staff.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back